Reusable Menstrual Products

The clue is in the title, but I was wondering if people had experiences with reusable products rather than pads and tampons.

I've used a divacup/mooncup on and off for a year or so, and I don't mind it. I mostly use it when I know I'll be able to empty it easily.

I have recently discovered the idea of cloth pads and I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative experiences?

I've used a natural sea sponge, but I found it difficult to retrieve and although you can use it during sex, it made me so dry and lashings of lube dried up quickly too. It was a bit of a pain having to keep reapplying it. Never tried any sort of pads, rarely use them, much prefer tampons.

I used to get the worst cramps and really heavy flow on day 1-3, I've only ever used pads, i tried a tampon when i got it for the first time, couldn't get it in, gave up, never tried again, and then it became an issue i was worried of weeing on the removal cord and having a wee soaked string in my underwear, so it was always pads for me. I was considering trying the re useable ones as it gets ridiculous going through 3 full packs per period of the heaviest flow ones, but since getting the implant i've only had one period over the 3 months i've had it and that was barely more than spotting, If i ever start having periods with the implant in i'll definitely be trying the reuseable pads too i think so i'll be eagerly watching this thread too. Hopefully they absorb faster than disposeables as i always found i had to sleep sitting up and couldn't lounge or anything but sit straight leant back at an angle otherwise they leaked like crazy. It's a shame a period isn't something you can turn on and off.

I sometimes use a cup, usually when I am sure I will be able to clean it (not sterilise, just wash off the blood) before reinserting it, I am a bit afraid that unless I do that, there will surely be some smears.

Mostly, however, i prefer tampons.

I have considered cloth pads but frankly, I am a way to squeamish to fancy washing cloth soaked with menstrual blood all the time, and I would be quite afraid they might leak.

I've used beppy sponges in the past and thought they were great, there is definitely a nack to getting them out though but they were brilliant to use during sex or when I went into a jacuzzi before. No signs of bleeding at all!

No experience with reuseable pads. Got a mooncup 10yrs ago and haven't looked back. I love my cuppy. For those worried about emptying it......disabled toilets usually have a small sink within reach of the toilet. I wouldn't normally advocate using the disabled facilities if you don't need to but in this case I think it is an acceptable alternative. :)

I use reusable nAppiea for my kids and find they don't hide the odours as well as the disposable ones. So that would be my concern about reusable pads.
I also find the cloth nappies leak more. So that would be another fear of mine. I think a moon cup is an environmentally friendly as I will go in that department

I used menstrual cloths for years. They were extra work, but well worth it for me because they were less irritating, less drying and much cheaper. I made my own out of flannel with the edges finished. Started that back in days of pre-internet yore and access to everything. Now that menstrual cups are easy to get a hold of and very affordable, they make the most sense IMO. It's not that big a deal to rinse the cup out in the bathroom and it really is cheaper than having to buy supplies every month. They hold quite a lot too. The biggest advantage was that it didn't dry me out as badly as pads and tampons. Wish I had gotten one earlier.

There weren't any noticeable odours with my cloth pads. Once I got the hang of using them, my leakage was similar to throw-aways pads and only a problem if I forgot to change it in time. Thick menstrual blood is a bit different from an infant emptying a bladder full of liquid. :-)

I do have a menstrual cup but I find it a right faff to insert it, it usually takes me five minutes or longer, on heavy days it needs emptying after an hour and I'm not that heavy I mostly stick to pads for convenience I've not tried a reusable one before I don't like the thought of having to was them out they remind me of those terrycloth nappies I'm not sure those were very absorbent

Think just from what i've read already re useable pads are out for me. My level of leakage was so bad with disposables i had to sit on 2 large folded up towels to be sure i wasn't leaking on the sofa/bed (due to a disability it isn't possible for me to change between bathroom visits when i actually need the toilet, sorry for the TMI) And the odour drives me mad. I couldn't use a cup/tampon because i can't stand getting the blood on my hands, idk if im imagining it but i feel like i cant wash it off, that sometimes even after a shower after changing i can smell it on me, and i cannot stand it, makes me feel so unclean to the point i was washing in bleach after changing. Seems I'm lucky to get a lack of periods with the implant, it's the only reason i haven't had it taken out as i have a formation of scar tissue on one end which is almightily painful whenever i move my arm, but its a better alternative to a period.

VirginAngel wrote:

Think just from what i've read already re useable pads are out for me. My level of leakage was so bad with disposables i had to sit on 2 large folded up towels to be sure i wasn't leaking on the sofa/bed (due to a disability it isn't possible for me to change between bathroom visits when i actually need the toilet, sorry for the TMI) And the odour drives me mad. I couldn't use a cup/tampon because i can't stand getting the blood on my hands, idk if im imagining it but i feel like i cant wash it off, that sometimes even after a shower after changing i can smell it on me, and i cannot stand it, makes me feel so unclean to the point i was washing in bleach after changing. Seems I'm lucky to get a lack of periods with the implant, it's the only reason i haven't had it taken out as i have a formation of scar tissue on one end which is almightily painful whenever i move my arm, but its a better alternative to a period.

Admittedly, I get a bit of blood on my hands when I use a cup but I don't remember ever getting any when replacing a tampon that has a removal string.

Juicyass wrote:

I've used beppy sponges in the past and thought they were great, there is definitely a nack to getting them out though but they were brilliant to use during sex or when I went into a jacuzzi before. No signs of bleeding at all!

I used a beppy sponge this weekend and it got stuck and couldn't remove it! Took me 3 hours to get it out, felt like I was giving birth with all the pushing I had to do! ![](upload://kym5tZ5EfyJxs6TKHB1Q2HtGSpK.gif)

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Juicyass wrote:

I used a beppy sponge this weekend and it got stuck and couldn't remove it! Took me 3 hours to get it out, felt like I was giving birth with all the pushing I had to do! ![](upload://kym5tZ5EfyJxs6TKHB1Q2HtGSpK.gif)

Haha I'm not gonna lie I've had one experience when it took me hours to get one out as well. Don't think it helps when you start to panic or stress though like I did. I've been okay since then though, I've just worked out the best way for me to get them out and it hasn't let me down since. I know the wet ones are better than the dry ones so that may have been an issue depending on which ones you were using?

Juicyass wrote:

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Juicyass wrote:

Haha I'm not gonna lie I've had one experience when it took me hours to get one out as well. Don't think it helps when you start to panic or stress though like I did. I've been okay since then though, I've just worked out the best way for me to get them out and it hasn't let me down since. I know the wet ones are better than the dry ones so that may have been an issue depending on which ones you were using?

I used the wet ones, but I think a vigorous friend had pushed the sponge too far up! I must admit I did panic a little, my arms and fingers just weren't long enough. Never again!

there was a girl at my daughters college used her menstrual blood

to cover her naked body and look like she had been murdered

it was art or so i was told

nodrog, that's certainly a different take on art that's for sure :P

I have a few reusable pads but don't get periods regularly so I haven't had a chance to try them properly. My housemate uses them and really likes them though, you can get extra thick ones designed for postpartum use or very heavy periods so that might be worth a look? Jam sponges look interesting but I can't get over the name...

I like my Moon Cup, but I'm thinking of switching to another brand with less powerful suction. I think cloth pads will be going in the basket too, for lighter days. I just can't decide where to buy them from, or if I should do some crafting and make my own. Currently trying to work out what my opinion on cloth tampons is.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have the most sporadic periods ever - due to the implant - it might be one heavy day, or 3 light weeks or anything in between.

I might get a couple and see how it goes.