Why do women prefer solo sex over having intercourse with a partner?

I have read this devastating article :speak_no_evil: and wanted to ask the ladies, are you not attracted to your partner(s) or do they just not know how to satisfy a woman?

Quote:
Almost half of all women actually prefer solo sex to doing the deed with a real live man.In fact, a whopping 41 percent of women say they enjoy pleasure themselves over having actual sex.

Source:

Info graphic:

This question will hopefully be answered, discussed and debated here.

2 Likes

Cool, more time to go fishing!:grin:

4 Likes

Personally I prefer sex with my husband, but if I just want a quick, guaranteed orgasm them I will masturbateā€¦but my husband does like to watch!

13 Likes

No wonder my OH is never interested in sexā€¦ sheā€™s probably wore out from being at home alone with the kids back to school using the LH toys I buy her!

Oh well, as long as she sleeps good at night. Just wish she would let me watch at leastā€¦! LOL

4 Likes

Firstly, the article is from 2013 and a lot has changed since then.

Secondly, there is no context to the survey. How many women were surveyed, what were the exact questions asked, what were the relationship statuses of participants, does partnered sex purely mean PiV in this context and if so, were participants asked if there were any relevant contributing factors in not enjoying PiV (such as medical issues, trauma, relationship issues) to name a few people things we need to know before drawing conclusions. Honestly, the infographic is just a marketing ploy and a pretty crappy one at that.

Thirdly, why is it devastating to you that 41% of women would rather masturbate than have partnered sex?

23 Likes

Good points from @Calie to consider, and before I met my partner I was incredibly asexual and now I canā€™t get enough :woman_shrugging: I masturbate pretty regularly but I want the OH just as much, theyā€™re just different :woman_shrugging: For me masturbation is mainly about orgasm, whereas sex is more about a physical and emotional connection to my partner whether or not I orgasm from it :woman_shrugging: Even if I could never orgasm from partnered sex Iā€™d still prefer it and still take it over masturbation because itā€™s when I feel closest with my partner :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: But that doesnā€™t discredit other women who donā€™t have a partner (whatever their sexual orientation may be), or who prefer masturbation as everyone can do as they please :woman_shrugging: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

I believe that not only the men are to blame that she has no sexual desire. Sexual dysfunction in women is common, with a community prevalence of 30% to 50%. Sexual frigidity is described as the inability to experience orgasm or sexual pleasure, or the absence of sexual desire.

No, biologically nothing has changed in such a short time,the percentage of women who are not sexually interested in another partner is consistent with numerous studies on frigidity. (Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorders). To answer your question, It is certainly not helpful if one partner does not find the other sexually attractive at all and also has no sexual interest in them, Iā€™m sure that this situation is certainly a psychological burden for a partner as he feels unloved and undesired. This discrepancy of interests is devastating for a relationship.

1 Like

Biologically nothing may have changed, but sex is about more than biology. Societal attitudes have changed hugely in that time. The most obvious example being that Fifty Shades was first starting to become known to the mainstream around that time. Love it or hate it, it had massive cultural impact as well as a pretty big impact in many bedrooms (pun wasnā€™t intended but Iā€™m rolling with it). But beyond that, there has been massive strides with sex positivity in tandem with changes to how we view gender and sexuality.

However, I would be very interested in reading the studies you cite if you could share links. However, it it my understanding that the term ā€œfrigidityā€ isnā€™t one that many of the researchers in this area now use as it is not a medical term and often used as a negative towards women.

When sexual desire changes within a relationship (in either direction), it certainly can have devastating effects. However, there is no context to the article/survey youā€™ve linked to suggest that this is the case. Those surveyed could have be predominantly single and prefer masturbation over a one night stand, they could be in relationships and have always preferred masturbation so there is no change in the sexual intimacy between partners, they could be in relationships with people who have very low sexual desire, they could prefer masturbation but still want to have sex 3 times a day. There is no indication that there actually is any discrepancy of interest.

17 Likes

This is giving me flashbacks to this thread/debate/argumentā€¦

Surveys show most women reach orgasm by penetration without stroking the clitoris at the same time

Some people get pleasure without having a penis inside them, it doesnā€™t need to big deal or ā€˜devastatingā€™

As @Calie says it seems be a very blunt piece of marketing without any details on where they have got their information from (8% are lying about not masturbating? Sounds very factual and scientific!) I wouldnā€™t get yourself too upset about it!

15 Likes

Iā€™m pleased Mrs Sen is in the camp that prefers PIV rather than solo -

During our on/off periods of chastity, she participates more to please me than as an exercise of her sexuality. She loves the additional love and affection but she is most fulfilled when it involves my penis. Not necessarily from a pure sexual satisfaction perspective, most of her orgasms are derived from toys, but there is still an almost instinctive level of connection not reached by toys alone.

