Split condom & the morning after pill

Hi guys and gals. I did a thread seach and couldn't find anything so sorry if this has been done before.

Was curious as to how often a condom actually does split? During sex this morning the condom did split! I have never had this happen and thought it was pretty rare. My OH had thought it had come off but it was still attatched to him. Needless to say it killed the mood and a trip to the chemist for the morning after pill is a must as I am not on the pill and neither of us wants any more kids, don't want to take the chance even if it's a small chance I could fall pregnant. Never had the morning after pill and not really sure what to expect, can anyone on here give any advice?

Thanks in advance..... sexy little minx

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about your rubbish rubber incident! I went and got the morning after pill once from the chemist and the process of getting it was absolutely fine, they just asked a few "what happened and when, are you on any other medication" type questions then just gave me the pill in a box with some instructions.

You've got a 72hr window in which to get the pill so it's best to get on it right away!

There's some decent information about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/surgery/advice/sex_relationships/sex/morning_after_pill/

Condoms do split with what I feel is alarming frequency so if you're not wanting any more children and would like a more reliable form of contraception I'd reccomend an IUD. I had one put in called Mirena and I have it replaced once every 5 years, it has the same contraceptive effectiveness as sterilisation but is completely reversible. Obviously doesn't give you STI protection but if you're in a monogamous relationship that shouldn't be a problem!

Hope this was vaguely useful my lovely!

xxKPxx

Yep, KP is right. the only thing i'd add is that there used to be stories floating around about how ill it can make you feel, and it's totally untrue. you just take the pill and you have peace of mind! simples! x

bouncygirl wrote:

Yep, KP is right. the only thing i'd add is that there used to be stories floating around about how ill it can make you feel, and it's totally untrue. you just take the pill and you have peace of mind! simples! x

In my experience the morning after pill can sometimes cause sickness. I've taken it a few times, sometimes it made me very ill and sometimes I was fine, so I suppose the effects can vary.

Thankyou very much for your advice and the link. I have heard a few stories about the morning after pill but peace of mind is what I want.

First thing monday morning I am going to make an appointment with the doctor to discuss another form of contraception, definetly don't want a repeat of this morning!

x

sexy little minx wrote:

Thankyou very much for your advice and the link. I have heard a few stories about the morning after pill but peace of mind is what I want.

First thing monday morning I am going to make an appointment with the doctor to discuss another form of contraception, definetly don't want a repeat of this morning!

x

No problem at all External Media

If you don't get on with your doctor (I know some of the older male doctors in particular can be a bit unhelpful) I definately recomend going to a family planning clinic. They have doctors there that deal with contraception day in day out and I've always found them so nice and helpful!

xxKPxx

Hi sexy little minx. I would like to second what KP says and suggest looking at an IUD if you are definitely not wanting any more children. I too use a Mirena and after a while (it does vary from woman to woman) you also experience very little actual menstruation or cramps. It's worth asking about.

Best of luck

I've had it once before unfortunately when the condom came off and cause I'm quite a horrmonal person, it screwed with my head a bit for a coupel fo days. It's a heavy blast of hormones, but as you say, it's not worth risking it. Anyone else in this situation should also get STI tested under the same better safe than sorry thing.

imeldaimelda wrote:

I've had it once before unfortunately when the condom came off and cause I'm quite a horrmonal person, it screwed with my head a bit for a coupel fo days. It's a heavy blast of hormones, but as you say, it's not worth risking it. Anyone else in this situation should also get STI tested under the same better safe than sorry thing.

I second that, excellent advise. :)

Damn, I meant "advice".

D'you think the spelling police saw?

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Just back from the chemist with morning after pill in hand. Feel so much better now, it wasn't as embarrasing as I thought it was going to be. I didn't know that some chemists did it free of charge either so that was another bonus!

Definetly the doctors for me on monday, get on ok with my doctor but the practice nurse is really easy to talk to about these things so might go see her and get tested while I'm there, just to be on the safe side.

x

I've had exactly the same thing happen to me when I was 17, I'd only had sex a few times aswell so I was extra traumatised! I work in a chemist and knew we did it for free but I didn't dare go to work and ask for it!

So I went to Brook, like a sexual health place for people aged 16 to 25 I think. It wasn't as bad as I thought, she asked me the usual questions (I knew what to expect from work) and gave me the pill. Said it might make me sick but it didn't, I was fine.

I'd recommend a family planning clinic rather than GP, much better in my experience. But it all depends if you like your doc. I went on the pill shortly afterwards. I also had an IUD fitted when I was 19 as I wanted to come off the pill and go with a non hormonal method of contraception. It was great for about 6 months until I started bleeding all the time. They said it was my body rejecting it and I had to have it removed. But everyones different, it might be great for you! And the particular one I had lasts 10 years but I can't remember the name of it.

Hope your ok and hope you get things sorted Monday! X

sexy little minx wrote:

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Just back from the chemist with morning after pill in hand. Feel so much better now, it wasn't as embarrasing as I thought it was going to be. I didn't know that some chemists did it free of charge either so that was another bonus!

Definetly the doctors for me on monday, get on ok with my doctor but the practice nurse is really easy to talk to about these things so might go see her and get tested while I'm there, just to be on the safe side.

x

Getting tested is a very good plan External Media

Hope you're feeling OK and not too freaked out :)

Thought I'd drop by with an update. I'm not as freaked out as I might have been if it wasn't for the support of my OH and the forum members on here. The morning after pill made me feel a little queezy for a couple of hours but that was it. I have an appointment at the doctors on thursday to get checked and sort out some other form of contraception.

sexy little minx wrote:

Good for you for biting the bullet and getting it, SexyMinx!

Just wanted to say that I'm so angry/jealous that you guy can get it over the counter. In Ireland, we have to go see the GP for a prescription first, and they're not obliged to prescribe it :( A GP appointment costs around €50, adn the pill itself around €20... so that's €70 (around £60) for one little mistake!

I would love for it to be available OTC here as well.

I have taken the MAP about four times now throughout the past 2 years of being sexually active and after taking it I have never really experienced any problems.

As long as you took the MAP 72 hours after the condom split then you should be alright. =)

I will say, expect your period to be a little late, that's the only problem I ever experienced after taking the MAP. When I say a little late I mean like from 3-7 days. =)

Yay for good advice guys!!

ax

i had this happen to me once. But my bf at the time didnt tell me til the next day (he only cleaned out his bin and realised). But i was out clubbing so i went the next day for the morning after pill, but when i got there the pharmacist was one of my bosses girlfriend HOW EMBARRASSING.