Adult circumcision

Morning people, it would appear I've started to suffer from phimosis at the ripe old age of 34. I have a very active sex life and it's not painful. Basically when I get had hard and the foreskin retracts it's stretching so much and tearing the foreskin, I'm not talking about my banjo (frenulum) as I've done that before.
I know the first answer everyone will say is go see your GP, well I'm working on that...
What I am asking you all is has anyone been circumcised as an adult? How was the recovery, have you had any mental issues afterwards? The thought of it scares the hell out of me, I have been looking at photos and to me the penis looks mutilated. This is obviously on top of the fear of my man hood going under the knife in the hands of a complete stranger never to be the same again.
Any help would be great!

I had mine done at 18 (almost 20 years ago now) because of a tight foreskin issue. I was only just becoming sexually active at that age so I don't have a lot of experience of sex with a foreskin. In my case
a circumcision obviously made sex a lot more pleasurable as my tight foreskin meant that it would be uncomfortable to 'unsheath' him, and then it often wouldn't go back over properly when I'd finished.

I actually think my little chap is more visually appealing without the hood. I've been told on numerous occasions that I have a very pretty penis (it's an unusual compliment, but I'll take it).

Operation-wise mine was a general anesthetic (possibly because of complications), but done very quickly. I had to wait around afterwards for the drugs to wear off and also to have a pee to make sure there were no issues.

Recovery-wise it was a little sore where they'd stitched the remaining foreskin under my bellend, and I needed to switch to briefs for a few weeks to add support. It starts off being very sensitive but you gradually lose some of the sensation in the tip as it gets acclimatised to being knocked about unprotected in your pants as you potter about your daily routine.

I did have to readjust when having a pee as I found it shoots out a lot faster. There was a lot of piss up my toilet, and good stretch of wall too. πŸ™‚

Sex-wise I have a lot of fun. I'm sure it must be different due to different parts being sensitive now, but I can't remember. Getting it done at 30 is going to be a lot different than getting it done at 18, but I don't think it's a terrible idea if you need it. Personally I'm glad I got mine done and I don't think of it as mutilated in the slightest.

Obviously see what your GP says as there may be different options for your issue.

How this helps. x

I hope you get some good news stories Burh, I did cringe while reading your post >.< I've also torn my frenulum. I didnt noice right away.. lets just say it was scary and worthy of a murder scene when we noticed.

I did a quick google (bored at work) and its not looking to bad and just a regualr op these days. The only thing that would worry me is how sensitive it is under the foreskin, might have to wear loose pants after for a bit.

Go see you GP :)

good luck

Thank you for the replies. Just the thought of going to the doctors scares the hell out of me! Let alone maybe needing the surgery.

I know it’s a scary thought discussing these things with a doctor and having to be examined and such, but it’s possible if it’s discovered whilst it’s mild, that a steroid cream could help and there may be no need for circumsion. In some cases there are stretches that might be able to help too so it’s definitely worth that scary visit to the doc to exhaust other options before getting ahead of yourself and worrying about the possibility of surgery.

Good luck!

I have a feeling my situation was made worse because I didn't get it sorted earlier.

I was only 18 and had no clue that I even had an issue until it was a real problem. Because of that I don't think there were many options left on the table for them to offer me, and so I got circumcised.

I genuinely didn't find it a scary experience though, if you do end up going down that route.

Best to see what the doctor has to say.

Hi Burhol84#,

I had the same thing at a similar age to you, and after being in denial for a while that it would get better it just didn't, sex wasn't the same it was more painful and it got to the point where i'd tare everytime I had sex with my wife.

So bit the bullet nd went to the GP, told to get a circumcision, and i will say it's one of the best things i've ever done, it wont look mutilated, my wife says it actually looks more appealing to her, smoother, her words my head is much thicker so she really likes it, it's cleaner, it's just as sensitive as it was before.

Only advice is avoid getting hard as best as you can for the week after the op, I ripped my stitches so now have a small scar but it's harly noticable.

