Teenagers & Condoms (Bit of a Debate?)

It's never going to work! Sex ed is appalling in most cases anyway - I have never had a decent sex ed from school, and my parents (and grandparents) made stupid amounts of effort to pay for my schooling. I was lucky in that discussions of sex at home we relatively frank, but I still entered my first relationship never even having touched a condom, let alone knowing how to put one on. I'm so grateful my OH is a gent! At any rate, I didn't have sex ed until about 12 and then it was all about puberty. The most detailed class was a video consisting of cartoon sex and then shots of a seriously hairy couple walking round naked, getting into bed together and then being joined by their naked kids. Not good advice! If we don't get that right, what exactly is the point in having JLS condoms?

The other thing is that condoms are SO EXPENSIVE when you buy them. I know from experience that if you have next to no money, you're very picky about what to spend it on. If the choice is a night out or a packet of condoms, there are a lot who would be tempted the wrong way! Seriously, they should have JLS endorsing family planning clinics, where the people are lovely, know lots and give you FREE CONDOMS. And then the FPC do stuff about safe sex, personal hygeine, emergency contraception and STDs. Which is better than an embaressing pack of condoms any day.

Besides, name the teenage boy who'd be proud to say "I've stuck my cock in JLS"......

Lou232 wrote:

a video consisting of cartoon sex and then shots of a seriously hairy couple walking round naked, getting into bed together and then being joined by their naked kids

Haha, I think I got shown the same video.

chipNroll wrote:

Oops, I just posted about this on the What's new thread.

Encouraging safe sex in teenagers is good...but JLS don't seem the right choice to me. I can imagine young girls who aren't having sex and don't want to, buying them purely because they have the band on. I think things like this can somehow lead to a very blase attitude towards sex at the age of 13/12/so on. Everyone knows that children are having sex, yes, but that doesn't mean we should necessarily accept it and let it become a norm that nobody batters an eyelid towards. Kids at that age just aren't ready imo and a sparkly pop campaign isn't the way to go about making sure they're safe.

And if it's aimed at slightly older teens then, again, JLS don't seem the right people for the job to me.

Yep.

I don't think it address the non physical components of sex.

I agree with supplying young people with condoms but also think more should be done about building self esteem as if you have decent self esteem you are less likely going to get involved in messy relationships... the issue for some is the relationships they have are possibly not the best or even healthiest...

I have worked with so many young people who have no or very little value for themselves they see no harm in having unprotected sex time and time again.

So i thin yes give out free condoms but arm each person with the knowledge and belif they are worth something.

Opps sorry on my soap box now..I will slowly step off lol

I could rant on for hours about this, but I'll keep it brief -

Really don't like the idea of "merchandise" condoms for this age group: I think it crosses the line between supporting younger people who are (or are considering being) sexually active, and pushing a lifestyle message on the back of a band's popularity while making money (I presume) into the bargain. Better just to make plain, serviceable condoms readily available, and educate the kids enough to ask for them, and know the risks and implications of any sexual behaviour, whether a condom is needed or not.

There is a theory that the "sexualisation" of modern society is really having a polarising effect on young people - they (as do we all) need touch, intimacy and nurturing physical contact with their friends of either sex; this can be as simple as a hug or a pat on the back. But with nearly all images and references to physical touch being made in a sexual context, young people today are less able to assess the continuum of touch and see it as black and white: don't touch unless you're having sex. It follows that educating young people in healthy, nurturing ways to touch each other, and in what constitues truly sexual behaviour, should help them to differentiate and decide for themselves what they feel comfortable doing at a particular point in their lives. It should also help young people to get the vital contact that they need without having to cross the line into sexually inappropriate behaviour just to feel cared for. We are highly social apes, and we have evolved to feel safe, loved, cared for and part of a community when we engage in regular grooming behaviour. Without this social touching, communities weaken and individuals are more stressed and less content.

Wow. I really hope that makes some kind of sense . . .

I'm all for it. I think a lot of young people are open to a lot of sexual suggestiveness... If that isn't a word it should be. >.<

It's everywhere- whether in music, media, ads and also in school amongst their peers. For them to have a safe awareness of it is the best thing you can do. I don't think it necessarily condones and encourages sexual activity from the younger age range just increases their knowledge about it. A lot of kids rush into these things due to pressure not knowing the dangers involved.

I don't like the fact that it's somewhat "normal" to start young... I read that the average age was 16 and getting lower. There's nothing we can do to actually stop them (I'm talking about the younger ones of the age-range). Atleast they'll be safer this way and aware of their actions.

Boy band advertising condoms? No, I don't think that sounds like a good idea. Makes it seem that JLS want them to have sex, which is more pressure.

I agree that when kids start wanting to try sex, they will no matter what, but what we need to do is get it into their heads that sex means condoms, and thats back to sex-ed in the classroom, and talks with parents.

I think the bigest problem is how our society as a whole deals with sex as kind of "taboo". If we as adults could only be more open about the whole thing it would help. If sex was more "out in the open" then kids wouldn't feel embarrased about picking up condoms etc. and maybe they would be able to talk to parents, and teachers about safe practice when they decide its time to start.

I was in a Brooke clinic a couple of weeks ago. They had JLS posters up about their condoms campaign. I thought it showed the aspect of sexual awareness very well for teenagers. It's not as clear cut as- here are our condoms- buy today!

