Anxiety about washing waterproof toys in water

I own some sex toys and I usually wipe the electronic ones with toy cleaner wipes and that’s it. With toys like my dildos, I wipe them and also use the spray toy cleaner with them in water. Most of the electronic ones I have are waterproof BUT I’m still scared to wash them in the water because in my head electronic near water equals bad. Can anyone give me any tips of how to get over this as I want to clean my toys better? I get quite nervous about stuff like this as some people may know as I post quite a bit asking about different topics. I just don’t want to risk losing money by breaking something or buying something I’ll regret. This is 100% serious.

Ok. Basically, if it says “submersible” then it is water proof (In the same way a waterproof watch would be) and desighned for use in the shower/bath/etc so water tight.
“Splash proof” means its not as waterproof so you need to be more careful, dont submerge these ones, but you can get them wet within reason. (I usually soap up my hands, give them a clean, then rinse them off carefully)

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I clean all mine with water and toy cleaner spray. Some electronic toys will be advertised as splash proof or submersible (waterproof). No issues with anything so far. I don’t tend to submerse them even if I can. I just spray cleaner on, lather it in with wet hands and then rinse it under the tap. When it’s only splash proof, I’ll try to avoid any charge ports or at least not drown them.

4 Likes

If the toy says it’s submersible, then it is fine to do just that. If it says splash proof then you need to be a little more careful. It will be fine rinsing it under a tap though. In the unlikely events that in either case they do break, that’s the manufacturer’s fault so you can claim on the warranty.

If it helps with your anxiety at all, remember sex toys on the whole are designed to be used in wet areas, be that from bodily fluids or lubricant so a brief rinse under the tap shouldn’t cause most of the a problem as long as you are careful with it. (There are some exceptions like mains powered wands where fluid can get in under the head but they are never advertised as any degree of waterproof).

I generally wash my toys by wetting them with a gentle/moderate stream from the tap, lather with a liquid soap and then rinse off under the tap. I’ve only got a few toys that this isn’t enough for and they will get fully submerged (or if I’m cleaning a few at a time I may submerge them together while I clean them individually).

4 Likes

What about wet wipes?

Yeah I use sex toy cleaning wipes which are similar to wet wipes but I feel like I need to clean them more.

2 Likes

Ah I’m the same! I always clean mine then rinse under the tap, but always have that niggling thought of it causing it to break. So far no breakages and it’s been a long time :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I literally just use soap and hot water to clean our toys after a session. All of ours are advertised as waterproof (usable in bath etc) so I’ve never worried…soaped them up and rinsed under hot water - the left to dry!

I’ve not had any issues at all. If I had a battery powered toy with a screw off battery compartment
I might employ a bit more care!

It does make me wonder why it’s always me that does the clean up of the toys (probably because the wife is usually a soft post orgasmic mess after any toy sessions).

The only issue I’ve ever had was with a non-silicone dildo that I hadn’t left to dry properly…it grew internal black mouldy spots…my fault…but LH replaced it for me even after pointing out my errror!

I wash with Lovehoney’s toy cleaner - spray my hands, wet them then lather up and caress them lovingly :wink:

Then I rinse and dry them with an old (clean) baby muslin. I leave them to air dry then spray them with Pjur Med cleansing spray (fab stuff, great for bodies, too), rub it all over, especially any nooks and crannies and leave to dry.

As everyone has said, if a toy is sold as waterproof or submersible it’ll be fine (as long as you don’t wash it at the bottom of the deep end of a swimming pool!).

Splash-proof take a little more care around charging ports etc. With these, I use toy wipes then spray the Pjur Med onto a dry muslin and wipe around.

I used to be nervous doing it but they get used a lot so now it’s just like washing dishes but with fond memories.

I have a wand vibrator that I use on myself, and after I’ve finished with it I always run just the head of it under the tap and then spray some sex toy cleaner on it and rub it with my hands and then a quick rinse off.
I also have a prostate massager and clean that the same way except the handle tends to get covered in lube so I use only sex toy cleaner on that.
Although it can be used in water I prefer not to get it too wet