Uterus transplant in transgender women

I have recently read a medical journal about a Dr who is trying to seek legal premision to conduct a legally sanctioned uterus transplant on one of his patients who is a transwoman.

Being a transwoman i have often dreamed of the chance to get pregnant and carry my own child. At the beginning of my transition, i was given the option to freeze my sperm. And if this procedure was to be made a viable option for transwomen then maybe with the correct doeses of hormone medication and medical support, maybe other transwomen throughout the world may just be able to live out the dream that i am sure many of us can only hope for.

5 Likes

I do hope that it does become a more viable option as those who wish to carry their own child should have the option to do so :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I don’t have that same desire so I can’t speak to the emotional side (though I realize that is a privilege to say as a cis-woman), just what reading some of the articles enlightened me on :+1: The fallopian tubes aren’t connected to the uterus, so the child can’t be conceived through sex and would be in-vitro fertilization (though since it’s a donated uterus if there were any eggs they would also be donated as all egg cells are already there when a person with a uterus is born), seems that the implant is currently temporary and recipients have to take anti-rejection drugs until after 1-2 babies are born and then you come off the drugs and the uterus is allowed to disintegrate, it’s currently very expensive (£10,000-£1,000,000 range), it is a very complicated procedure but the uteruses could be collected like other forms of organ donation possibly :thinking: Very fascinating, and like all procedures, hormones and other options becoming available to the LGBTQIA+ community (and those not in the community but who these advances also help), anything that helps a person feel and become more like who they know they are is a positive step forward in my mind :+1:

1 Like

This is the article i was reading and it is sounding extremely promising.

1 Like

Thanks for providing the link :+1: I’ll have a nice read of it in the morning :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Just off the bat it was published 4 years ago, so there would have been more research done by now and advancements :+1: Honestly if hysterectomies weren’t so hard to get (and the kind in the paper sound rather invasive/dangerous as it said deceased donors might be necessary) I’d donate my uterus, I don’t want kids and never will, but it could allow someone else the possibility to have their own :sweat_smile: Also, they brought up the F2M pool of possible donors, which would also be a good viable option as it would probably help them a bit with gender dysphoria as well :+1: I look forward to what others have to say on the topic :smiling_face:

edited by mod

Im aware that is a 4 year old article but nethertheless is still promissong

I just meant as it’s 4 years old there have probably been more advancements to make it even more of a promising option, not that it being 4 years old was a bad thing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know what you mean.

1 Like

I hate to be the bearer of bad news or to put a downer on the article but i think the article /procedure is as likely is mass travel to the moon.
The medical advancements would have to be massive, (I know we have come a long way already) but the cost of such treatment would be such that not routinely available. On my wish list would be at least 20 medical conditions to be beaten before this was even looked at. Sorry.

4 Likes

Very intriguing and yet amazing how science can be in modern times!
I’d probably think the biggest worry for something like this would be if the uterus don’t take to the host or function in the way of being able to get pregnant and produce eggs… also wonder where they get the uterus from :thinking:

1 Like

@AJSTAR, looking at articles the recipient needs to take anti-rejection drugs but as with anything it’s not guaranteed that the body wouldn’t still reject it :sweat_smile: And they are transplanted without the fallopian tubes so no eggs could be produced, so it would have to be in-vitro :sweat_smile: I think they get the uterus from someone recently deceased who was an organ donor, but they don’t really specify in the articles so :sweat_smile: In the one linked above they said F2M donors could be considered if they understand that the risks associated with it are much higher than a standard hysterectomy :thinking: :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had a hysterectomy 4 yrs ago, I would have loved there to have been an option to donate it. I read a little bit of the blog attached above and its so encouraging that there has been successful births!
I would really hope that this becomes an affordable reality for all that would benefit from it.

Woah is it just me or do that sound kinda scary in the sense that the high risks to perform such a procedure with no given certainty it’ll even work, could bring more dangers than a desired result?! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Omg I’d not heard about this at all! I’m just about to start my journey and this would actually be beyond my wildest dreams :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like