Anyone got any experience with probiotics?

Hi!

I’ve noticed that after unprotected sex, my vagina can have a slight smell to it. It doesn’t last too long, but it’s not ideal.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using probiotics? I’ve heard people use them to try and prevent any bacterial infections, and I feel this could be a good idea to try out if there’s anyone who feels they have benefitted.

Thank you!

I am susceptible to thrush and probiotics are really helpful in keeping that at bay as long as you drink them regularly. Its definitely worth a try.

1 Like

There really isn’t enough research to back up whether probiotics will help prevent bacterial infections.

Ideally you do need to find out what the actual cause of the smell is before trying to prevent it. It could be thrush or bacterial vaginosis, but it may be something else entirely. It is worth contacting your local sexual health clinic for a full STI screen if you haven’t had one recently and to discuss the issue with them. Your GP would be another option but I’d suggest the sexual health clinic first.

6 Likes

My wife once used those little yogurt drink things but could only fit one bottle in :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry couldn’t resist

5 Likes

Thanks @Mrs.John glad someone seen my humour there :man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’m still a little fuzzy on muff care, but Mrs Chimp has been using an intimate wash for the first time these last few months, and she says that has helped her stay fresher for longer. She was a ‘water-only’ adherent before that.

Not sure if it’s helpful in this case, but thought I’d throw it out there. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

(I am also interested in muff washing routines if anyone can sneak that into their responses :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

You know you make me laugh!!@

2 Likes

@Chosen-one @Mrs.John maybe carry on the chat in The Lounge? :slight_smile:

@BluePup no experience with Probiotics really, I’ve occasionally taken the ones for good tummy bacteria but always end up forgetting :joy:

3 Likes

I drink those little yoghurt drinks for a week or so after a course of antibiotics, just for natural balance. I need quite frequent courses of antibiotics and they often result in thrush so I always ask for a Canesten pessary prescription at the same time. You can buy the pessaries over the counter if you think thrush might be the issue.

Linking seamlessly with @Ian_Chimp’s interest in intimate washing, using a gentle intimate wash is much better than any scented shower gels or soaps. I use them all over, as I find most shower gels, soaps etc actually increase body odour over time. But never squirt anything into your vagina - these are all for external use. Vaginas maintain their own balance and health quite naturally.

Washing with something like this straight after sex may also help as it is anti-bacterial. Unfortunately the new formula now contains perfume, but you may be able to find something similar. The Sliquid Intimate Toy Cleaner was great for body use too, but Lovehoney don’t stock it any more.

Great advice from @Calie - that would be a good starting point and I’d suggest that your partner does the same?

3 Likes

@Calie thank you for the recommendation! My partner and I are both tested and everything is negative. We’re only sexually active with one another too, but your recommendation is very much appreciated :slight_smile: I just find it to be right after sex. It’s not too much of a ‘nasty’ smell, but it’s not ridiculously pleasant either haha. I think it’s ultimately down to the interaction between his cum and my vaginal fluids? But if the issue gets worse I’ll be sure to talk with a professional.

@Ian_Chimp I’m most certainly interested in looking into some intimate wash for straight after sex. It could be good to add into my routine. I usually give myself a rinse off which does the trick, but a wash could definitely come in handy to do a full clean. Just externally though, of course.

@MsR I’ve added it to my basket for when I’m paid :smiley: I definitely think it could be worth it to try out. I’m usually okay at not reacting to scented products, so I’ll just watch myself and ensure everything is as it should be.

Thank you all for the help! It’s much appreciated. I ultimately think it’s down to it being immediately after sex, but I’ll keep an eye on things and if any issues persist and get worse, I’ll get in contact with a professional :slight_smile:

Sorry and thanks @Lovehoney_Brenna Back on topic I take a probiotic pill twice a week for IBS type symptoms. But agree with @Calie I’d get a doctor’s opinion x

2 Likes

It isn’t strongly scented - I’m fine with it and I have to be careful with a lot of products. I have reviewed it, if that is helpful.
It was recommended by @VR, who may be interested in this topic so let’s see if she gets the notification.
Good luck!

1 Like

@MsR I’ve read your review and it’s helpful! I think l give it a try and see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that a part of what could be causing the difference in smell is that I’ve not been on the contraceptive patch for very long. As it isn’t a ‘bad’ smell, rather just a change that I notice more after sex, I feel it could be down to the change in hormones and introducing new ones to my system. I’ve had unprotected sex with the same partner prior to being on contraception, but never noticed this change, so I think it could be related. I’ll just see how things are though, but it all lines up pretty similarly!

