Where has all the purple gone?

I purchased this toy, from Lovehoney, about a year ago: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13996

This is the kind of toy I like, but have to be in the mood for. Recently as I haven't been in the mood for this toy, so it has laid dormant within my toy box, for about 3-4months. It was out of direct sunlight and stored away from other toys... but somehow, the purple of the toy, has almost vanished to somewhere. I have no idea what has happened to the purple colour of this toy, but it concerns me. It not only concerns me that the colour has vanished while not in use, but also, I'm worried that the colour has been vanishing during use.

Has anyone had anything similar happen with this product, or others from there range?

How wierd! It looks like its purple all the way through though rather than just on the outside so unless it's been out in the sun it's bizarre! What colour is it now?! Are you sure you ordered a purple one and haven't got confused through not using it for so long?! that's more like what would happen to me! haha. Good luck in finding the answer to your mystery! Have you seen any evidence of the colour rubbing off whilst in use?

merry cherry wrote:

How wierd! It looks like its purple all the way through though rather than just on the outside so unless it's been out in the sun it's bizarre! What colour is it now?! Are you sure you ordered a purple one and haven't got confused through not using it for so long?! that's more like what would happen to me! haha. Good luck in finding the answer to your mystery! Have you seen any evidence of the colour rubbing off whilst in use?

When give the option, I always buy purple, and it was purple when purchased - even my OH agrees it has changed color. There's still a little bit of purple in it, but it's more of a frosted white with a little purple centre. As it's been just over a year (I think) since ordering it, I doubt I can return it, but I would still like to know the reason why it has changed. It really does worry me that it has changed colour, and makes me worried that some nasties were in it, which could've harmed my body.

Nope, the colour didn't rub off during use. It's a toy I tend to use with my partner, as it's one I need to warm up to. Always used water-based lubes too.

Though, today I also found a toy where the colour fades, but it rubs/ peels off.....

I have this one in the same range http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=15111 but it was a paler blue than the one shown and it too has faded so it's almost clear. Again, it's kept in a box under the bed so no sunlight can get to it. It does smell so I wonder whether the chemical smell is the material off gassing and causing colour change.... hmmm.

Not sure that's good.

That's interesting, that you've had the same thing happen. I've tweeted pipedreams via twitter, but feel I probably should email them about it, as to me there's something wrong about it :/

I bought this sometime ago: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=13994

I wasn't sure about the material so I kept using it with a condom. It was pink and after sometime (about 9-10 months I think) I did notice some discoloration as well. I kept mine in its original packaging, in a storage box, in a closet away from direct sunlight, heat or moisture. It also started to lose its shine and the surface ended up looking funny, despite that I always kept it clean. In the end, I had to chop it in pieces and throw it away.

I have to say the whole situation was disturbing, I'm really unsure about how body safe this material is.

PS: I've had jelly rubber dildos before and never had similar problems...

Sometimes the colour is painted on and will peel off.

In this case it sounds as if the colouring agent was not stable and decayed to a different state.

This is quite common in chemistry and so it should not be regarded as miraculous. On the other hand it does raise questions of the advisability of using this colouring agent for objects that are going to be inserted into sensitive places.