Ultra Violet tattoos.

I was out having a birthday drink and one of the women in the establishment was saying she has a UV tattoo. Now I didn't see it but the group were passing round a uv torch so I assume it's true.

I had never heard of UV tattoos before now. Are they common? How does the UV ink work?

There are a few tattoo artists that post occasionally, to you I ask have you been asked for UV tattoos or have you done any?

I would be interested in one. I always wanted to get a dogs paw print when our last dog had to be put down, but didn't want a big black tattoo, this seems a possibility to me.

What do people think?

UV tattoos or blacklight tattoos are tattoos made with inks that fluoresce visibly under an ultraviolet light. Depending upon the ink chosen a UV tattoo can be nearly invisible when illuminated only by light within the visible spectrum. Therefore, they have found popularity with people seeking a subtler tattoo. UV tattoos are particularly popular in the raver subculture for their distinctive. I personally have only ever seen them once ane that was at a carnival ( festival) i think they are great if you go to this sort of things often.

Delboy1991 wrote:

UV tattoos or blacklight tattoos are tattoos made with inks that fluoresce visibly under an ultraviolet light. Depending upon the ink chosen a UV tattoo can be nearly invisible when illuminated only by light within the visible spectrum. Therefore, they have found popularity with people seeking a subtler tattoo. UV tattoos are particularly popular in the raver subculture for their distinctive. I personally have only ever seen them once ane that was at a carnival ( festival) i think they are great if you go to this sort of things often.

^^ This.

I've been intrigued by UV tattoos for years, but there's something about the idea of having a substance with glowing capabilities under my skin which makes me feel a bit weird. Especially as it's something which can't simply be "removed" if it turns out to be hazardous to your health. 

UV tattoos have been around for at least 10 years now though, and so far I havn't heard any horror stories. 

I think it's something I'll do one day, to jazz up the tattoos I've got, but it's something I would want to do a lot of reasearch on first. 

If you wanted an alternative to UV, but don't want a black tattoo, you can have a tattoo without any black lines. A white tattoo could be an option. Take a look at watercolour tattoos and dainty tattoos for some more delicate inspiration :) 

I have a small UV tattoo on my back, i love it! I knew when i got it that it was somewhat unpredictable and unknown - the inks haven't been around long enough to truly know how they will age and what side effects they could have, but i figured it's a small amount of ink and I'm doing it for a positive reason. And i hadn't heard anything negative so far (still haven't) from people i know who also have UV tattoos. I've had no adverse effects from it.

ETA: i got mine done about 8 years ago

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

If you wanted an alternative to UV, but don't want a black tattoo, you can have a tattoo without any black lines. A white tattoo could be an option. Take a look at watercolour tattoos and dainty tattoos for some more delicate inspiration :)

This is not really an alternative to UV. Most UV ink is not visible unless you shine a blacklight over it (except for the first few months while the skin is healing).

White or coloured ink will always be visible. Also, bear in mind that white ink will discolour a little because there is pigment in skin - so sometimes it'll look creamish or yellow, never 'pure white'.

Thanks for the info people. It is a curiosity but I'm no where near certain of having one yet.

Pierced_n_Spanked wrote:

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

This is not really an alternative to UV. Most UV ink is not visible unless you shine a blacklight over it (except for the first few months while the skin is healing).

White or coloured ink will always be visible. Also, bear in mind that white ink will discolour a little because there is pigment in skin - so sometimes it'll look creamish or yellow, never 'pure white'.

Ah - I was referring to the OP who said they wanted something which isn't black ink, and something pale which is why they thought UV might be the way to go. The options I've given are an alternative to UV ink (because they're not UV ink 😜) but obviously they won't glow and won't be transparent in regular light. My suggestions were just other, pale options which Fun Louise might like to look into if she wants something less BLACK. If Fun Louise wants something insivible by day and glow by blacklight then you're right, UV ink is the only way to go. 

Some UV inks are visible in normal daylight - some of the coloured ones will show. And even the transparent ones can take up to 2 years to fully "disappear" in daylight. 

Older white inks used to be awful for discolouring over time, but so far all of my white ink is still crisp white :) This all depends on your own skin colour and the quality of the tattoo ink being used. White tattoos are becoming more and more popular though, which is making the quality of them improve too. 

Jess how long have you had your white tattoo?

Fun Louise wrote:

Jess how long have you had your white tattoo?

I don't have a 100% white tattoo, but several of my tattoos have white in them. 

The oldest I have is about 9 years old and the most recent is about 18 months. 

I also had a chat with Leanne about her tattoos.

Leanne's white bits (buhhuh) are still white. The white on her arm is a little off-white now but she had a suuuuperrr long session on that arm (7 hours) and it was done about 9 years ago and is near lots of other colour. 

The white in her other tattoos (which are likely better quality ink and were shorter sessions) are still crisp white like mine. 

Having seen this thread, I now think it'd be great to have a regular tattoo (say black), of a design, that was ink-tricated (pun!) with UV ink so that under the UV light it had a secret message or similar. I was thinking I might have one of a pizza slice, that says "I love" above the pizza slice, but then under UV light the pizza hides the message "being spanked"

Oh BTW< when I first clicked on this thread I misread it as ultra VIOLENT tattoos. Like Texas Chainsaw Tattoosacre

I have quite dark skin ton. Almost like a holiday summer tan but all year round and the white from my tattoo has totally gone 😢 its only 2 years old aswell. X

Sum Sub wrote:

Having seen this thread, I now think it'd be great to have a regular tattoo (say black), of a design, that was ink-tricated (pun!) with UV ink so that under the UV light it had a secret message or similar. I was thinking I might have one of a pizza slice, that says "I love" above the pizza slice, but then under UV light the pizza hides the message "being spanked"

That's funny but very possible, it seems you need the visible ink done first, let it heal then the uv bit can be done over the top.

What about "I love pizza" in visible ink, then "I love being spanked more" in uv?

I too share your love of pizza but it's not going to get me in my skirt by Saturday!

I am in no way an expert, this is just my own experience. I did look in to getting a UV tattoo but none of my local studios do them and they refuse to do them as it can look like a scar in normal light (apparently don't always fade completely) and the ink is different so often looks grainy / scratchy. After speaking to one of the local artists I decided against it, it was a novel idea at the time and I'm past it, I personally like my tattoos to be visible. It is just something to consider, of course do research and if you're happy then go ahead, tattoos are our own pleasure whethere or not they are visible :)

I am a fan of white ink tattoos. But with my sensitive skin I worry about how I will react, because the photos I've seen of white ink tattoos look delicate and textured or way too puffy. I think feathers look great in white ink, so that'll probably be more next piece.

I am always down for a bit of something different. So a UV tattoo is right up my street. I have a scarification tattoo on my arm that I get stopped and asked about a lot. That's the strangest modification I have had so far. I want my tongue split but the wife has threatened to divorce me if I get it done. I have always fancied having a really silly tattoo that would make people laugh so the UV being invisible under normal conditions would make that more possible.