Period Postponement?

Whoo Hoo!

I booked a 5-night 6-day escape without kids to Cabo with Mrs. Val to celebrate 23 years and a little way to spend some of her settlement as discussed in previous chats. Now your guess is as good as mine when it comes to when Shark Week will appear in October. (It’s like booking your next dental cleaning on March 11th, 2023 and having it line up with real life!)

Now question for the people who have the parts associated with this. We have been doing some reading on IUD’s and something to postpone periods. She is 44 and I have been sterilized for over 11 years. We are not worried about getting pregnant and she is looking for something to shut down periods for a few months.

I have sort of been against it as I think changing the body’s cycle could have other negative effects on her regular life, which then has a negative effect on mine. But as she gets more mature, the periods seem to skip around on the timing and her and I would both like a week away without the interruption of her period. I haven’t done much research, but I think she would like to do this sooner than later with camping, outdoor time, swimming and summer activities that could pause this and let her enjoy some time away from female distractions. I get they are part of life - she is looking to hit the “pause” button on it for a few months…

I was also hoping this would up her sex drive (wishful thinking?), even out her pre-menopausal swings and give us a summer of fun culminating with a week away in Mexico period free.

Thoughts? Side effects? Landmines?

I used to use Norethisterone for that purpose. Worked well for me, but doesn’t for everyone. Also, I only used it to move it by a couple of weeks, not stop it for months.

Also, a Mirena coil stopped my periods completely, but again, doesn’t work for everyone.

Norethisterone tablets are pills you can take to stop and delay your period. Norethisterone tablets need to be taken three days before you expect your period to begin and delay your period until about three days after you have taken the last tablet. They can be bought over the counter so no need to go to see GP.

I take the pop contraceptive pill and it has stopped mine completely

Right now I’m desperate for my period (don’t ask) and have done several pregnancy tests now to try and calm myself… but this post got me thinking about next year when we plan to go abroad .

Update - period arrived (along with the relief !!!)

From your profile it appears you are in Canada so I’m afraid I’m unsure of what the options are out there. My advice to anyone though is to speak to a health professional about this kind of thing. They will know your partner’s current health and what may work based on what she wants.

There can be lots of side effects (usually the opposite to what you have described as wanting!) And so it’s best for her to chat these through with somebody before going ahead with anything.

My only other advice would be using a menstrual disc (such as this one Lovehoney sell). They sit much higher at the cervix and gets tucked under the pubic bone and can be used during sex. I don’t have periods myself due to the contraception I’m on but I have friends who use similar ones to the one I linked and really rate them.

2 Likes

There’s a pill from the doctors that can delay the period

If she could use the combined oral contraceptive pill for a few months to be taken continually without a break that would be the better option but in the UK doctors don’t like prescribing it for the over 40’s…the mini-pill is another option I tried which works and doctors will prescribe for over 40’s but I had break through bleeding with that.

The pill to stop your period (Norethisterone) for me only worked about 50% of the time but like has been said you take 3 days before your period is due and you take them as long as you need to delay your period. But if she’s never sure when her period is due then they won’t be of much help.

I had a coil fitted and bled every day for just over a year…nothing major but it was there every time I wiped myself…after the year it was great…it settled in and I’ve only ever had a minor amount about 5 times in the last 6 years.

Best thing I persevered with as my periods were horrendous…I even needed blood transfusions a few times.

Hope you manage to get something that works for her…medication works differently for everyone what can change someones life for the better for another a horror story.

Good Luck

1 Like