PM Rejects Call To Lower Age of Consent

I think looks can be deceiving. I am 27 and people are guessing me 20 to 23, when I was actually 23, people were guessing 15 to 17. People only realized their mistake when they actually spoke to me and realized I am most likely older than that. More over I always acted older than my age.

I look years younger than I am even now. And I know someone who at 20 looked 13... On the other hand I know someone who at 15, people were guessing him 18 or maybe even 20. So this could be very very deceiving even without any make up involved.

So even now you have to trust the person or ask for reliable proof of their age. E.g. some sort of ID.

Hey everyone!

Just a quick reminder that at Lovehoney, life starts at 18.

This is a great thread, and it's definitely a topic worth discussing, but please remember that when referring to personal experience, omit detail of pre-18 intercourse.

Thanks!

That is fair enough Jessica *feeling guilty*

I guess their is a difference restrictions protecting children and the restrictions placed on the sex industry.

I'm glad the PM doesn't was the age of consent lowering. kids akways want to push boundaries do if the age limit is 16 they will be contemplating sex at 14/15. Therefore lowering it will make kids think that ib order to fit in they should be thinking about sex at 13!

If anything it should be increased. In only 3 years time children will have to stay in school until they are 18, they cant watch sexual scenes in films until 18, they can't gamble, vote, get married or buy a house untill 18 years old because we see this as an age of responsibility.
And yet we run the risk of permitting that children of 16 or younger are old enough and responsible enough to take appropriate precautions and ultimately to be parents!!!

What does that teach a whole generation? That you don't have to be a responsible adult to be a parent but you have to be more grown up if you want to vote or get married??

No wonder we have lots of screwed up kids. the system is failing them. if we are adult at 18 then everything should have the same age limit do that we are clear of boundaries, who is a child and who is an adult.

It's good that the age of consent isn't being lowered, lowering it sends out the wrong message. Just because kids are having sex younger and younger doesn't mean they should be having sex younger and younger. Reducing the age of consent would, intentionally or not, send out the message that it's alright for a 14 year old to be having sex so long as it's safe and protected. Which, in my opinion, is pretty disgraceful. We really ought to be doing everything we possibly can to discourage the sexual practise between children because were else would the line be drawn? Suddenly a 14 year old having sex is legally ok and then what, she has a romantic relationship with a 40 year old man?

Sure, 16 is only 2 years on from that but we change dramatically at that age including leaving school and entering college/full time employment, effectively becoming adult members of society. I lost my virginity this year at aged 22, the amount of pressure i had on me from family members and peer groups laughing about the idea i was a virgin all the way back when i was 18 and for the 4 years after was crazy. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that being a virgin was somehow a point of mockery, sadly so many people rush into losing their virginity and some as far as becoming teenage mothers.

If i was a parent, thats something that would terrify me. Imagine having that discussion with your 14 year old "Its ok i'm only 14 and having sex, i used protection!" i mean, tell me that doesn't send the wrong message? Your 14, go buy an ice cream and talk about that teacher you hate. Seriously. Like i said, just because we're having sex younger and younger doesn't make it right and we ought to be cherishing childhood for as long as possible. We are kids for about 15 minutes then adults for what feels like 15 lifetimes.

Mrs Average, this is interesting that this is viewed very differently in many countries. E.g. in mine you get national identity card when you are 15 and you get more responsibility too. You can go to jail, you can sign your recommended post without your parents having to do it, or even knowing you received it, you can drive a small motorbike etc. And at 16 you can ask court to make you fully adult, which is generally done under some exceptional circumstances, which would mean you CAN marry, you can vote when you are 16 and your parents would no longer be responsible for you,and they will have actually no right over you. I do not know if something like that can be done in UK.

You have to wait till you are 18 to vote, drink alcohol and drive car unless you get the court decesion.

I do not think the kids in UK are that different from other countries, so it seems that each country has a different perspective about age of responsibility. Personally I do not think 16 is that young and not able to take responsibility of certain things. People at 15 here also have to choose their secondary school, which does shape most likely the rest of their lives. Among other things. So I do not view people of age 15 to 18 as childern, because for me they are not. They are either almost adults, or some even adults in way of thinking if not by age.

I do not think raising the age of consent would solve UK problem with teenage pregnancies. Personally I think... it would not. Unless there is better education about sexual behaviour and precautions... the problem will not go away.

I think 16 is quite young enough...you have a whole life to be getting up to things once your 16. Most of my friends though were having sex at 14/15 but I thought at the time that this was young.
Parents must have an idea of what their kids are up to and should ensure they know about contraception and keeping safe from an early age

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hey everyone!

Just a quick reminder that at Lovehoney, life starts at 18.

This is a great thread, and it's definitely a topic worth discussing, but please remember that when referring to personal experience, omit detail of pre-18 intercourse.

Thanks!

I have no intention of kicking up a fuss or anything like that at all, but I must ask, why is this?

I mean, discussing illegal topics and things like underage sex is fair enough and is part of the rules, understandably so. But why pre-18 when the legal age is 16?

I know Lovehoney is an adult website and forum, and is for 18+. But I'm just a little confused on why we can't share personal past experiences of sex between 16 and 18? Under 16 is understood, but 16+ is legal. As long as they are past experiences (ie; not currently under 18) then what is the issue?

Like I say, not trying to be awkward or anything. I'm sure there is a good reason, I just want to know what it is, is all. x

The reason we have this rule in place is because although the national age of consent is 16, to buy sex toys you must be 18. As a sex toy retailer who sells online, there is no way we can ID customers and check their age. We simply have to trust that they are telling us the truth, in the same way I have to trust that everyone on the forum really is over 18. The likelyhood is we have several people 'slip through the net' and purchase / take part in the community who are under 18 and lie about their age. As far as shopping is concerned, a 16 year old can have a debit card and shop online without their parents consent.

We keep all talk above 18 to protect the potentially easily influenced teenagers who may join / stumble on our forums accidentally. Don't forget, you don't have to be a member to read everything which is posted here, so ANYONE can read this. We all know what it's to be a teenager: "Well if THEY lost their virginity at 16, then doing it now when im only 15 and a half isn't THAT bad".

I understand that in a thread like this, age is a little more applicable and up for discussion but for the sake of continuity, I need to maintain the rules across the entire forum.

I don't think it should be lowered people are having sex way to young now. It's just going to make things worse!

And as if you need to make the point for not lowering the age of consent. Another teacher having underage sex with a pupil in the press today.