Throwing old sex toys away in a public bin - ok or is it illegal

And it probably all ends up in Romania or Thailand (various recent reports of where UK recycling actually ends up)

Toys I have no idea what do do about got a box of old, broken or not suitable ones that need to be disposed of somehow.
Packaging Is easy for me as I have a log burner so the card board goes in there.

Send them back to Lovehoney. They will dispose of any electronic toys including ones from other manufacturers, at least they used to!

Just noticed that this link used to have a postal address to send them to but it looks like some of the information has changed. Does anyone know if LH still have this service? If not I’m going to have to cut back on buying electronic toys! We have to make an appointment to go to the recycling centre and the people who work there are very nosy and usually want to see what you are throwing out so it gets thrown in the right place! Definitely not wanting to make an appointment to get rid of sex toys there!

I don’t believe they do anymore unfortunately! Have you checked recycling banks around you though? There’s a select few that have recycling for ‘small electrical items’ which would fit most toys :blush: There’s the recycle now link on the Lovehoney page you’ve linked, or just have a search on your local council website and they should have the info. That would mean you can avoid any human contact at the recycling centre!

1 Like

Lovehoney still say they take back “obsolete like-for-like goods as part of sale.”

I’d guess this means if you buy a vibrating toy from Lovehoney, you’re entitled to send back another vibrating toy you no longer want for disposal. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I hope so. But there isn’t an address anymore :confused: :woman_shrugging:

The return address on the parcels is the same as the main address on the website. That’s where I’d send them:
LH Trading, 100 Locksbrook Road, Bath, BA1 3EN, UK.
:+1:

1 Like

I never knew they did this.

I think it was more of a thing many moons ago. I think the original Rabbit Amnesty was free postage, and gave you Oh! Points too? It was before my time though, so I don’t know for sure.

But it seems like it’s been trumped by some new guidance about avoiding sending old batteries in the post?

Under the Waste Battery Regulations, Lovehoney offers a take back scheme. We’re able to recycle used batteries if you bring them to us.

However, it is extremely dangerous to send batteries in the post, so please only bring used batteries to us in person. DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) strongly advises against posting your used batteries for recycling.

Most supermarkets and shops that sell batteries will have collection bins for used batteries, and some town halls, libraries or schools may also set up collection points. Your local council may even collect batteries as part of their recycling services.

You can find your local waste battery recycling facility at www.recyclenow.com.

Though that reads like it just applies to actual batteries?

Well one of my old Fleshlights is going in the household waste shortly - unless anyone has a better idea?

I doubt it’s recyclable and it’s certainly not reusable.

I don’t care if the bin men find it - I’m not coy about the fact that I masturbate. At least one of our cleaners has seen it lying about!

Couriers and postal workers up and down the country deliver items with lithium and other batteries every day. How do they propose we get hold of our battery operated goods? In person??!

They’re new ones though?

Oh sure.
The wording says it‘s extremely dangerous to send batteries in the post. Is there a reason new ones are any different from used ones?

Oh yeah, sorry! Just re-read this. They‘re clearly talking about used being dangerous.

1 Like

I was going off this bit.

I genuinely don’t know though. Maybe older batteries are more chemically unstable?

But maybe that section only applies to domestic alkaline batteries, etc? It would be unusual for someone to drop a Greedy Girl in the supermarket battery recycling tub. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is it terrible of me that I want to do that now?!

:joy:

Using public bins to dispose of household waste is also a fineable offense. :point_up:t2:

1 Like

Suppose that depends on whether you define a toy as ‘household waste’ or a personal item you are disposing of in a responsible manner (and of course where you are in the world)