All about the lube

Hello, we have always used Maximus lube for all our play but recently discovered that it is no longer stocked. Having looked at other loops I was wondering if anyone can tell me, based on experience if at all possible, the difference between the Lovehoney normal lube and their anal lube? Is there any significant difference in the feel? Thanks

We used to use Maximus but we now use Lovehoney Discover which is, as far as we can tell, exactly the same as Maximus.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=35809

We uae it for all our activities including anal.

I've used both and like Rockstar says they seem to be the same.

Forgive my ignorance but what does PIV mean?

sexperiment wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but what does PIV mean?

Although I have never asked or seen an explanation, I have always assumed it meant Penis In Vagina.

Relating to the original theme, is there any reason why one shouldn't use standard water-based lube for ass play with toys rather than anal lube?

MaD_Couple wrote:

Relating to the original theme, is there any reason why one shouldn't use standard water-based lube for ass play with toys rather than anal lube?

Vaginas produce some lubrication naturally so lubes intended to ease PIV sex are usually thinner. Anal lubes tend to be thicker so they are slippier and are also longer lasting. There is no problem using anal lubes for all other purposes though so we only buy the LH Discover and use it for everything.

Cheers rockstar.

Wish I'd asked this question before putting my latest order in, which arrived a couple of hours ago, as we only ordered standard lube along with a couple of starter butt-plugs (neither of us have ever tried them before).

We shall just have to play with the other goodies until we put our next order in. :D

Technically, yes you can use standard water based lube for anal. The benefit of a thicker lube is that it gives a little more cushioning between you and the toy. Not all standard lubes have the same thickness though so try a little on your hand first and see how runny it is and see how you feel about it (if it goes sticky very quickly, I wouldn’t recommend it for anal as it is drying up too quickly or is just a poor lube).

For a first time, I would probably say if the plugs are bigger than about 2 fingers, you might want to wait and get some thicker lube. If smaller, then it is up to you. Just take it slow and if you feel any discomfort, stop and wait to try again once you have thicker lube. (If you feel pain, stop. That’s not the lube that’s likely to be you tensing up). If you’d feel more comfortable waiting for thicker lube, then definitely wait.

We used the normal LH lube (Enjoy) for a while even with anal toys. They were the smaller ones (plugs <4 inch circumfrence) and when anal play became a bigger part of our sex life, then we switched to Discover.

If using the enjoy, you may need a little more than the discover, and you may need to reapply it, but it is perfectly adequate and safe to use.