Testicular & Prostate Cancer

Tomorrow (1/11) marks the first day of Movember. Movember is a worldwide mens health movement, where men like myself take the MoBro pledge and grow a moustache for the duration of Movember.

MoBros the world over will be getting hairy in raising awareness about 3 aspects of mens health.

Testicular cancer - over 2300 new diagnoses in the UK each year. White Men aged 15-45 are most at risk.
Prostate Cancer - over 100 new diagnoses every single day, 1 man in 8 in the uk will suffer prostate cancer.
Men are 14% more likely to develop cancer than women and 37% more likely to die of cancer.
Mental Health - 1 in 4 people will suffer a mental health illness in their lifetime. Suicide is the biggest killer in the uk of males aged under 35

So please, this Movember, take a minute to talk to the men in your life about their health. And if you can, support the good fight! Just search Movember 2013, or mail me for more details.

Thanks for your time.
SS

This a great cause - well done SS :) xx

Thank you for this message. I am extremely glad that you used the words "raise awareness". That is what movember is all about.

I'm not against raising money for charity, but in recent years too many people are attempting gaining sponsorship for moustache growing etc.

Rather than raise money, openly talk about men's health. Openly discuss your bodies. Go to the doctors if you suspect problems. Be brave, be a man, have a prostate exam. You might save a life, possibly your own!

I absolutely love Movember. And not just because there's more men walking around with facial hair, haha, but because it raises awareness in society of male cancers more and more each year. It's not just the men that need to be made more aware either, but the women too. It seems to me that a lot of people still seem to think that more women than men are diagnosed with cancer...but maybe that's because of everything surrounding breast cancer, I don't know, and even then men can be diagnosed with breast cancer.

I've been watching the F1 this morning and am so happy to see McLaren helping to raise awareness as well by having moustache's on the drivers' helmets and the noses of the cars, even if they are only small.

Today's Health tip is Diabetes:

Since 1996 the number of people in the UK diagnosed with diabetes has increased from 1.4 million to 2.9 million
In England more men than women have been diagnosed with diabetes. 6.3% of men reported that they had diabetes and 5.3% of women

Signs of diabetes:
The need to wee more often
The need to drink more frequently
Increased appetite.

Sound like anyone you know? Worth a conversation?

Today's sermon in Depression, from the Movember website:

What is depression?

Depression is more than just a low mood – it’s a serious illness. Depression affects how you think and feel about yourself. You may lose interest in work, hobbies and doing things you normally enjoy. You may lack energy, have difficulty sleeping or sleep more than usual. Some people feel anxious or irritable and find it difficult to concentrate

Is depression in men different?

Depression in men often doesn’t look like the typical depression of low mood, anxiety, and loss of interest, as described above. Depressed men may become more irritable or angry. Their behaviour can be hostile, aggressive or even abusive. Often men will engage in risky activities, such as drunk driving or risky sexual encounters. Men will often turn to abusing alcohol or drugs. Men may also become over-involved at work or socially isolated. Men aren’t always good about discussing their feelings, especially when it comes to sadness, depression or stress. Men instead act out with more work, drinking, and risk taking to numb or avoid the real problems they face. To many men, being “manly” means not admitting to any vulnerabilities or expressing emotions. It is these same qualities that prevent so many men from seeking help for their depression.

Ladies - go with your gut. Even when asked directly, men are unlikely to tell you anything is wrong - most men suffering depression will need an almighty shove to get help. Don't let them suffer alone :)

Sum sub, thanks for doing this, as a man who suffered from depression last year, I really hope that your posts will help both men and their partners notice the signs of depression early so they can be managed.

I found that I was unable to talk to my wife, but was able to share my experiences on chat on here.

Lovehoney can be good for your (man's) health.

I will always be grateful for the forum members who helped me last year, particularly those who continue to support me with their encouraging messages and particularly my best friend who has become like a sister to me.

Hampshire Hogg wrote:

Sum sub, thanks for doing this, as a man who suffered from depression last year, I really hope that your posts will help both men and their partners notice the signs of depression early so they can be managed.

I found that I was unable to talk to my wife, but was able to share my experiences on chat on here.

Lovehoney can be good for your (man's) health.

I will always be grateful for the forum members who helped me last year, particularly those who continue to support me with their encouraging messages and particularly my best friend who has become like a sister to me.

:)

I'm glad you found someone to help you HH and that you're fighting the good fight :)

Good luck with getting hairy MoBro

Some more on depression today:

What makes a person more at risk of depression?
Some major events or situations have been linked with depression while others also contribute to increasing the risk for men:

Major Risk Factors
  • Previous experience of depression and/or anxiety
  • Drug and alcohol use
  • Serious medical illness (physical or mental)
  • Isolation or loneliness
  • Unemployment
Other Risk Factors
  • Stress (work / financial / life)
  • Partner going through pregnancy and the first 12 months of fatherhood
  • Lack of physical exercise
  • Having a family member with depression
  • Conflict (family / political)
  • Poverty / Homelessness

Let's get talking people...