Playstation 3 - Questions

Ork wrote:

ragrappy wrote:

PS3 has some fantastic downloadable games. PixelJunk series (Eden, Monsters and Shooter particularly), Fat Princess, Wipeout HD, Journey...

I think the xbox is just a PC-lite; a lot of the good games on xbox are non-exclusive and are available on the PS3 or PC. And PC versions are generally better.

PS3 wins out on commercial exclusives too - Uncharted series, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, inFamous, Little Big Planet, Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank...

Nod's head... but which of those is going to apeal to hardcore kill everything gamer? Quality over quantity, PS3 is a bit like the Wii, it's great for everyone, 360 was built for those of us who REALLY like to play hard... little big planet is not a hard core sort of game, so if you think about it, it comes down to what sort of gamer you are.

As for privacy.... sorry to tell you all, but if you were that important to the world you would probably be locked up by now :P while I get the privacy thing, I think if your going to moan about it, then don't use the stuff simple as that.

Are you serious?! Ork you know I have massive respect for you and your opinions but pahahaha thats just complete and UTTER bullshit. Go play Metal Gear Solid and then tell me the PS3 is a bit like the Wii, MGS is one of the most hardcore games out there..I would like to quote Wikipedia here:

It is recognized by many critics as one of the best and most important games of all time, and heralded as the game which made the stealth genre popular

The PS3 has PLENTY of titles for hardcore gamers, it is NOTHING like the Wii, the Wii is a family console, the PS3 is just as hardcore gamer friendly as Xbox 360, Resistance: FOM is just as good as Halo, in fact I preferred the gameplay and graphics (but the story isn't as good and it doesn't have the same cult following). I'm not dissing the Xbox, I've owned 4 Xboxes and 3 PS3's (so y'know..I'm speaking from experience here) and I would classify myself a hardcore gamer, I was playing Wolfenstein 3D at the age of 6 and I've sunk hours and hours into Halo and I love the series, I just don't honestly see what the Xbox 360 has over the PS3 that makes it 'more hardcore'...apart from console exclusives every game is cross platform and every game looks almost exactly the same on both consoles, and for every console exclusive on the Xbox 360 there is one on the PS3 that is just as good.
The console wars for strictly games between Microsoft and Sony is irrelevent these days due to so many publishers making titles cross platform and I fail to see how you can base your argument on that - why do you think there is such a rush by Microsoft and Sony to make their consoles full of extra features? Because the exclusive games alone aren't enought to tempt even the most die hard fans these days. I own a PS3 over an Xbox 360 for the simple fact that it has a bluray player, I have no allegience to Sony, in fact as a company in general I feel they are in quite a decline (barring their excellent dSLR/CSC photography range) but the PS3 is completely equal for games but is without question the better media device.

MoonlightSerenity wrote:

TTurtle wrote:

Give me one good reason why the Xbox is better than the PS3? And I'm not buying the whole the controller is more comfortable argument, there are enough 3rd party controllers of all different shapes and sizes for you to find one you like. I'm not saying either are the better console, simply for the fact that so many games these days are cross platform and they look identical on both, and the console specific titles are 6 of one half a dozen of the other, get an Xbox and you can enjoy Halo, Forza etc. and PS3 you ge little big planet, unchartered, Gran Turismo and whatnot, much of a muchness. As a media device PS3 wins though for the pure fact it has a bluray player

Microsoft care more about your privacy than Sony.

And Sony have stated in the past that it's online network is a free service so they don't need to fully secure your details.

Need any more convincing?

Oh I missed this. Yes, agreed with that, as I say I feel Sony as a company are in decline and they've made some incredibly poor decisions recently that have had me smh, I was dead chuffed to see anon sticking it to Sony over the whole Linux/Geohot debacle, I don't online game with consoles, the PC online gaming experience is far superior to console. I was merely commenting on the fact of people basing their arguments on the Xbox 360 being the better console because it has better titles for hardcore gamers is a rather lame argument

Thinking of PS3 vs Xbox with connect?! So many decisions!

WildThing wrote:

Thinking of PS3 vs Xbox with connect?! So many decisions!

The new 360 or the old "arcade" 360?