Recovery was only around 3 weeks and then I was able to fully have sex with my wife again so was absolutly fine.

if you have any other questions just fire away.

Ian Chimp wrote:

I had mine done at 18 (almost 20 years ago now) because of a tight foreskin issue. I was only just becoming sexually active at that age so I don't have a lot of experience of sex with a foreskin. In my case
a circumcision obviously made sex a lot more pleasurable as my tight foreskin meant that it would be uncomfortable to 'unsheath' him, and then it often wouldn't go back over properly when I'd finished.

I actually think my little chap is more visually appealing without the hood. I've been told on numerous occasions that I have a very pretty penis (it's an unusual compliment, but I'll take it).

Operation-wise mine was a general anesthetic (possibly because of complications), but done very quickly. I had to wait around afterwards for the drugs to wear off and also to have a pee to make sure there were no issues.

Recovery-wise it was a little sore where they'd stitched the remaining foreskin under my bellend, and I needed to switch to briefs for a few weeks to add support. It starts off being very sensitive but you gradually lose some of the sensation in the tip as it gets acclimatised to being knocked about unprotected in your pants as you potter about your daily routine.

I did have to readjust when having a pee as I found it shoots out a lot faster. There was a lot of piss up my toilet, and good stretch of wall too. πŸ™‚

Sex-wise I have a lot of fun. I'm sure it must be different due to different parts being sensitive now, but I can't remember. Getting it done at 30 is going to be a lot different than getting it done at 18, but I don't think it's a terrible idea if you need it. Personally I'm glad I got mine done and I don't think of it as mutilated in the slightest.

Obviously see what your GP says as there may be different options for your issue.

How this helps. x

Ditto. The same in almost every detail.

Obviously the sex is the most important thing here but in terms of
recovery time, are you allowed to do any sort of exercise in the
days/weeks following the surgery? I'm quite an active person (gym,
running etc.) and one of the main reasons I've not gone to the doctors
to see to my phimosis is because I'm worried it's going to sideline me
from exercise for weeks.

You should go and see your GP and get some advice. They'll be able toguide you through the official 'dos and don'ts'. From what I remember it wasn't an arduous recovery. There was some discomfort as the stitches healed, and I definitely needed extra support to stop it slapping around so I wouldn't recommend jogging right away. πŸ™‚ I would've thought you'd be able to tailor a fitness routine to adapt for a week or two, increasing intensity and mobility day-by-day as you heal. It's not like having stitches in your hand or stomach that you could bust open every time you bend down. It might be a bit uncomfortable for awhile, but it heals pretty quick. Honestly though, you should go to your GP and see what they say. A circumcision may not even be necessary in your case.
Sorry about the wall of text. The formatting is playing up again.

Thanks for the reply - no worries about the wall of text, it seems
mine got squished too. I think I'll most likely have to have surgery
as mine is pretty tight and has never really rolled back properly.

I think in the long run you'll appreciate having sorted it out. You
should be able to still do exercise during your recovery, just perhaps
not everything you normally do. It's not like you'll be bed-ridden. πŸ™‚

As I remember I wore padding around the end for about a week as it is
tender to start with. After that week it got progressively less so until
it could be forgotten about during day to day activities. Very happy I
had it done (nothing to catch in zips), and when turned on it is just as good.

So I went to the doctors yesterday who said circumcision would be
recommended. He did however suggest maybe thinking of going the shang
ring route as it doesn't involve stitching and I can be back at work
quicker. Has anyone had this done?

I don't have any experience of the shang ring, but I did want to say
well done for going to see your gp. πŸ‘ If the doctor says it'll heal
quicker with the shang ring and be more active sooner, then it sounds
like that's an option you'd prefer. Did they say if there are any
downsides to the ring versus stitches?

I also have phimosis and am looking at stretching rings rather than circumcision, so I can go that route as a last resort. Does anyone have experience of using these? and what were the results like?

