Anal lubricant vs "normal"

Hi all. Quick one this, I'm looking at getting a bit more adventurous with some anal play as part of masturbating (not the wife's cup if tea so not pushing it on her) and noticed there are specific anal lubes available. Are these any different to standard lubes? We use the ID Glide usually which seems super slippery, so wondered what the benefit of a specifically labelled anal lube would be...

The difference is that anal lube tends to be thicker so it provides more comfort with its glide and it also tends to last a little bit longer than regular water based lubes in our experience :)

Oh ok, thanks. So would it also be better for general use or is it a bit too thick for that?

I have one with a slight anaelgesic in it, which i don't use often but can really help when moving up sizes or for a really bulbous head, but you don't want to mix it up with any other lubricant. Also I find lots of anal lube if you want to glide in and out, but don't overdo it if you want to keep a butt plug in . Good luck and have fun exploring

Personally water based lube has proven fine for myself and my wife. Have never tried for a prolonged period of time and have always used plenty of it. Honestly, I'd suggest starting out with what you have, and then if required buy a specific lube. Our toy collection is big enough, I can't imagine starting a lube collection as well

I’ve been wondering the same x so far we’ve been ok with water based live but it’s been basically plugs or a fairly slim glass dildo. Not husband or girthy dildos. Do wonder if it’s worth moving to an anal for those.

Happyhubby23 wrote:

Personally water based lube has proven fine for myself and my wife. Have never tried for a prolonged period of time and have always used plenty of it. Honestly, I'd suggest starting out with what you have, and then if required buy a specific lube. Our toy collection is big enough, I can't imagine starting a lube collection as well

I have a lube collection and it's definitely worth it. Each one adds that little something different. 🙂

I used both for having anal sex and I couldn’t really notice much difference I’ll be honest. I know anal lube is supposedly thicker but I really didn’t notice much difference. Both are fine to use. I’ve bouhht the anal lube anyway so I’ll use it but so long as you keep re applying then you’ll be fine which ever you use. For my butt plugs and glass dildos the normal lube works fine. It does for anal sex too but from what you’ve said it’ll be mainly for foreplay so normal would be fine to use.

Some anal lubes also have a numbing agent and relaxing properties so it allows you to take something slightly larger without too much discomfort. As for general use a water based lube is fine but if your looking to really go to town on your butt then I would go for an anal lube. I know water based isn’t great for anal when using toys if it’s quite a pourous material as it dries up quicker. I found the anal lubes are more of a thick gel/cream consistency and last for ages.

We use 'spunk' which is made for anal, thick and looks like cum as well, to add to the fun. Ours is in a large pump-action bottle which we have by the bed when we have others around for play. It's fine for vaginal too, good with or without condoms.