And I was thinking over what Sony essentially said over their privacy stuff after the hackings - to put it simply, it would be like a site such as lovehoney saying that they don't need to protect your personal details just because it's a free site. (Of which Sony and Lovehoney both deal with the same details)

TTurtle Give me one good reason why the Xbox is better than the PS3? 1) anyone whos used both knows the setup online is better. 2) The controllers are far better. 3) the xbox gets halo, COD game maps first. The PS3 network has been hacked numerous times and down more than Madonna's knickers. I always had a PS but the fact is its been left behind, the hardware is fine but its failed on the software and network. PS4 vs XBOX 720 i'm sure Sony will fail again due to its already bad recent history. What was it 3 million peoples credit card details exposed via the PS3 network. Microsoft is years ahead in security to say they are both exploitable is possibly true but only 1 has failed on a mass scale.

Natalya I just wrote out a lengthly reply to your points but I accidently closed the tab and cba to write it out all again but if you care about online gaming then I agree the xbox 360 is the better for that Xbox live is better than PSN, the controller argument is nonsicle because that is entirely personal, I find the dualshock 3 controllers to be lighter (no bulky battery pack) and easier to hold and just because you think its better it doesn't make it better, but its a peripheral and can be swapped out for a 3rd party one and there are plenty of 3rd party PS3 controllers in exactly the same shape as an Xbox 360 controller if that's a concern. And as for Halo, Halo isn't the be all and end all of gaming, if you've not played Resistance: FOM 1&2 the whole way through then you have no grounds for argument, I like Halo but Resistance was just as enjoyable and the multiplayer was excellent, and you don't get MGS on the Xbox so saying the 360 is better because you get Halo is like me saying the PS3 is better cuz you get MGS..silly argument. As for the DLC, PS3 players got the Battlefield DLC content early..so whats your point? It's just deals between MS & Sony and publishers to get content early, it's still available on the other platforms just at a later date and for every deal MS do, Sony do similar.

You're missing the point I've been trying to make throughout this entire thread, that neither console is better..by saying the xbox is better than the PS3 or vice versa smacks of pure fanboi'ism and you're not weighing up the pros and cons of both - you may PREFER the 360 because you care about online gaming, the controller is better for you, COD and Halo but I PREFER the PS3 because it serves all my gaming needs (I game online with a PC inc. COD), I like the controller better and has the superior media capabilities - just like Xbox live is without question better, the PS3 is without question superior in this aspect, it doesn't matter if you only watch DVD's, it is yesterdays technology and bluray is the CURRENT format and the Xbox is languishing in the past being only able to provide DVD playback, the PS3 also has a raft of options for content delivery, I was actually quite taken aback at just how much you can tweak the audio and video settings for the PS3 - and for someone who runs a PS3 through a Yamaha 7.1 AV receiver with a full 7.1 speaker system that is extremely important, I can tweak stuff that that the Xbox cannot. That is my reason for having a PS3 because that's what I care about, fantastic media playback and single player gaming, the PS3 can provide both, whereas the Xbox lags in this area, the Xbox 360 can provide a better online experience whereas the PS3 lags here, but neither makes them a better console, they are just as capable as each other and people need to stop this whole 'this console is better than that console' thing..that argument died when publishers got greedy and started opening up titles as cross platform, around the PS2/XBOX1 era, and it simply now a case of 'which console is best for ME'

Sorry for double post, I've just reread what I've written, I didn't mean the Xbox lags in single player gaming, I meant simply the media playback, the difference between single player experience for both PS3 and Xbox 360 for identical titles is virtually nil

TTurtle the reason xbox is languishing in the past with DVD capability is because the film industry chose Bluray over HDD which the xbox once had and had the film industry made a different decision the PS3 bluray capability would be yesterdays technology. If people want a real trouble free bluray experience both in terms of reliability and guaranteed playback then buy a stand alone player. If anyone wants a media player and offline gaming get a tablet.

WildThing kinect vs eye toy. The xbox kinect wipes the floor with the PS3 pingpopngball on a stick which is yesterdays technology.

Ork the Xbox and PS3 have exactly the same design flaw. The PS3 has YLOD the Xbox has RROD caused by exactly the same problem. Heat. Idiotic design basically.