I’ve always had a ‘smell’ after a deposit has been made in my bank. I’ve always considered it a natural body chemistry thing I have.

I’ve had unprotected sex with two partners and they’ve both differed slightly. My ex left a very fishy whiff but my current partner is a lot milder. I also have a semen allergy which was far, far worse with my ex.

Over the years I’ve suffered many UTIs (I wasn’t emptying my bladder properly) so had many courses of antibiotics as I tend to get kidney infections if I don’t do something quickly. I’m very familiar with thrush as I almost always end up with a dose after antibiotics so I know the whiff is not related to thrush.

I’ve also had BV five times in the past 30 years. Now, that’s an unmistakable smell! The after-sex whiff is nothing like BV. Nothing is like BV! There seems to be no particular trigger for BV for me.

I eat a healthy gut diet and take probiotics and prebiotics but this doesn’t stop me getting thrush. However, I now know my triggers and unprotected sex isn’t one. The dreaded antibiotics are one and tampons are another. I’ve managed to prevent the tampon-related cases by smearing them with lube before insertion. This has been very helpful for me as my flow is unpredictable so I may end up stopping mid-period for several hours which would have allowed my tampon to dry out if I hadn’t used lube first.

I also manage BV myself by curling my finger inside my and pulling the discharge out then wiping my finger in loo roll and flushing it away (as fast as possible!). This cuts the time I have it to a few days. I have friends that have tried other remedies from the GP of pharmacy but theirs lasts a lot longer. The first time I had it I think it lasted about a week then went on its own.

I worked for a while in a GUM clinic and most of the doctors there feel that BV isjust one of those things that’s best left to the course of nature though the two lady doctors I talked to about it thought my ‘method’ of clearing a great idea and subsequently tried it themselves. They also started recommending lubing tampons to women with repeat thrush infections.

Working at the GUM clinic also gave me the opportunity to get tested whenever I needed it so I know the after-sex whiff isn’t caused by an infection. I wish I’d thought to ask about it now.

Honestly, @BluePup, I don’t think you have a problem. I think it’s just a case of your body chemistry reacting with his semen, especially as you’ve been tested. If you really hate it you could either try a different lube (assuming you use one) or use something like Pjur Med’s Cleanser spray (sold here). I use it to help prevent UTIs and combined with double-voiding my bladder I’ve cut my UTIs from 12-14 a year to once every 2-3 years. You could also try the finger curling removal method to get the semen out quicker but I’ve never tried this myself.

Despite my history, I’ve never had a problem with shower gels or soaps triggering anything (though I haven’t used a bar soap in the shower for years). I know the clinic would recommend washing in plain water or using aqueous cream to wash with but one of the GPs - a farmer’s daughter - was a huge fan of Gold Label Udder cream for any undercarriage issues. Since getting a bit sore after menopause I will admit to trying it and finding it fab for both washing with and moisturising the area but if you’re a bit reluctant to try this I’d suggest the Megs Menopause wash and moisturiser (sold here), though I’ve not tried it (yet). I’ve tried the water-based lube, though and found that fab.

Good luck and try not to stress. If you don’t get a whiff when you use a condom I’d pretty much bet my toy collection that getting a whiff when you don’t use one is just your body chemistry.

5 Likes

Mrs Chimp has nothing but good stuff to say about it. :+1: She got it about 11/12 weeks ago, and she says she’s really noticed a difference. She is more the target market of menopausal/perimenopausal, so I’m not sure if that makes a difference? And it lasts well too. :+1: Two pumps a day for about 11 ish weeks, and there’s still about a third left. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Ian_Chimp I did actually buy it last week but have forgotten to use it. I got the oil-based lube, too, but haven’t tried that either. I’ll give both a go on the weekend. I must admit it looks a lot prettier than a whopping great tub of udder cream :grin:

2 Likes

@VR I completely agree! I don’t notice it after using protection or when using toys, so I think it’s simply down to this. It’s comforting to hear others experience similar things. I never had an STI, thrush or UTIs etc (knock on wood!), so I feel okay? I have no discomfort or anything so I feel it’s ultimately just the two things interacting! I always shudder pull out as much of his semen I can straight after sex and then urinate, and usually once I have a clean in the bath or shower any sign of a smell simply goes away.