Safe place for postie

I've been having issues with my safe places recently with RM and LH and wondered what others used.

I've been told by the post office that when something is being tracked, postie wint be happy to leave it anywhere, making the use of a safe place redundant. LH orders all seem to use a tracked system.

How to get around it? Any ideas besides leaving it with a neighbour?

Ive had 2 packages left with a neighbour, one that I didnt even specify should be and both times they neglected to leave a card to say so! The only reason I knew is because once the neighbour came to my door and the other time I checked the tracking service and it said it had been delivered! Just lucky I have honest neighbours cos I would have no idea.

I have no issues in fact i have the issue that my mail man doesn't knock and only uses my safe place. Recently he has stopped leaving a red card meaning when i don't know I am expecting a parcel (like yesterday) it goes unnoticed...

Gem26 wrote:

I have no issues in fact i have the issue that my mail man doesn't knock and only uses my safe place. Recently he has stopped leaving a red card meaning when i don't know I am expecting a parcel (like yesterday) it goes unnoticed...

I get the red card when Im not in and its taken back to the depot but not if its at a neighbours...its sooo annoying!

That's a shame, mine always leaves my LH boxes in the same place, they're the only company I don't get red cards from actually. I know you can get things delivered to your local post office but I'm not sure how it works?

I might look into that Sleepycelia cos the depot is quite far away from me and down a dark industrial road. Hate walkiing down there in winter :(

I found it here (option 2) and I swear I've seen someone on here saying they always get things delivered to their local post office? http://www.postoffice.co.uk/collection-services

But yeah I have no clue how it actually works, might have to message customer care or something as I wouldn't want to just put the address of the post office in the address field and hope for the best! It seems like a good idea though, depots are always so far away, ergh :(

In my area the royal mail sent a flyer out saying they will leave parcels with neighbours wherever possible and if you don't want this to happen to let them know. Since they have had this policy I have only had to go to the sorting office once. This may be a national policy I'm not sure.

In the past I have left a note on the door asking the postie to leave parcels in my shed which he duly obliged with. You can buy little lockable waterproof storage boxes you can bolt to the ground/wall. You leave an open padlock for the postie to use and lock for you.

In all instances being friendly and chatty with your postie is a benefit.

I had to get a parcel redlievered to a post office, and you just go in and say ypu're therento collectnyour parcel, show your ID and bobs your uncle (although it costs £1.50)
My postie has left a few parcels with a neighbour (even though I mever put on it to, as I've never met them properly, student neighbours) and then doesn't leave a note to say :(

Your lucky! here are a few of the places I've found my post, chucked through an open window, in the wheelie bin top tray, under the car!, behind the bin, Ok so I got them but it could have been a very different story.

That seems to be the way NMK, when they leave it with a neighbour they assume the neighbour will let you know even though the little red cards have a tick box to say its been left with them >:/

I'm very lucky I've never had a problem. When I not in I get red carded. But my they never leave the box with next door.

im very lucky my postie always leaves mine in my safe place even the ones that need to be signed for he will just leave there

you could collect at the post office :)

Here's the page regarding deliveries to your local post office: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/help/local-collect-faq/.

The option doesn't seem to be available when paying with paypal, though, so bear that in mind if that's how you usually pay. It also isn't available if you choose special delivery, as that requires your signature in order for it to be delivered.

My last order was a nightmare! Not because of lovehoney, purely Royal Mail. I was waiting in for my delivery, and half way through the day I checked my tracking number, they tried to deliver it, when I was in, yet apparantly I wasn't home and they were trying to rede liver it. A card wasn't left at all, and the neighbour I specified on my deliver instructions didn't have it. I always choose this neighbour because she's quite an old woman and doesn't go out much I can almost always guarantee that she'll be home. So I called them, they rearranged a delivery for two days later, which I was pretty furious about. Then four hours later, a beighbour who lives 12 houses away come and knocked on my door and handed me my parcel?! I wasn't left a card and was told it was being re delivered. If that neighbour wanted to keep my parcel she could have, and I would think that Royal Mail had just lost it.
They've always been quite good, but lately they've been appalling. I think since Christmas they've probably gotten rid of temp staff, so their parcels are just getting terrible service. It's really annoying.

Leaving your parcel with a neighbour is fine, but we do say that a secure covered place is also OK. So something like a shed, garage or similar - but this is down to the discretion of the postie. They have the right not to follow your instructions if they feel they aren't either clear, or don't end up with the package in a safe / secure / covered environment.

Alternatively, you could use our Click & Collect scheme?

**Please Note** Your bin / recycling box does NOT count as a secure / covered place for delivery. SO many parcels end up taken away to the landfill when people choose this option, so please don't. Thanking you!

When I telephoned Royal Mail I was told that they can't follow the safe place instructions on tracked items anymore. Is this still the case, or are they pulling my leg? It seems a bit silly to me!

MrsMcX wrote:

When I telephoned Royal Mail I was told that they can't follow the safe place instructions on tracked items anymore. Is this still the case, or are they pulling my leg? It seems a bit silly to me!

Hmmm, to be honest with you I'm not sure on that. Royal Mail do have the right to refuse to leave a parcel but it could be area specific?

I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Care to find out what the latest is with our deliveries...

I spoke with RM too about safe places and tracked items and the lady told me that if something is tracked, they must hand it to someone. So a neighnbour is fine, but leaving it somewhere is out of the question. Dam

I'm lucky and only live about 5 minutes walk from my postal sorting office, but i understand it will be annoying if this is not the case My neighbours are mostly out and like discussed, they won't leave parcel in a "safe place". I surpose they are covering their backs and you can't blame them