Who's cooking what tonight?

Salad for my lot tonight with a roasted chicken not the most exciting tea ever but we love a good salad

3 Likes

Bolognese with ramen noodles. Sounds bonkers, i know, but dont knock it till youve tried it as Its really good.

3 Likes

The Saturday local market with it’s street food stalls kindly cooked for me to day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

KFC. That’s home made Kentucky Fried Cauliflower!

3 Likes

I use to love cauliflower cheese, not had a deep fried cauli though :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I don’t understand what most of these meals are :sweat_smile: our menu consists of - tikka masala with fried rice n that’s as extravagant as it gets, Sunday roast usually beef not the day though had crumpets :see_no_evil: pizzzza n chips or garlic bread, spaghetti Bolognese, chilli con carne, n now I’m struggling :scream:

2 Likes

If you can manage to cook tikka masala, you can definetly cook bolognese. Its really pretty straitforward. First proper meal i ever learnt to cook as a kid. (Chilli con carne is basically very similar but with a few extra ingredients)
Also you have to try cauliflower cheese, omg it is the best. Amazing with sausages and a baked potato. Heaven

1 Like

Oh I can cook the ones I wrote, although my first attempt at spag bol as an epic fail, tried doing it with oil it looked like a lump of lard :sweat_smile: I will master more meals as time goes on but I’m not a good cook (yet,) practice makes perfect right? :smirk:

1 Like

I still struggle to time a roast meal so everything is done at the same time, so your not alone. Practice definitely helps :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sardines in tomato and olive pasta

1 Like

Oh my life my mouths watering, cauliflower cheese :yum::yum::yum: do you make your own sauce or buy one of those cheese sauces?

It’s difficult to time everything right for a roast right? Try breaking the menu down so you don’t get overwhelmed by the different tasks. Sounds silky but I make lists and have alarms so I know when to do the next part of meal :+1:

Please people , make your own sauce :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers for the top tip, consider it done :+1::smirk: need to broaden the range of meals we have and this page has lots of inspiration :yum:

1 Like

Own sauce too. Just a white sauce with cheese in it (i sometimes cheat and use cornflower to thicken the milk instead of making a rue) but it makes a big difference if its not from packet

Great tip about the timings, thanks. Maybe next time i wont boil the potatoes into oblivion :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for that, yous are inspiring me to go for something new :kissing_heart:

Haha, don’t worry I’ve been known to do that with tomato soup (getting distracted easily isn’t welcome in the kitchen) you’ll be amazed how beneficial something so simple can be, let me know how you get on next time :+1:

Thanks @Melody1 cooking tips are always welcome in this camp :smile: the thought of doing sauce from scratch used to be scary but from what I’ve heard it’s quite a simple method? :crossed_fingers::smirk:

1 Like

My pasta sauce this evening was really easy, so much better than out of a jar:
Finely chop a load of onions, start gently frying in a pan with a little olive oil
Chop a load of tomatoes, throw those in (or a tin of chopped to make it real easy)
Chop a load of olives, throw those in
Add some herbs like basil and a little black pepper
Add a slug of red wine if you are into it
Simmer for a while
I sometimes add garlic too dependant on what I’m having it with
No salt, no sugar, no flavourings, no preservatives, no colourings

2 Likes

My mouth is watering, that sauce sounds delicious :yum:

I’m quite jealous of all the good cooks around here, fully intend on using any pointers to improve ze skills :smirk:

2 Likes

My top tip would be to re-write recipes once you’ve tried them. They often leave out things (for example, they might not say to chop the onions, so the steps need added). They also often combine steps that really should be separate (just so they can say “Make this meal in 4 steps”).
They also often put things in an order that if you are a top chef, you can achieve, but a mere mortal at home has no chance of doing all the steps in time. Rewrite them to suit you. It also allows you to change recipes to your taste (eg, add more of something, less of something or a slightly different flavour)
We put all our recipes in plastic pockets, and always have it out to check, even if we know the recipe well - makes sure you don’t miss things out.

I think you have some very lovely meals, everything sounds great and so much variety. @AmyA

1 Like

Roast chicken, stuffing, dry roast tatoes, gravy, veg and probubly some roast sweet potato too as they needs using. :chicken:

1 Like