Anyone else suffer from reoccurring thrush? Possible TMI, sorry!

Happy Saturday all!

Ok, so for the past 4 or so months, I have been having thrush that keeps coming back. I know it's very common in women and it could just be one of those things, but I don't think this is on this case. I visited a walk in centre back in August after normal thrush cream wouldn't touch it, and didn't even have an examination and was perscribed a pessary and more cream. Things went away in a couple of days.

Then it came back again. I took the thrush tablet, cream, pessary, and even got my OH then to start using the cream and to take a pill. Things cleared up ok in time.

Last week I felt I had it again. I used the cream and had no joy, so I visited the doctors last night. No examination. My partner came with me and was told that thrush is not something that can be passed back and forth, and he would be showing symptoms of it if he had got it (which I'm sure is NOT the case). I have been perscribed Fluconazole to take 3 every days for 3 times, and then take it for once a week there after. I took it about this time last night and now I am starting to feel very very run down. My lower back is achy, my skin feels sore, I've got a headache, and generally feel as though I am coming down with something, feeling sick, as well as having the itchyist flippin fanny in the country. I am so done with all of this now. I've got to make an appointment now to have some swabs done with the nurse, and see what comes back of that. I just went to the loo and now have a slightly yellow thick discharge, I have no idea what is going on. I'm also going for a blood test this week to see hormone levels and also to see about the possiblity of being diabetic.

I know my mum and all the women on my side of the family have always suffered badly from thrush, I don't know if it is my pill that's causing a hormonal imbalance, if it is stress related as I've been through a nasty disaplinary and then ended up being made redundant, me and OH have had a pretty bad row this week which had us almost over (We are ok now thankfully).

Am I the only one? I don't think it is anything like an STI, as I'm 99.9% sure he wouldn't be unfaithful, and I certainly haven't been. I'm just feeling so rubbish about myself. I want to be having kinky sex on a saturday night with OH not sat on the sofa crying with my knuckles in my mouth to resist the urge to itch.

Hello,

few years ago, I suffered from 6 months of reoccuring nearly continuous thrush infection. I did see the gynecologist and I ended up taking antibiotics, as it was not just thrush (I had tests done before being put on antibiotics). What i found out back then was that I am sensitive to glycerine and parabens and well.. The lubes I used were triggering the inbalance and the infections. As soon as I recovered, it just took the lube and I was back in it. Now I am using YES! or Sliquid and I cannot say I had a bad one since. I might have one like year ago, but it was easily treated, but generally I am thrust infection free. So from my experience, try to consider all caused, however improbable. It took me a while to figure it out, but it was worth it.

Could it be something similar by chance? Based on comments here at LH, I am far from being the only woman with this proble. On the contrary, I heard numerous women on LH say the same story over my time here.

Thanks both!

I don't use anything scented to wash down there, just plain water. Nothing makes a difference. I've got some natural live yoghurt I'm going to start eating daily and also get some garlic capsules to see if that helps too.

Can't wear skirts for work but I'm always airing it when I can. Not getting periods anymore as pill as stopped them, haven't had one now for about 5 months.

Hey.

it is possible ur OH is carrier and shows no symptoms at all... have u tried condoms after being clear? that way u can rule out if it is or isn't him passing it over... diet can contribue to it too. antibiotics can cause thrush too so try not to be taking to much of them. peeing straight after sex can help too,as well as upping the amount of water you drink. there is so many factors that an cause it.

also have you been checked for bacterial vaginosis as that can have similar symptoms

Hiya, high blood sugars (pre diabetes/diabetes) can give you recurrent thrush and skin infections. A low gi diet/small portions helped lower my sugars. Thrush is also very stress related as well as all the other stuff posted. I agree with the garlic supplements as well as a time release vitamin c to help your body deal with the stress its under. Hope you feel better soon!

Always! I hate them!!! So they put me on very low dose antibiotic, one every night and I've been clear for about 6 mth now! You're supposed to only be on them for about 3 mths at a time, but you can have them longer without a break so soon!

I used to get it regularly just after my period. It's reading this realising the lifestyle changes I've made have contributed to the problem resolving. Doing things like eating more natural yoghurt, less bread and wholemeal when I do eat it, wearing skirts and letting myself breath at night time.
It's amazing how a few minor adjustment's have helped as I've not experienced thrush for around 4 months now so, hopefully problem solved. I hope you get to kick it hun xxx

Me and my wife have been suffering with this for past 6 months.It starts with neither of us being itchy and fine after we have used creams or tablets from last bout.

We then are fine no itctching etc and then it seems if we have sex soon after my wife has finished her period.I come out with thrush and then she seems to aswell.

Obviously if we dont have sex and have been treated from last time we are both fine.We think it may be her pill causing the trouble and may have to explore condoms again but it wont solve the issue for us we both would prefer to not use condoms.

Its becoming a nightmare and strain on oursexlife somewhat knowing that we in for some greif after sex each time.And keep taking fluczonale to clear after its occuref

Agree with an earlier post in this thread. Get your sugar levels tested as it could be diabetes related. Mine was.

