Open relationships?

As suggested what is everyone’s thoughts on open relationships and is anyone actively in one?

For me I personally don’t think I’d cope too well as would become paranoid and worry if they’d sleep with someone to then get feelings for them and ditch me :scream:
But on the alternative hand I’m not sure if I’d turn down a threesome if it was me and partner (when I eventually get one!) plus the third wheel lol

3 Likes

@AJSTAR i am completely the same.
I could not let someone else be with the same woman as me. I get too attached and it would break my heart.

4 Likes

Exactly!! I get emotional attachment too and believe sex is a spiritual thing that joins two together on a heightened level of emotion which is what makes it special.

4 Likes

I’m not, and personally it wouldn’t be something for me.

Being in a relationship and being in love with my partner makes me quite selfish - she’s mine, I’m hers. My gf would also feel the same, it would cause too much head stuff for us both. I think if my OH approached me and asked if we could be open I’d be worried about our relationship - of course I would listen to reasons etc., but would have to be a compelling case for me to consider myself, and knowing my partner pretty well I am very confident in saying it simply isn’t for either of us.

I do have the occasional fantasy of my OH being with another lady, as for me it wouldn’t feel so threatening. And this is with me watching as she wouldn’t appreciate seeing me touching someone else in any sexual manner - reality is if she suggested a 3-way of any kind I would say no. I wouldn’t risk what I have for something that I would likely f*ck up some how.

If I was single, I would happily try a 3-some on a sex only basis as feelings and emotions are not involved and I wouldn’t have any attachment, but the idea in itself doesn’t do big things for me.

1 Like

You would believe the amount of times I get told I am a woman for having those views as they believe men don’t think like that.
Women are supposed to fall in love and men are to sleep around.
I get so annoyed at it.
I can only be with one woman and I need to know I am the only one sleeping with her.
It may not be everyone’s opinion and I am actually jealous of those that can have flings as it sounds fun, but just can’t bring my self to do such things.

2 Likes

I’m in one and it works for me and my partner. Although I would never cheat on someone, I’m just not completely monogamous and have always needed a certain level of openness in my relationships, whether that just be the freedom to flirt, be cuddly with close friends or all the way up to kink and sex

4 Likes

Not for me. I don’t like to share :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Me and my wife had a open relationship for a while when we where students. We have made use of it occasionally. It was really nice having the opportunity to flirt and make out with someone. But we both didn’t have sex with others, both we’re free to do so. Until we got married than we stopped.
But we are both open to swinging and definitely would like to try.

1 Like

Works in fantasy land I guess but not something that I think would work for us in reality.

1 Like

Not for me either. I’m not sharing my hubby, he’s all mine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: we both feel the same on this, I couldn’t go sleep with someone else or doing anything else with anyone and I know he won’t either. For us, it’s just us two. And without a doubt he definitely fulfills my desires and needs :smirk:

3 Likes

If someone wants to sleep with someone else, whether in a poly relationship, through swinging, or just plain cheating - there’s always a risk of them catching the feels.

How many relationships end either because someone isn’t happy with their current sex life or because they think the grass is greener elsewhere? I’ve never understood why people think that anyone in an open/swinging relationship is more at risk of being in a relationship breakdown than someone in a monogamous one. There’s an argument of course that there’s potentially less risk of them ending a relationship because they have the opportunity to live out experiences they’re not able to at home - so less likely to cheat or seek a permanent new partner.

4 Likes

An open relationship is something I have never been interested in.
There are many people who are in one, more so now than year’s ago. I watched a program a long while back that interviewed a women who had 2 boyfriends, they were aware of each other and more than happy sharing, completely lost on me.
As long as people in open relationships are happy then there is nothing wrong with it, just not for me.

2 Likes

Not for me or the OH :woman_shrugging: Neither of us want to share :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

It depends on the person for me. If I feel a connection to them and want to pursue a relationship with them, then I wouldn’t want to share. If I just felt lust for them and didn’t want anything more than friends with benefits, then I wouldn’t mind, as long as we all get tested regularly and be open about who all of us are currently being sexual with.

1 Like

Hubby and I are in what we call an open relationship in that we each have a sex buddy/fwb.

He gets to explore/induge in his bi-sexual side, and I have a sex buddy because I have a high sex drive which hubby can’t satisfy. We are open about who we are seeing and it was a decision based on wanting to make each other happy (sexually).

2 Likes

Yes very true! It could possibly be pros and cons either way you examine it and ultimately depends on the relationship

Yes I totally can relate to what you’ve said too in parts

Weirdly I sense this view could be more commonly with men than realised or at least the same balance with both men and women. Many men when happy in a relationship become content and wouldn’t ever want to stray unless their needs aren’t fulfilled which of course same can be said with women too but at the end it’s all down to the individual and their values as it seems more modern day trends are all open to anything goes type thinking

1 Like

That’s cool you’ve got that sort of freedom and trust with your partner, do you have like ground rules to determine how far your allowed to go like some open relationships say no kissing with others?

Haha I can be like that over a box of good chocolates sometimes :yum:

1 Like