Trouble Sleeping

Seens as though it’s this silly time again I thought I’d write this now!

Anyone else have trouble sleeping? I’ve literally not fell asleep before around 3:30 in forever and always got up no later than 6:30! Always feel fine in the morning but then start flagging around 3pm ish! Get home at whatever time I finish (usually late) then can never switch off snd go to sleep :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

For the past few days I haven’t been able to sleep through the night and I fall asleep when I’m supposed to be getting up and it’s awful ugh.

1 Like

Yeah that’s kinda backwards haha I honestly don’t know what I can do to change my routine! The odd time I have managed to sleep early and sleep though I feel like I’m hungover in the morning :man_facepalming:t3:

Legit I’m tired all day usually and then at night sometimes my head hits the pillow and then there’s a circus in my head. My sleeping pattern is all over the place. When I finally get it right something always has to mess it up

2 Likes

Same here but I think with me as soon as I try rest and it’s quite my brains goes into work mode, planning my day and thinking about quotes or if the lads are going to bother turning in :man_facepalming:t3: That’s normally a Sunday night worry though! Can’t help it at all! I know others who do my job and they just forget work as soon as they’re in the van! If a customer rings me at 11pm I’d answer it and wouldn’t be funny about it :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@SteelA1 just answered your own question. You can’t switch off and sleep because you aren’t leaving work at work.
I know that is tough when it’s your own business (been there).
What worked for me was list’s. I have a folder or book and I list everything that is outstanding or to do.
Trick is keep this in the van / office / draw in the house and try your best not to look at it while you aren’t working.
Hopefully the fact it’s on paper will get it out of your head.

3 Likes

On top of what @Mrs.John said, what is your going to bed routine? Do you stop using computers, phones and the internet 90 minutes before you plan to go to bed? Do you do something nice and relaxing in that time? Do you do anything like positives or affirmations to leave you in a good frame of mind for sleep? Do you write down what is in your brain to help you clear it before sleep?

4 Likes

My sleep regime generally goes hand in hand with whatever is happening work wise. I’m self employed. I often do two or three or sometimes even four day stretches of 18 hour days, followed by a day or two of catching up on online stuff intermittently throughout the day, then another full 12 hour day, then a day of little work…and repeat. It is what it is. Occasionally I find myself nodding off mid afternoon but I’m at home so just have a snooze. It is what it is and it’s been the same for years. During lockdown when I couldn’t work I still found myself struggling to deal with more than 6 hours sleep and would wake up periodically throughout the night. Sounds like an old wives tale but a sure fire way to get a good night’s sleep was either sex or masterbation. If you’re struggling to actually get to sleep give it a try - the body and brain generally reacts and goes into sleep mode. And if not? It’s a fun way to at least try and encourage yourself to sleep. :wink:

And caffeine? Do you partake? I used to struggle but now I stop any caffeine after 5pm…

Having a wank works too - although I’m guessing that’s been attempted.

My sleep is rubbish, I have insomnia and generally function on 4-5 hours of broken sleep.

I went through a CBT for it. One of the tips was to make your mind focus enough on something that other you can’t worry about other things and that helps. I found counting down from 1000 in 7s or 8s helped somewhat or trying to complete an A-Z of a particular category, nothing that has emotional attachment. I tend to use sports teams or players.

2 Likes

I find coming and having an orgasm actually keeps me awake sometimes, which is soooo frustrating!

Echo a lot of what has been said already, but I’d definitely say turning off phone/lack of screen time earlier makes a lot of difference to me!

1 Like

On that popular video sharing website there is a 3 hour long video that has just the sound of rain, I find that helps me sleep. If you search rain sleep a few choices should come up.
As Kinky Mira mentioned, being away from the TV, mobiles or electrical devices that produces coloured rays for at least an hour prior to going to bed may also help.

3 Likes

Yup I sometimes struggle with sleep but have started using ASMR sleep audios to help me drift off, my personal go to is rain storms and thunder then I wake up to tropical beach atmosphere with the waves sweeping in on the sand. Really relaxes me and has helped loads

5 Likes

I struggle getting to sleep, I normally find reading helps me take my mind off anything I’m stressing about. But then sometimes I get too into it and end up reading for hours :see_no_evil:

ASMR is good too as @AJSTAR said! I’ve tried this a few times when nothing else will work :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve always been a terrible sleeper. Too much of a night owl and my partner is the total opposite. Like I have to be dosing-off tired before I get anywhere. Otherwise I’m just rolling around all night :confounded:

I’ve always had trouble sleeping. Mostly with the getting to sleep part. Have you considered trying melatonin supplements? That’s what I take. Been on it for about a month now, and it helps so much. It took a couple of days to get a good routine in but now I’m getting to sleep so much faster and my quality of sleep is better too.

nope.
Got in at six last night, exhausted after a day in the warehouse. Went for a ‘nap’ at 7pm, woke up at 8.30am - yay Sunday Mornings

1 Like

I never go to bed before I’m tired, so no watching TV or phone or computer in bed, most nights not until after midnight. Then I pray recalling all the good things that have happened to me during the day, like stuff that went well at work, nice meals, sunshine, rain, etc, focusing all on positive stuff. Many nights I fall asleep before the final Amen but almost always asleep within 10 mins of getting in bed
:pray:

1 Like