Baby oil, safe to use

I'm about to buy one of thesehttps://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=37969 and normally we use oil for lube as we have no need for condoms and was just wondering if baby oil would be safe to use with normal anal play and this toy especially

With most-If not all-Toys it is recommended using a water based lube to protect the toy. LH do sell a lube especially for anal play https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex/lubricants/anal-lubes/

That said some one else maybe able to advice you better regarding the usage of baby oil.

I have this toy and it is made from silicone so, to be on the safe side, I would advise that you use a water based lubricant rather than oil. I would also recommend that you use a specific anal lubricant. They tend to be thicker than normal lubes.

I use this one.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=35809

If you intend to keep the toy in for a long time you may need to re-lubricate it as water based lubes tend to dry out over time.

I myself have never had a problem with baby oil 💦💦

We used oil when we first tried anal, with no problems, although we now use water-based lube.

We started with water based, moved to anal lubes and then on to baby oil some years ago.

That said I generally use water based when I am using a prostate massager on my own because it doesn't go everywhere - easy to clean up afterwards.

Never had any problem with baby oil and a variety of silicon based toys.

We've used coconut oil in the past instead of baby oil. It's non toxic and tastes pretty good as well. However, because it is an oil it will interact with any toy that is a silicone/rubber material. For short term use, it's not a big problem, but if the oil is left on the toy for longer that say 30 minutes, you greatly increase the risk of damaging the toy.

We use coconut oil for pretty much all external play because it doesn't interfere with any kind of oral.

For anal I haven't tried baby oil specifically, but after a few different experiments nothing beats built for purpose anal lube.

I think oil lube is safe with silicone toys. Isn't it much the same as using a silicone kitchen utensil with cooking oils? It will break down condoms though, so don't mix those together. And it's not great with plastic, so if your toy is mostly silicone but has a plastic handle/buttons then you may want to stick with a water-based lube.

If in doubt you can do a little patch test on an unimportant section to make sure (or stick with a water-based lube to be extra sure 🙂).

Ian Chimp wrote:

I think oil lube is safe with silicone toys. Isn't it much the same as using a silicone kitchen utensil with cooking oils? It will break down condoms though, so don't mix those together. And it's not great with plastic, so if your toy is mostly silicone but has a plastic handle/buttons then you may want to stick with a water-based lube.

If in doubt you can do a little patch test on an unimportant section to make sure (or stick with a water-based lube to be extra sure 🙂).

So because of the chemical composition of silicone, oil can degrade it over time. It's not an immediate effect as the oil has to actually penetrate into the silicone and it ends up dissolving it. Before researching it, my wife and I actually had an encounter where we had used oil based lube and passed out after coitus. When we finally got to cleaning up everything the next day, we had discovered the dildo we used showed signs of damage similar to melted rubber.

With condoms, they are so thin that the oil easily penetrates it and starts to dissolve it right away.

Ms. D wrote:

So because of the chemical composition of silicone, oil can degrade it over time. It's not an immediate effect as the oil has to actually penetrate into the silicone and it ends up dissolving it. Before researching it, my wife and I actually had an encounter where we had used oil based lube and passed out after coitus. When we finally got to cleaning up everything the next day, we had discovered the dildo we used showed signs of damage similar to melted rubber.

With condoms, they are so thin that the oil easily penetrates it and starts to dissolve it right away.

I think it's more likely that your silicone dildo wasn't completely silicone. 🙂 And condoms are generally latex, not silicone, which is why oil-based lubes will eat through them. 👍

That's a good point. DIfferent types of elastomers and I definitely mistyped when I said silicone condom. Good catch.

There ia a lot of conflicting information on what lubes can be used with what. If anyone is worried at all then water-based lube is a safe bet with everything. 👍 I'm pretty sure that oil-based lubes are fine to use with silicone toys as long as the silicone is premium quality (though I'd always recommend a patch test on an unimportant section if you want to be sure). I think even silicone lube is fine to use with silicone toys as long as both are good quality (pjur even say something to that effect in their FAQs).

Baby oil is frowned upon for health reasons rather than its toy destruction capabilities (apparently a study has shown that it's more likely to caue BV and yeast infections), so I'd avoid popping that in a vagina. Not sure about anal, but I reckon a proper anal lube is going to be better.

Bit off-topic, sorry, but I never get why silicone toys are safe to store together but we shouldn't use silicone lube on silicone toys? Doesn't seem to make sense, but I haven't looked into it.

I have some Lovehoney silicone lube which is great but we never reach for it in case we want to use a bullet etc.

However, I can recommend the Sliquid Natural Gel as an excellent water-based lube which is also thicker than usual, so suitable for different kinds of play, all toys and the b*stard menopause.

:-)

Used a lot of baby oil in the past but changed to "cream" after I menopaused. Never have problem with my toys with baby oil.

Think it all boils down to maintenance. If you don't have the time best to use those that are available from LH.

Coconut oil is great..not only for the toys but also for a good long sensual massage as well