Short-term female contraceptive?

I'm in a long distance relationship and don't see my OH as much as I'd like, but when we are within reach, the sex is incredible [as always!] We always use condoms but we're both drawn to the idea of making love without one. I've never been 'on the pill' as such, but have heard endless moans about it from my girlfriends [particularly what it can do to your body]. I don't want to commit to a long-term pill because lots of months will pass when I'm not sexually active and I definitely wouldn't want all the negative effects of the pill to get me down in that time.

I'm just wondering if there is a short-term contraceptive pill?? I will at some stage talk to a doctor about various forms of contraception but wanted to throw it out here first, in case anyone has any input to share :)

Ta xx

I think you can use some gels, to kill the sperm. The only issue may be that after penetrative sex, there can be no oral and there are restrictions on how the woman can wash, after how long etc. I never tried them, but my friends did and they like them.

Also there is the small "cup" which can be applied to the cervix to cover it and prevent the sperm getting further. I guess you can always ask doctors. I think this may be an option if we are talking about using it once in a while, too.

Im in a long distance relationship also, and my preferred method is the depot injection. You take it every 3 months, so in a sense it isn't much to bother with time-wise. Even though I dont see my OH much I really like having to go for this instead of anything oral or anything else that comes across to permanent or invasive like a coil. I take it regularly and it has the common side effect of stopping your periods. =]

Try looking around and going to your local family planning clinic or even something like Brooke. They offer leaflets and info on all types of contraception. You can see what's right for you. Not everyone will have the same effects to one so it may just be a case of trial and error.

Good luck!

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing!

I bought some femidoms from LH, and last time we were together we did try it, but argh in the end we were both getting so paranoid about it going wrong that we completely killed the moment. The femidom itself is easy to insert and comfortable to wear.. just need more practice..and next time in broad daylight so we're not constantly checking the "am i in or out" situation!! That said the femidom still counts as a condom so not ideal.. I think the cup might be a good idea, plus when he's not here that gives me plenty of time to practice. As for the injection, I might have to think about that one..

Either way I will definitely talk to someone at my local surgery / family planning clinic about all the options available to me. Thanks for your input ladies!

What about a cap/diaphragm? You just insert them before sex and use with a spermicide I think? They have to be inserted a certain amount of time before, not sure what that is, so can take away some of the spontaneity but they can work successfully if used properly

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/diaphragms.htm

Funnily enough I found a link to this website on Violet Blue that should help to outline all forms of birth control for you. http://bedsider.org/

A coil can be uncomfortable and make periods heavier. The diaphragm is notoriously unreliable. The depo povera injection sounds great!

Depo injection does not sound too great for me. I heard lot of women had problems, as they give you larger amount of hormones in one go, so many women tend to have more issues with that compared to the regular pill from what I read on various forums few months ago. Also you may then need 4-31 months to actually become pregnant after you stop it and you are in higher risk of ostheoporosis, if you are using it for longer time, from what I read on the depo povera. Plus the general issue of the risk of hormonal contraceptipn. But some women are fine with it.others rather go on regular pill.

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

I had an awful time on the Depo Provera. I gained 2.5 stone and only had one period on it which was so bad it landed me in hospital. I personally would never go back to it, I like my figure too much! Lol!

I use a pill now and I'm more than happy with it. Friends of mine say the Contraceptive patch is ace as well.

The patch is probably one of the best I've tried, and it's so handy only having to apply one, once a week.

you definately shouldn't use the morning after pill as a regular form of contraception its a very high dose of hormones and can screw your body up. I dislike the injection because if you react to it you have to wait for it to wear off, and I have know people who have had reactions to it, like a friend who bled for 5 months. Also if you ever wanted to have kids it can take up to 18 months for fertility to return when you come off it. I've don't know anything about the patch. The pill totally screwed up my mental health, hormones didn't agree with me, But you could use it short term (start taking a week before you plan to have sex and finish the month). At least with the implant which has work for me for 7 years, the pill and the patch they can be removed if you have a reaction to them. Caps etc are less safe than condoms. The coil is more for long term, and usually they will only give it to over 25's or women who've had children.

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

I had an awful time on the Depo Provera. I gained 2.5 stone and only had one period on it which was so bad it landed me in hospital. I personally would never go back to it, I like my figure too much! Lol!

I use a pill now and I'm more than happy with it. Friends of mine say the Contraceptive patch is ace as well.

The patch is probably one of the best I've tried, and it's so handy only having to apply one, once a week.

Does the patch come with a pill or on its own? Btw Pixieking, thank you for the bedsider website :)

Orally Gifted wrote:

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Does the patch come with a pill or on its own? Btw Pixieking, thank you for the bedsider website :)

The patch is like a plaster, that you slap on, and works similar to a nicotine patch. So, basically you just use it, and don't have to take a pill.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

There is also the morning after pill. I think it's free on prescription still. But can be risky to be sure you get it in time. Also stressful to panic until you do get it.

I don't think this is a particularly good option.

The morning after pill isn't generally considered a regular contraceptive, it's an emergency contraceptive when an actual contraceptive has failed. It'd be safer to use a more day-to-day hormonal (or other!) contraceptive in my opinion.