Natalya_Rudekova wrote:

WildThing kinect vs eye toy. The xbox kinect wipes the floor with the PS3 pingpopngball on a stick which is yesterdays technology.

This I agree with, there are some very exciting things on the horizon regarding the kinect technology, however it will only really become very impressive with Kinect 2 which'll be more than likely on the 720, I owned a Kinect with my 3rd Xbox and I was impressed no doubt but the tech still has a way to come yet

Natalya_Rudekova wrote:

TTurtle the reason xbox is languishing in the past with DVD capability is because the film industry chose Bluray over HDD which the xbox once had and had the film industry made a different decision the PS3 bluray capability would be yesterdays technology. If people want a real trouble free bluray experience both in terms of reliability and guaranteed playback then buy a stand alone player. If anyone wants a media player and offline gaming get a tablet.

Oh I know the reason why Microsoft failed ;) haha. But even then Microsoft supplied the HD-DVD as an external device and not built in. But you're not coming at me with anything of substance..it doesn't matter which format won, the fact still remains that the PS3 is the better media device and if your priority is gaming and media capability the PS3 is the better console, if you prioritise online gaming and regular gaming, the xbox is the better console..not sure how I can make that clearer?

And a trouble free bluray experience both in terms of reliability and guaranteed playback? From that I have to assume you've never used a PS3 as a bluray player then? Unless you're willing to spend big bucks you're not gonna get a better bluray player for under £200, everything I've thrown at my PS3 it has been flawless, 3D blurays, (legit) DVD copies, obscure blurays, utterly flawless, and I infact did have an LG BD660 standalone bluray player and it couldn't come anywhere near the wealth of options and features of the PS3 - I would have to spend in excess of £300ish to gain the same level of audio and video tweaks the PS3 provides me with.

Ork wrote:

Natalya_Rudekova wrote:

Ork the Xbox and PS3 have exactly the same design flaw. The PS3 has YLOD the Xbox has RROD caused by exactly the same problem. Heat. Idiotic design basically.

Actually red ring of death is also commonly caused by dust, as someone who has opened up and repaired many a 360 I know well the problems they have, not a clue what issues a PS3 has though.

You're actually both singing from the same hymn sheet, dust itself won't cause problems with electronics (trust me, I've opened up users PC's with an inch thick of dust inside and its still been working), but a build up of dust will cause heat/airflow issues - the specific issue with the RROD was the heat build up inside the 360 caused the BGA solder points of either or both of the VGA and CPU chips to crack because Microsoft used poor quality solder, and the idea behind the towel method was to heat the Xbox up sufficiently to reflow the solder, and the X-clamp method to effectively bend the motherboard up in the hope it will make the BGA points make contact again.

Haha I'm not arguing, I'm not sure if it's coming across the I'm a PS3 fanboi here, totally not, I wouldn't have owned 4 Xboxes were I so, I just think by telling someone 'get an Xbox its a better console' you're doing them a great disservice and you're letting your own personal opinion cloud a reasoned toss up between the two

TTurtle yours point were bogus i'm afraid. 'You're actually both singing from the same hymn sheet, dust itself won't cause problems with electronics (trust me, I've opened up users PC's with an inch thick of dust inside and its still been working), but a build up of dust will cause heat/airflow issues - the specific issue with the RROD was the heat build up inside the 360 caused the BGA solder points of either or both of the VGA and CPU chips to crack because Microsoft used poor quality solder. A PC can cope with heat far better than a PS3 or 360 due to dedicated fans on heatsinks so a build up of dust in PC usually doesn't result in failure of the thermal compound as it would in the PS3 or 360 ,not to mention the airflow in a PC is far better due to the vast amount of space inside so comparing those as regards heat/dust was like comparing chalk and cheese. Solder points cracking is the main failure which is untrue or do you mean thermal paste failure? Overwhelmingly the fault was an xclamp popping off due to heat or thermal paste failure on the GPU or CPU due to heat. Both the PS3 and Xbox have the same failure issues it isn't exclusive to one or the other. I have made a pretty penny leading up to xmas fixing both the PS3 and Xbox. The 7.1 comment you also made as way of bigging up the PS3 settings was also a red herring so people shouldn't worry as most media isn't using 7.1 surround sound the industry standard is still 5.1