When an ex of mine had it we were told that I could be a carrier so we both had to use creams for about a month. Symptoms on her disappeared quickly ( I wasn't showing symptoms) but still continued with the cream for the month or so as advised

Also this meant no sexual contact at all with each other for the month.

As others have said, just be careful your partner isn't giving it back each time! Not sure why you were advised that this doesn't happen?!

Just Jenson wrote:

When an ex of mine had it we were told that I could be a carrier so we both had to use creams for about a month. Symptoms on her disappeared quickly ( I wasn't showing symptoms) but still continued with the cream for the month or so as advised

As others have said, just be careful your partner isn't giving it back each time! Not sure why you were advised that this doesn't happen?!

Exactly! I think we are both passing it back between eachother. He is now convinced and doesn't believe me that he could be reinfecting me as the doctor said that couldn't happen. No matter what I say, OH will not use any cream now or use any medication as he doesn't show any symptoms. FFS!!!!

Just Jenson wrote:

+1 - Your partner totally needs to be treated too. If he is adamant that he won't do it, maybe get him to read this thread? I also second what LSB has said with regards to diet/too many antibiotics etc. If you do need antibiotics, always try to eat some live yoghurt at the same time to help replace your natural good bacteria. There are so many factors involved here - I really hope you get things sorted soon hun xx

I do eat tonnes of yoghurt, but I'm just one of these people that get it. So the very low dose antibiotics ar my only solution right now. I've had bladder prolapse down there in the past too, so they think I'm a little sensitive. Plus they would like that area of my body to stay as sterile as possible for that very reason!

I hope you nail it, I know how frustrating it can be xx

As a male I do now have sympathy for you ladies sufferring with thrush, my wife has had it a few times, and I just thought with a bit of cream it clears, no biggy, that was until a few months ago when I started to get splits on my foreskin, at first as a typical male I just ignored it thinking it would just clear up, but it got worse, in the end the wife book me an appointment with the gp, she thought she had set me up by booking a female doctor, however I was actually relieved and felt more comfortable with a female doctor, even though I had to be examined, anyway I presented my self to the doctor looking like id had sex with a cheese grater, and she diagnosed it to be thrush, so was prescribed a weeks worth of pills, and a couple of tubees of cream, I was also advised for the wife to be treated, as she has had thrush in the past, as one of us could be a carrier, and to stop us passing it back and forth, the gp also advised that if either of us suffer thrush in future, that cannnistan cream comes in different strengths, so get the strongest, and treat both of us for at least two weeks, because if you only use the cream for a few days, your only going to cure the symptoms and not the cause, thankfully it cleared up within a couple of days, and even though it has reoccurred since I was able to treat it before I reach the cheese grater stage, at the moment its not a major problem for me, but if we do continue to suffer in future, then maybe we should look into some of the reasons above, as the splits have left scars, and I don't want scar tissue causing other problems in future.

That's great hearing this form a male's perspective. That sounds like your penis went through hell!! ouch! I think it's a man thing! they do leave things like this and hope that it goes away by itself.

I can get it regularly, but I'm diabetic, if I've not been taking my meds, you can guarantee I get it. First sign of symptoms and I treat it, it's an awful thing to put up with.

I can get it regularly, but I'm diabetic, if I've not been taking my meds, you can guarantee I get it. First sign of symptoms and I treat it, it's an awful thing to put up with.

Ok so I've figured perhaps I haven't been using the cream for a proper length of time? I've used it in the past for maybe 4 days and the symptoms clear up, but didn't continue with it afterwards, or even apply it often enough (maybe 2x or 3x at most when I think in reality it should be after a pee as well throughout the day)
So now this war against thrush. I'm going to make OH use cream, I've been out and got some more cream, and a pessary to use in combination with the tablets perscribed by doc, I'm live yoghurt now and will be ordering some
Garlic capsules tonight. Any recommendations? Thanks for all your support, and great to see it from a man's perspective too. Will be showing this thread to my man tonight and see how it goes.
Thanks all
Xx

sugarboobies2232 wrote:

Ok so I've figured perhaps I haven't been using the cream for a proper length of time? I've used it in the past for maybe 4 days and the symptoms clear up, but didn't continue with it afterwards, or even apply it often enough (maybe 2x or 3x at most when I think in reality it should be after a pee as well throughout the day)
So now this war against thrush. I'm going to make OH use cream, I've been out and got some more cream, and a pessary to use in combination with the tablets perscribed by doc, I'm live yoghurt now and will be ordering some
Garlic capsules tonight. Any recommendations? Thanks for all your support, and great to see it from a man's perspective too. Will be showing this thread to my man tonight and see how it goes.
Thanks all
Xx

Advice on the garlic capsules you mean?? It doesn't matter which brand etc, just get them huni. I'm grateful too to see a guys point of view. You're more than welcome, I hate thrush with a passion!!! xx

sugarboobies2232 wrote:

Thanks all
Xx

Healthspan are very good for supplements as they very good quality, or Boots, both of which you can order online. With Boots, you can order to any store, and then go and collect them xx