The campaign itself is not just advertising their range of condoms but for it to be more publisized- statistically teenagers start early on a sexual level. It showed some of the issues involved- including peer pressure, the risks, etc. They're being open about that and helping via the media.

I don't think the ads and campaign plant the idea for teens to have sex... They are probably aware of the concept via other outlets which can be quite influential. Without the right guidance and information children can be quite naive about "sex".

I agree that schools should be more helpful and even parents. I think sex is glamourized in the music industry/fashion industry etc- the list goes on. These are very influential for those in that age-range. So what if one band decides to be open about the risks involved? I think that's great. We need this kind of publicity in this day and age where teens are starting early. A few years ago I would have probably disagreed as it was not in the "norm" to have sex so early. Times change.

I dont think kids will wanna collect JLS packets and I dont think they would buy condoms just because they are on the packet...

I do think that ALL schools should give a better sex ed class (maybe hour or two of small groups where kids can chat to 20+ yr olds about sex in an open way and ask anything they want to (where things are, how sex feels, about ejaculation, orgasms etc etc!) I think its all FAR to hush hush and I know that when I was 14 and having sex I didn't use condoms because no one wants to buy them or go to somewhere to get them because its embarrasing when your young!

Plus, JLS on the package doesnt give pressure... kids give each other pressure and if you can get the "cool" kids in school thinking talking about sex with a sex education teacher is a good idea and not embarrasing, the majority will follow.

i think media advertising i.e television should show the downside to having unprotected sex just like they do for drugs

I'd be willing to give teenagers my 1 year old to look after for 24 hours at a time. That should be enough to put them off, plus I could do with a break!

haha... get a Nanny :P least then you can get rid of the bubba for as long as you want!

yea there should be scheme where youngsters can be parents for a weekend that should sort them out .no sleep ,no sex,no going out every night.try some of that for fun

Perhaps a range of condoms with better sex info inside would be more useful than JLS plastered on boxes.

I hate JLS and wouldnt want them on my box of condoms!! I do agree that condoms are very overpriced for a young teen! but we also have a really good drop in service that still gives me freebies lol!

I would lend them my toddler... she would drive them nuts!! x

It's one of the things the local health board did as part of the initiative I mentioned I was part of (we did the "in schools" part and they set up the rest). They got a small shop space and turned it into a café, which had a couple of social workers in there for private walk-in chats, it opened late so the underagers had somewhere safe to go in the evenings (in the area, it was bars or the park, hard to say which was more dangerous). Was really good, and such a simple idea: have somewhere safe for them to hang out where they can get accurate information without making appointments or being seen going anywhere 'questionable' because it was just a café.

Went back there a few years ago, and it had been shut down. Such a shame, think that's exactly the kind of thing that needs to be everywhere to keep the kids off the streets and clued up on the important stuff. I knew so many kids that got so much out of it, and there was absolutely nothing they got from there that they couldn't have gotten by going to a GP, so no one even complained about it.

xxxxchelzsxxxx wrote:

I hate JLS and wouldnt want them on my box of condoms!!

Ah! Maybe it's a cunning piece of stealth contraception - Get horny, want sex, pull out JLS condom, lose erection, lose interest, go down the chippy instead.

Another teenager saved! External Media

Mr Monster wrote:

xxxxchelzsxxxx wrote:

I hate JLS and wouldnt want them on my box of condoms!!

Ah! Maybe it's a cunning piece of stealth contraception - Get horny, want sex, pull out JLS condom, lose erection, lose interest, go down the chippy instead.

Another teenager saved! External Media

hahaha, that made me laugh, External Media

but maybe it makes them seem less intimidating to a 15/14 even 13 (lets not be niave) so its better that they have them than not, and yes it might make it seem "cool" to have sex with a JLS condom, but its sex WITH a condom, and thats surly more important, espesicaly when there are all these cuts to the helthcare, so preventing someone getting an STD has got to be a good thing

I'm a little on the fence about this debate.

I agree if teenagers or any age group for that matter want to have sex that much they wont use protection if it isnt readily available.

There are a lot of sex myths around, teenagers hear quite a few and listen to them more as a lot of the time they arent actually told that much about sex ed apart from the simple contraception thing. I was at school less than 4 years ago and they never told me. They never discussed contraception. A lot of parents feel uneasy about talking to their children/teenagers about sex and then contraception as they dont want to feel pushy, embarrassed or dont always know the right time. Therefore a lot of teenagers dont know a lot about contraception.

I agree that for a lot of teenagers, going into a chemist and buying condoms is a embarrassing and daunting experience. You have that or the condom vending machines that are what 3 condoms for £2? Thats a lot of money especially for most teenagers who dont have a huge amount of money.

When I was 16, I went to the doctors with a friend who wanted to go on the pill and get some condoms. She was 15. Instead of the doctor simply saying that we were a little young if he had to but congratulate us on actually trying to be safe, he gave us a huge lecture about how stupid and young we were and how we shouldnt even be thinking about sex. He basically turned her away and said rethink about the pill. Gave us 4 condoms each and a chlamydia test. We were very embarrassed and annoyed.

I feel that some teenagers do realise about sex and the risks but still do it anyway, however those that are trying to usually end up embarrassed, annoyed and spending a lot when they dont need to.

That being said, there are some adults who do know about safe sex (or think they do) and have access to better help without embarrassment but some just dont care.