Vasectomy

Hello just a quick question

I’ve done a lot of reading up about getting a vasectomy (3 child recently born 100% do not want more happy with the 3 I have)
But seen a lot of things about them not allowing it to happen when your a certain age

Anyone had this same thing? I’m 24 and like I said I’m 100 if not 110% sure I don’t wanna any more little ones lol

3 Likes

Doctors don’t seem to like giving vasectomies these days. I’m over 50 and my wife is over 40 with kids and asked the doctor a while back if I could get one and he wanted us to explore other options first.

Not heard the age one before! I had my vasectomy at 35, 14 years ago. We had a short consultation with the surgeon who asked if we sure we wanted it be done, but also said as we were both there together then it was obvious we talked about and were prepared that kids would not be an option after the op. Maybe it’s a bit different now and at your age they might question more.

1 Like

I’d be surprised if any doctor would refuse to do a vasectomy if you’ve clearly thought about it and come to a sensible decision.

Hello @Arronw

I’m 25 and just had my vasectomy(Jan 2021). if you make it very clear that it’s the best thing for you and your family they tend to let it go.

They will mention your age multiple times but just be honest and firm saying that you don’t want anymore, even with another partner.

Happy to answer any other questions about getting the procedure, let me know!

4 Likes

Thankyou you all for your replies so do I just ring my gp and say I want it done and then it’ll go from there?

They usually want to know what your partner thinks about it, but your paying them they will do what you want.
I did mine in the chair awake, was odd but got it done. Just don’t do anything for a week, just sit and watch TV and you be fine. Don’t want a bleed out. Sit do nothing, plan for a week.

Yeah bit weird but I went with my dad when I was younger (had the rest of the day planned he acted like it was a drs appointment lol) he was in an out in about 15mins and just had 2 days off lol

I’m hoping I can just rest but 3 little ones seems ne’er on impossible to rest till there asleep haha

1 Like

You won’t need sleep, just not to get up all the time, just couch time. Try and plan it so you have help with kids

Hi

Had mine at 26. Dr asked several times if I was sure but accepted that knew what i was doing. Best decision.

My Husband had his last year age 39. Even at that age there was counselling. Lots of questions. What if I (his wife) or our child passed away. What if we broke up etc. As long as you have thought it through and are sure I dont suppose age is a massive factor.
Best thing we ever did for our sex life.

Hi @Arronw

What I will say is my main difficulty was/is stopping little ones using me as a climbing frame.

Also don’t forget to plan for the worse… my stitches ripped ended up with a week off work rather than the 2/3 days. Get child care help on day 1 and 2!

Personally I think you are too young. You might feel 100% at the moment, but life throws up curve balls and you then have a different mind set.
I was 40 when I had it done.
They don’t do it on young people for good reasons.
What if you found yourself in a new relationship and your partner was desperate for a child. It could break the relationship or prevent it if something you discussed as relationship was developing.
It’s something that needs lots of consideration by both parties.

My friends husband had it done in 2007 asked some awful questions like if your wife & 3 kids got killed and you wanted to start again etc. etc. So be prepared with quick answers.

He had it done awake in his lunch break said it was fine…and had sex with his pregnant (with child number 4) wife the same night.

He eventually got the all clear so by the time his daughter was born they could resume their sexual relationship… pregnancy worry free.

1 Like

I had one done at 30, my wife at the time didn’t want kids etc etc. The Dr asked lots of questions but in the end the operation was done. That was 20 years ago though haha.

Good luck and I hope you dont have many walls put up in your way.

Some doctors can be very funny about the age thing whether you have kids or not. I got my tubes tied at 29 (no kids) and the doctor made a big song and dance about being under 30. So in a few months time, I’ll gain all this sudden validation and wisdom I’ve never had before??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You said that you have been reading up vasectomies which is good. Do your research and even bring it with you to the consult if you’re sure this is what you want. That’s what I did with mine. It shows you haven’t just come in on a whim and you’ve thought long and hard about it.

As @jamie.hatch2 has said, just be clear and firm with them if they try to be funny with you. You’re an adult making an adult decision at the end of the day, so numbers shouldn’t factor in really. Good luck!

3 Likes

Doctors are usually hesitant to perform vasectomies because it is usually considered irreversible (though it can be reversed in some cases). For people who have it done at a younger age, doctors want to make sure that you won’t regret it later on.

In addition, doctors are rightfully fearful that they will be subject to a malpractice suit, which actually happens more than you’d think.

So yes, they will grill you to make sure that you are 100 percent sure that you don’t want kids and ask about potential hypotheticals to make you truly think about the decision, but also to cover their asses for future lawsuits.

If the doctor you go to does not want to perform the procedure or is not comfortable doing so, then you will need to find another doctor who is willing.

Good luck!

1 Like

Had mine about 15 years ago when I was 40ish. Got a lot of questions about being sure and that my wife and I had talked it through.

My Dr also said that, while they can be reversed, it’s not as easy a procedure and there aren’t any guarantees it can even be done. I took it to be a big part of the reason for making sure we had thought it through.

In the end, my wife and I are glad it was done and not having to worry about a little one we didn’t plan on.

Had mine on 23rd December last year. I am 32. We have 3 kids and I was able to self refer to clinic directly because we had just had the 3rd and they were asking about contraception. You can probably do the same. I called them and they booked me in for a phone consultation a few weeks later. They asked about my situation now; how many kids I have, what would I do if we split up, what would happen if a child died. Asked about my own health etc as well. Probably 15-20 mins.
Next appointment was available about a month later so took that. Went in and had to sign some waivers and explain why I wanted it again. Spoke to the doctor a bit and then straight into the room. Few injections into the sac and about 10 mins later I was back in the other room going through aftercare.
All in all was probably in the clinic no longer than 25-30 minutes. Didn’t have time off because it was over Christmas hols anyways but would have needed about 3 days I think.

I’ll not talk about pain or anything like that because everyone’s perception is different and I don’t think it should factor into a decision like this.

I had it in 1989 when I was 25, had 3 kids and didn’t want to have any more with the women I was with. We split up 12 months Later, met another woman in 1991 who also had 3 kids Didn’t want anymore. Had fun practicing though, firing more blanks than the T. A, married in 1993 and we’re still together, although we don’t have a sex life anymore, that’s another story for another day.