Best lube for silicone toys

What lubes would you lot recommend for silicone toys? I find the water based ones tend to dry up quite quickly, and this is for anal fun

2 Likes

I have the discovery lube from LH. It’s water based and as it’s for anal it doesn’t dry up quickly.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check it out

1 Like

There are two different lubricants that I really like. Both are water-based, one is for anal. Very slick and doesn’t dry quickly. It also lasts long.

Titles and links:

Lovehoney Discover Water-Based Anal Lubricant 8.5 fl oz

Lovehoney Enjoy Water-Based Lubricant 8.5 fl oz

We have the enjoy one, and I find with silicone toys is dried out quicker than I’d like

Liquid silk is a good option if you’re not sensitive to many lube ingredients, lasts for a long time and you only need a small amount, otherwise Lovehoney Discover Water-Based Anal Lubricant is also a good option

3 Likes

Liquid silk would get my vote.

2 Likes

We are in the same camp as @Deanna32. We use Lovehoney Discover for everything and can’t recommend it more. We have also used the Sliquid product, and we liked it fine, but we keep going back to Discover.

1 Like

+1 for LH Discover. Designed for anal but a brilliant all-round water based lubricant .

1 Like

I find oil based is a good bet for silicone toys as long as condoms aren‘t in play.
Perhaps this Yes oil-based lube?
Oil tends to be longer lasting than water based and less of a worry with degrading silicone toys.

2 Likes

We’ll discover seems to be getting the most hits, so that will be added to my next order, thank you all for your input

Oil-based lube tends to include skin-softening ingredients, like aloe vera, vitamin E and almond oil, which makes it excellent for solo external play. It’s not recommended to use oil-based lube internally (so not in the vagina or anus), and you shouldn’t use it with condoms either. Sex toy-wise, oil-based lube is only compatible with toys made of glass or metal.

:warning: Just wanted to pop in what the Lovehoney lube guide says for oil lube!! It also mentions that silicone lube should not be used with silicone sex toys.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting this @PKH. Good call. As a rule, oils are not for internal use!

It‘s left me confused about this product though. Lovehoney’s product description and lube advice guides point to using this externally.
But if the manufacturer’s own marketing is to be believed, this Yes OB product seems to be perhaps an exception in the world of oil-based products in that they confidently describe it as:

• Dual purpose intimate lubricant and massage oil
  • Safe for use with silicone toys
  • Hypoallergenic: formulated to minimise the risk of allergies
  • Richly nourishing, providing soothing relief
  • Gynaecologist recommended

Maybe it‘s more of a hybrid product with small quantities of body safe oils or something? I wonder now if this is actually safe for vaginal & anal use?! Or is it just a nice massage product? :thinking:

Yes OB is 100% oils and nothing else so it isn’t a hybrid or anything.

Oil based lubes can be used internally, but like anything you need to do your research and know what works for you. This only applies to natural/plant based oils though. Anything like baby oil or Vaseline shouldn’t be used internally as they do have things in them that can irritate the skin. However, 100% natural oils shouldn’t cause any irritation (as long as you aren’t allergic to it).

The problem with oil is that is lingers in the body longer than water based lubes. This can cause bacterial problems in some people. It is more likely to be a problem with used vaginally, as some people are highly sensitive to disruption/changes. However, that doesn’t mean it won’t ever affect someone’s rectum. It’s all very individual.

In terms of toys, oil based lubricants generally can be used with silicone toys. Sometimes toys will have a coating that doesn’t like oil, so it is worth patch testing first. I know Fun Factory say no oil based lubes because it interferes with the buttons and the hard plastics they use. If a toy has a warranty, you might want to avoid oil based as it will potentially invalidate it.

The other reason many say don’t use oil with silicone is because there are dodgy companies out there that claim their toys are silicone when they aren’t. People were then using oil based lubes on them and the toys were getting damaged. People then assumed that oil and silicone didn’t mix. It was then just easier to advise people not to use oil based, then to try and explain that some companies are dodgy. (Even for reputable brand like Lovehoney where you can trust what they sell is made of what it is labelled as)

It’s worth noting with oil though that because it lingers, if you do use condoms or toys made of TPE/TPR/PVC etc, even if you don’t use the oil lube with them, there could still be oil inside you so they may still be affected and there is no data as to how long the oil does remain inside you so there isn’t an easy “wait so many hours” kind of thing.

6 Likes

Thanks @Calie.
Great answer! Super helpful :blush:

It truly bends my mind sometimes to pick the best lubes. Working out the best combination of toys/bodies/condoms can get complicated. So it’s great to have such a thorough answer.

Anal Play is a tricky one because we‘ve found even the best water-based lubes tend to ‘squeegee’ off whatever’s inserted. Lube shooters can get plenty of lube past the ‘gates’ at the entrance, but there can still be some friction at the entrance, so we’ve tended towards silicone and hybrid lube (depending on what’s being inserted) because they’re longer lasting and reduce the friction. We’ve also used the Yes OB recently with silicone toys and found it really good for anal play, but we’ve not tried this lube vaginally.

1 Like

I posted this in a different thread, but there is a oil based lube that I’ve been using that purports to be:

• 100% Plant Based Formula
  • 100% Safe for Men & Women
  • 100% Silicone Toy Safe
  • 100% Non-Toxic, Edible, Washable

I’ve used it with silicone and steel toys internally with no issues thus far to either the toys or my body.

Unfortunately LH doesn’t carry it (yet), so I guess I’ll go suggest it in the pandering thread.

I also use the LH Discovery gel and while it’s better than a different water-based lube that I have, I personally feel like it dries out a little too quickly for my own liking.

1 Like

I know what you mean :persevere: I’ve only been using metal and glass anally lately because no matter how much lube I used, the friction from using silicone anal toys hurt too much :sob: I really like using the sliquid silk hybrid lube anally, but the product page for that one says “not suitable for use with silicone toys” too :confused:

2 Likes

@PKH Sliquids hybrid has been fine with all the silicone toys i use. You’ll want to patch test, but ive never had an issue with it and its my go to lube for everything, anal included.
Hybrids can be very hit or miss and ive had some disagree with certain toys, but sliquids one seems to be the exception.

1 Like