"Why aren't you in uniform?" demeaning to women?

I not sure if everyone’s seen the “why aren’t you in uniform?” trend on Tiktoc I’ve seen on Facebook Watch, it’s a voice over clip from of all things spongebob, we’re girls, and it is all girls walk on to camera normally dress to the question being asked and then the walk of and reappear in various sexy and revealing uniforms or dress.
On the comments there are a lot of people, mostly women saying this is demeaning to women and blaming men for women to feel they need to do this as it demanded.
Now as a man I admit I’ve watched these videos and do enjoy them but at no point have I demanded women do these clips! to me the women are all stunning and proud of their looks and quite happy at their own choice to show of how good they look. These women choose to do it as it is quite literally there choice.
So I ask am I wrong? Am I looking at this in a typically male way and is it demeaning for women or men for that matter to be happy to show off there looks. Also if this was men doing this would there be the same attitude towards women demeaning men?

2 Likes

I think it is the reference to a ‘uniform’ e.g. suggesting that it is a women’s job to look sexy that is the demeaning part of this. I would just add I haven’t seen any of these but from what you describe that’s how I would see the issue with it.

2 Likes

Get what you’re saying as I didn’t look at it that way.

1 Like

Sounds like another good reason not to be on Tik Tok to me. :joy::joy::joy:

I just about cope with occasional log ins on Facey. That’s enough social media for me.

4 Likes

Dont have Tiktok myself, Ironically it’s on Facebook Watch I’ve seen the Tiktok videos!!:smirk::smirk::smirk:

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re on about, because I don’t have tiktok because I’m over 15years old :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Again it’s a Tiktok trend that I saw on Facebook. :confused:

1 Like

I had a quick look at the vids you mentioned and it’s no different to the rest of the videos on there that I’ve seen. Plenty of girls showing off their stuff and being suggestive. I don’t use or relate to the site, but I doubt men are putting out a list of demands for women to follow. Maybe they are doing these videos because it makes them feel good or confident? And even if they want to be nothing but eye candy, don’t they have the freedom to do so? People can make plenty of money online these days by using their looks, too.

6 Likes

Exactly my thoughts on it, it’s like women using OnlyFans for a living, it’s their choice they have to control their life how they like.

1 Like

By going by the description , it sounds like a post with one reason to get hits I would guess . I do three forms of social media , here , YouTube and a motorcycle site . Yeah many of those sites you refer to seem to really draw in a younger crowd . In my old age it seems to me that people’s feelings get hurt pretty much whatever you say and can make a war out of the simplest statement . People can take the most benign statement and twist it to be offensive . We may be doomed with all the keyboard social justice warriors that more and more control our politicians .

3 Likes

As usual it sounds like the typical thing where these videos were made in an innocent sense for fun but people have then jumped to the stereo of it being sexist which as you mentioned if it was the other way round with men doing it then you’d have no end of these comments being dribble over how hot the men look rather than thinking is this actually for once putting pressure on men to be fit sexy males…

I believe if your happy in your skin then who’s to say how you should or shouldn’t be about it, as long as your not causing damage or hate to others :relieved:

2 Likes

S**ttok enough said :wink:

2 Likes

Very fair point you make.

2 Likes

There choice to post a picture, no one has forced them. Imagine it of them are making money from it!

Same as banning ring walk girls or page 3, taking away a womans living she’s made a choice to do!

My opinion is its just as sexist to suggest they shouldn’t be doing it and men are demanding it! Let people live there lives.

Litrally no one but that woman has decided to post that video!

2 Likes

Exactly, it’s like when F1 and motorsport banned grid girls! Those girls chose to joined agencies, we’re never coerced in to doing it, they bought glam to the sport by their own choice and lots were doing it to support going through university or even their families and thanks to the actions of a few they had their control of their livelihoods and futures taken away from through no fault of their own.

2 Likes