Rant Thread (Jan11-Feb15)

I'm with TalkTalk and am desperate to get off them, but of the two ISPs I wanted to go to, one no longer does an unlimited package (they only do 80GB now, which sounds alot but it isn't with three big internet users in the house) and the other one isn't available in my area yet. I emailed them to ask when they would be, and they more or less said don't know, maybe never!

Ecksvie wrote:

I'm with TalkTalk and am desperate to get off them, but of the two ISPs I wanted to go to, one no longer does an unlimited package (they only do 80GB now, which sounds alot but it isn't with three big internet users in the house) and the other one isn't available in my area yet. I emailed them to ask when they would be, and they more or less said don't know, maybe never!

I didn't know you could still get limited internet except very rarely.

WandA wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

The six big ones which entered into the anti-piracy agreement with the government still do it (the agreement that they'll throw your details at the nearest law firm if you're suspected of illegally downloading), but I won't go with another one of them just out of principle after the stories I've heard. Tiscali (before it was bought by TalkTalk) decided to absolutely kill my internet speed during peak hours because I was downloading stuff, and it wasn't even illegal stuff. I'm only on 2Mb and it's not all that fast to begin with.

I'm assuming all the others that arent on the agreement have been put under some pressure as such that they don't offer allowances which would let you to do large amounts of downloading.

Ecksvie wrote:

WandA wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

The six big ones which entered into the anti-piracy agreement with the government still do it (the agreement that they'll throw your details at the nearest law firm if you're suspected of illegally downloading), but I won't go with another one of them just out of principle after the stories I've heard. Tiscali (before it was bought by TalkTalk) decided to absolutely kill my internet speed during peak hours because I was downloading stuff, and it wasn't even illegal stuff. I'm only on 2Mb and it's not all that fast to begin with.

I'm assuming all the others that arent on the agreement have been put under some pressure as such that they don't offer allowances which would let you to do large amounts of downloading.

Ah. I get throttled with Virgin but never usually for long if at all. It is pretty annoying because as you say there are many legit methods of sucking up BW such as the the on demand services.

Bastards.

Mine gets throttled every day from 6PM til 11PM, sometimes longer. It's not so bad now, but in the past things like Youtube and BBC iPlayer were more or less unusable during those times. I do still get embarrassing speeds sometimes though. Sometimes a file of 5MB or less will take MINUTES to download.

Sorry to bring this up but i'm trying to watch glee which i recored on sky plus but i was stupid enough to record it on E4hd and it keeps glitching and now lip sinc is out 2 bloody thing! my little rants over now i feel better

fizzy wrote:

Sorry to bring this up but i'm trying to watch glee which i recored on sky plus but i was stupid enough to record it on E4hd and it keeps glitching and now lip sinc is out 2 bloody thing! my little rants over now i feel better External Media

If you're still here it starts on E4+1 in 10 minutes xx

or CH4 tomorrow at 11:35 xx

ISP's all tend to suck and the fecking stupid Fair Usae Policies are absolute crap. It's funny how they'd never tell you exactly what amount of usage was allowed before you were switched over to the Illegal Downloaders Club servers.

My rant was always that it was surely a backwards way of handling things! If the majority of people don't use much bandwidth during peak hours why would you limit the small percentage of people that actually want high bandwidth (and are paying for it)? Surely if you stuck all the web browser/email client users on slightly slower servers they would be less likely to be affected and everyone is happy?

Oh yeah and BT have been the worst by far for us as of yet!

/Rant

fizzy wrote:

Sorry to bring this up but i'm trying to watch glee which i recored on sky plus but i was stupid enough to record it on E4hd and it keeps glitching and now lip sinc is out 2 bloody thing! my little rants over now i feel better External Media

The new season of Glee is definitely worth watching - so persevere!

thanx glitter and inara i think im going to catch the reapeat on channel four 2mora interuption free!

Yay!! I just watched it - You'll love it x

Well P's on the phone to BT for the fourth time this week as we were offered option3 on 20th dec and still dont have it even though activation date was the 29th. They say its because the exchange cant handle the speed but we dont want it faster just the unlimited usage and the fact its cheaper than what we are paying for option1. The one person who understood him re sent the request and said she would phone him back but we are still waiting. Heres hoping he gets somewhere as hes getting pretty pissed off and hes hard to aggrivate, I know cos I've tried and failed many times!!!

suze9 wrote:

Well P's on the phone to BT for the fourth time this week as we were offered option3 on 20th dec and still dont have it even though activation date was the 29th. They say its because the exchange cant handle the speed but we dont want it faster just the unlimited usage and the fact its cheaper than what we are paying for option1. The one person who understood him re sent the request and said she would phone him back but we are still waiting. Heres hoping he gets somewhere as hes getting pretty pissed off and hes hard to aggrivate, I know cos I've tried and failed many times!!!

you wont get unlimited on bt they cap you if you go over 100gb a month, i used to have the same package and i design websites so i download and upload all teh time, also something you may not be aware of if you upload it also counts as part of your download usage so be aware people, i also fix pc computers aswell. lol

I want to throw my sky hd box out the window it decided to turn its self off whilst i was watching got to dance bloody thing.

I'm with o2 and never had a problem since the 6 months Had it in my last house and never once did it cut out in over a year. Customer support is quite good when I was setting up. Its more expensive but always works.

I had to get a BT phone line but taken the absolute minimum from them (just phone calls). Had them in a rented house and it was always a toss up whether it would work. The TV service didn't work on most of the channels. Couldn't watch the numerous repeats of Friends on E4.

I don't have Virgin in my area, despite them putting leaflets through my door trying to get me to join them.

Never got anyone to answer with BT last night so its still on going, Sky are another nightmare bunch to get to do anything (thats the reason we have free sky for 3 months ) and dont get me started on the tax credit bunch grrrrrrrrr they input wrong and you get the blame, well flawed system there I think.

Inara14 wrote:

fizzy wrote:

The new season of Glee is definitely worth watching - so persevere!

Yes!!! The new Glee season is amazing, im currently up to episode 10 and have to wait til Feb for more External Media

My internet had been absolute pants the last few days. It keeps cutting out all the time. Not impressed!

Ecksvie wrote:

My internet had been absolute pants the last few days. It keeps cutting out all the time. Not impressed!

Grrrrr mine too External Media

& Its not just the Internet - the bloody phoneline's still broke & they keep saying its our equipment (which I know its not) so they're refusing to send out an engineer until I fork out £130 for the privilege!! Wankers External Media (sorry mods)