Gentleman with lady wrote: I also have phimosis and am looking at stretching rings rather than circumcision, so I can go that route as a last resort. Does anyone have experience of using these? and what were the results like? I tried stretching rings last year but found that although it helped a little, it never got to the point where it would retract over the head of the penis completely. It might depend on how tight it is - mine is quite tight. Ian - the doctor said it takes longer to heal, but is a quicker op and is less invasive as you let the body do the healing naturally, rather than stitching it together. I've found a place in London that speacilises in it, so I think that might be my next port of call.

redheadj wrote:

Ian - the doctor said it takes longer to heal, but is a quicker op and is less invasive as you let the body do the healing naturally, rather than stitching it together. I've found a place in London that speacilises in it, so I think that might be my next port of call.
It's good that you get options though, even if it does make choosing a bit trickier. I'm glad you're keeping going with it, you'll feel so much better when you can say that it was a problem you used to have.

Let us know how the shang ring appointment goes. It seems like there's a few people following this thread that might be interested in knowing about it too. πŸ™‚

I had this problem since I child I guess, but it wasn't until the teenage years where pubity hit and things "grew" down there, that I started to realise that getting fully hard was becoming a problem. I could still technically pull the foreskin back when hard, but it became so tight I could only bare it for a few seconds before my head started going purple. It was pretty painful. It really put me off getting close to anyone sexually and the rare time anything happened, it was an embarrassing, painful, anxiety ridden mess. It wasn't until 21 that I decided enough was enough and I needed to go to the GP. I tried moisturizer and steroid creams with stretching techniques for months but I never saw noticeable results. Eventually I went back and was recommended a circumcision. The operation itself was fine. Fairly quick under general anesthesia and when you wake up they observe you on the ward untill you pass urine for the first time. Unfortunately I was kept overnight because waking up from the anaesthetic made me feel quite nauseous and I was sick. The healing time was a good couple of months for me. Good God I did not realise at the time how many unconscious boners I got at night! For a couple of weeks I had broken sleep from washing up in pain from my boner pulling right on the stitches! Very very uncomfortable. They put in stitches that they claimed would dissolve after a few weeks but I had read that by the time they do, your skin will have already healed around it creating a 'tunnel'. Definitely take them out sooner but NOT too soon for obvious reasons. I was shit scared of taking them out and splitting open but honestly, listen to your body, you'll know when it's right. I remember sitting on the toilet with tiny scissors carefully snipping and pulling them out. I left two in, one either side of my frenulum, because it looked like it needed more time, but I left it too long and now I have that 'tunnel'. But it really only looks like two large skin pores and you wouldn't know they are 'connected'. But I can imagine it would have looked rather unsightly having regular pairs of 'dots' all around the circumference. I didn't have a partner for a long time even after I was fully healed, but when I did, I that I didn't feel as sensitive as I should. I honestly felt quite disappointed with my decision. I kind wished I'd tried the stretching option harder. But realistically I think this was my only real option. IMPORTANT! Sorry, but if you skip the rest of the wall of text at least read this If you think about it, having your head exposed 24/7, rubbing in your pants, extremes of temperature (e.g. hot shower/cold pool); the skin on your head dries out, gets harder and thicker, like a callous, burying those nerve endings deeper making you less sensitive. I was looking for a solution to the problem and came across a company called "Man Hood Canada". They make these sticky stretchy double walled fabric "socks" that velcro over your man hood which acts like a substitute foreskin. I can hands down say this has saved me. After a couple of weeks I could already seen and feel the difference. The skin on the head of my penis is now smooth, soft and shiny, instead of dry and rough. Sex feels so much better. I wear one all the time now. It's a bit strange at first but once you get used to the idea, it's as natural as putting the socks on your feet every day. You don't think about it. Luckily I have an understanding wife too who is used to it. She ctually likes some of the different man hood material designs. I no longer have the same regrets about my circumcision, and my now wife actually says that I have a "handsome penis" (lol) and prefers it to one with a foreskin. Plus it's a lot cleaner. Hope this helps. Good luck! TL;DR Google search: Man Hood Canada