I think you only need to read these forums, there are numerous posts from people (male and female) who use masturbation for sexual relief, but still crave physical connection with their partner, masturbation just doesnā€™t scratch the itch the same way that partnered sex does.

10 Likes

This is what proves the whole thing is nonsense.
So they are saying that EVERYONE masturbates - 100% of women definitely masturbate, so if they donā€™t admit it - they must be lying.
Absolute bull ā€¦ reading things like this is what gives people issues, and itā€™s not even true.

I also agree with @Calie
Those 41% of women who prefer sex - may be mostly people who are in happy relationships so enjoy sex with their loved ones.
There are many, many reasons why 59% of people may not prefer sex over solo masturbation:
*No partner
*No sex drive
*Tiredness
*Disabilities
*Illness
*Pregnancy
*Medication side-effects
*Resentment
*Feeling unloved by partner
*Cheating
*Past experiences
*Anxiety
*Lack of sexual chemistry
*No self-esteem
*No confidence
(plus many more)

There are people - men and women, who do not have intercourse but enjoy playing with toys and fulfilling their desires.
I donā€™t see anything wrong with that - you get all the fun, but without the drama and hassle.

9 Likes

Itā€™s been said above but itā€™s true and I couldnā€™t agree more. I would always choose full on sex with my husband if given the choice, but thatā€™s not always going to result in atleast one orgasm.

If I need to cum, then Iā€™ll masturbate. Then Iā€™ll want to have sex even more :joy:

13 Likes

Me personally, I prefer having sex with my hubby. And my best orgasmā€™s come from are having sex with him, and it doesnā€™t take him long either. But yes I do masturbate but most of the time heā€™s watching me :smirk: and when I masturbate on my own itā€™s just cos Iā€™m waiting for him to get home from work and just shag me, I just need to get that bit of sexual relief until we get our time together, but then once I cum Iā€™m craving more for him, and I know itā€™ll be more intense orgasmā€™s when we do have sex.

1 Like

I thought that too! The adherence to meaningless survey statistic etc. That person vanished afterwards. Maybe iā€™m way too cynical?

5 Likes

Thatā€™s what I thought as soon as I started seeing all those percentages and long explanations :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Almost as if itā€™s the same person under a new identity?

3 Likes

You cynic @WillC

4 Likes

Not sure I understand why you feel devastated by this, it is merely an article?
I would understand the devastation if perhaps you were directly impacted by this personally, but I really donā€™t get the point.
If I was in a relationship and my partner had no sexual interest in me from the outset, but I did them, then something for me isnā€™t right in the relationship. It would simply imply the relationship is not right. If something has changed over time and my partner has lost sexual interest, there could be many reasons behind that - as much as anything, most likely me not giving her the love care and attention she deserves.
There should be no expectation for my partner to conform to expectation - and subsequently any psychological burden on my part would be my own doing through staying in a relationship where my needs are not being met.
This, of course, is not considering there may be reasons such as medical/physical or any other than may have a genuine impact in this area.

To look at an article like that and then have views like that is confusing. We are not forced into relationships, we have choices. If I choose to be with someone that has no interest in sex then that is entirely on me - not the person they are with.

Are those really the only questions that you have from the article? As per above, if youā€™re really devastated by the articles findings, you might need to open your mind a little to consider other aspects to it within the relationship itself, if of course the person is in a relationship to begin with.

@Calie has hit nail firmly on head with her posts IMO, there is nothing taken into account of societal changes around gender, sexual or romantic identification which has been massive over the last 5 years.
Iā€™m actually annoyed with myself that Iā€™ve actually replied back, but there we go. Feels very ā€˜click baitā€™ to me, unfortunately Iā€™ve bit.

8 Likes

I dont, i prefer my man. Having said that, im guaranteed an orgasm on my own. I dont always cum with penetrative sex, and it got to the point of the enjoyment waning as he would cum, and im like, well what about me. But, my man now understands, so i am well looked after now. He will lick me & i will always have a clit orgasm. But now he is able to use 2 fingers hard & fast & with clit play with fingers or licking at same time and he makes me have G spot & clit orgasm at the same time and oh my god, its truly amazing! Then we make love & ive been have light orgasms inside during sex. So look after your woman, dont be selfish, tend to her needs too, we know when men cum, but you cant always tell when a woman cums :wink:
If you want to pleasure your woman, ensure she cums before you. Can you imagine yourself as a man, your partner cumming, rolling over & going to sleep, leaving you with a hard on and still horny?

3 Likes