Anal toy smell

I've used my anal plug a few times now and it is amazing, but what isn't is the smell... now it's not the 'new toy' smell I'm on about, it basically smells like butt and all that lovely (sarcasm) stuff all the time, even after vigorously washing it with the toy cleaner a few times...
it's made of skin safe rubber (it's a rigid toy) and I just don't know how to cover the smell as I don't want to use scented hand wash because I'm worried it'll irritate me if I use the toy afterwards... and it's awkward if using it with my boyfriend...
has anyone got any tips of getting rid of the smell?

Not sure if you can get rid of it. Usually, people say it fades a bit with time. But personally, I can't stand it - at all! So I returned some toys to LH before due to this only!

The last one I reviewed was http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=28501

It did have some chemical smell in the beginning but nothing like the doc johnson plugs I had that smelled like butt (ew). Now the smell faded substantially and I can barely feel it. But it is definitely not like butt!

I will soon (perhaps, even today, if I find the means to?) order some more LH branded plugs and see how will they be. (silicone ones!)

Try hand sanitiser

Wash the toy with fairy liquid then hand sanitiser then wash again with fairy liquid

Unfortunately this is due to rubber being porus. I use silicone toys as you don't get this issue with them. Silicone is odour free and skin safe. I have a number of silicone anal toys and they all wash up like brand new every time. Hope this helps :) xx

I'm pretty sure that 'skin-safe rubber' is still slightly porous. This means that it'll absorb some of the bacteria from your butt and even with toy cleaner, it won't come out.

The safest and best toys to use are silicone, glass, metal, ceramic, or any other non-porous material! I understand these can be pricier than the jelly or rubber, but they last longer and clean up perfectly.

Also, are you using a douche before you use the plug? It helps to make sure you're squeaky clean down there as it'll minimise the smell of the plug afterwards.

Scorpius, I have had silicone toys that smell bad. But still, yes - silicone should be less smelly than other materials.

We have this http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29001

it says its silicone but when i first opened it, it had a weird smell. It wasnt a rubbery smell but a checmically smell. When it was clean, and airing the smell faded until it was used!

then it developed another smell after use. Without being graphic it didnt smell at all like bum, but more of a subtle chemical smell when you smelt it up close.

We found the only way to get rid if it was to wash with antibacterial handwash (as we do with all toys) but then wash it with shower gel as well. Then spray with toy cleaner.

Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, but you could use condoms to prevent this happening in future

Queenbutt, been thinking the same thing all week. We have the same thing with a couple of our porous silicon plugs. The smell is quite disgusting, and if you give it a sniff it seems to stay in your nose for hours. Happened to me 2 days ago. Urghhhh. Sorry, gross! Been cleaning and washing thorough to try and get rid of the smell. Not working. Considering ditching them and replacing with closest equivalent glass or metal ones.

This is why I only buy silicone or other none porous materials from now on :)

Scorpius12 wrote:

Unfortunately this is due to rubber being porus. I use silicone toys as you don't get this issue with them. Silicone is odour free and skin safe. I have a number of silicone anal toys and they all wash up like brand new every time. Hope this helps :) xx

Same for me. I clean them thoroughly after every use with both soap and toy cleaner and they don't smell at all.

I could suggest trying to get the bad smell away with a little bit of watered down lemon juice. Citric acid takes out pretty much every bad smell I know (even the bad smell of trash from the garbage bin) and if you water it down a little bit, let's say 1 part of lemon juice and two parts of water, it shouldn't ruin the toy as the pH get slightly less acidic. Silicone is really low on the scale of chemical reactivity, it's a very stable polymer so it shouldn't really be a problem, but sometimes the dyes can be damaged by acids, so if you don't want to ruin the color of your toy, I think watering the lemon juice down should do.
Remember to rinse it very well though after you clean it though.

I have the FSOG sex toy cleaner and it is great - especially for this issue. Highly recommend it

Dishwasher, soak in anti bacterial soap solution like "carex" soak in Milton type product?, my toys are mostly PVC so has less of an issue, there's always glass toys, no issues there, wear rubber gloves so that when you do wash them, the water can be much hotter, this helps a lot.

JM88 wrote:

We have this http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29001

it says its silicone but when i first opened it, it had a weird smell. It wasnt a rubbery smell but a checmically smell. When it was clean, and airing the smell faded until it was used!

then it developed another smell after use. Without being graphic it didnt smell at all like bum, but more of a subtle chemical smell when you smelt it up close.

We found the only way to get rid if it was to wash with antibacterial handwash (as we do with all toys) but then wash it with shower gel as well. Then spray with toy cleaner.

Thats strange JM88 I have the same toy and I have never experienced anything like that. :S

As for the stange smell, I agree with Scorps. Personaly I would just buy a new toy rather then let it get worse. x

My advice would be to switch to silicone toys (which are non-porous) and if you have the same issues with those you can clean with a 10% bleach solution or even boil them and that will sort it out!

Someone also posted the other day that cleaning with a vinegar solution works well. I've also used bicarbonate of soda to get smells out of my Mooncup and that worked fine too.

I have a few silicone toys now but I can't get my head around using bleach/boiling water to clean them. I worry incase they get damaged somehow. :/

LilHorror wrote:

I have a few silicone toys now but I can't get my head around using bleach/boiling water to clean them. I worry incase they get damaged somehow. :/

Boiling is completely safe. The boiling point of silicone is really really high (silicone oil boils at around 300°, silicone elastomer has a higher BP if I'm not mistaken) . Not enough to cause damage at water boiling point (100°).

A 10% bleach solution shouldn't do much damage to the silicone per se, being so chemically stable, what I'm worried about are dyes, those are much more sensitive to bleach.

rubber can be pourus so i would take this into considderation when puchasing toys as rubber can leak toxic chemicals which can be causing the smell i do reccomend sillicone or metal toys for butt plugs though