Black spots appearing on realistic dildos

I have two dildos that I bought from Lovehoney.

My latest dildo was purchased 2 months ago and I recently noticed that there are a few black spots now, especially on the veins.

I normally clean my dildos with a toy cleaner spray, rinse with water, wipe dry with paper towel and store in a silk string bag.

I've had my other dildo for 3 years now and it had some black dots at one point but they have faded now.

I am concerned about the clean and safety condition of these dildos with the mysterious appearance and disappearance of dots. Are they moulding and should I toss them out?

Howdy passiongirl,

We had this happen once to several of toys before at different times and found that it was happening due to the different toy materials and different lubrecants (which had leaked in the bag - we now keep lubes in a ziplock bag & a seperate pocket). Being the geek that I am, I used them as tests because I was confused on how it was happening. I found it was interaction of lubes and 2 materials touching.

Given the nature of where the toys go, we opted not to use them because if the material is breaking down we did not want any chemical exposure or leeching to occur.

I am sure that is not the only way black marks/spots can occur, so it may not apply but I figured I would share and see if it helped.

~CB

What colour is your silk bag? are any of your other toys black and touching them ? I had a butt plug that had some marks but worked out it was when it was in the cupboard touching my black PVC and leather underware, if you have a dishwasher thats great for cleaning them, just don't let your mum round to empty it! If in doubt, chuck it out.

Black spots normally caused by mold imo. Yes I would toss them and I recommend buying a dido made from 100% premium silicone, which is virtually non-porous and so mold, bacteria, chemicals and other such things will not penetrate into the material. Tantus dildos are fab and although slightly more costly, definitely worth it in the long run as they can be boiled and sterilised and basically, should last a lifetime of infection free use!

Brands I trust to be 100% silicone include Tantus, Vixen, Fun Factory, BS-is-Nice, Fleshjack, Lelo.

Of course, you can also go for glass, metal or ABS plastic, even wood so long as it comes with a body safe coating (Nobessence are renowned for being fabulous)

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I use the purple Lovehoney silk pouch to store my dildos but sometimes they're immediately stored while silghtly damp after being paper towel wiped. I store all my toys in my closet so it's nice and cool. They are normally used with a condom to prevent bacterial contact with my genitals.

You're all probably right that I should toss them out or recycle them. It's safer this way even even though I really liked them.

On another note, I have all my flavoured and non-flavoured lubricated condoms in a plastic bag stored in the top drawer of my wooden night table. The back of the night table is directly below the window, which receives a lot of sunlight in the daytime. Although the drwaer is usually kept closed, should i be concerned about the condition of the condoms?

That is a difficult question to answer really. The life of a condom will depend on certain things, like how old it is and if it is stored correctly, but it is impossible to tell if yours are being damaged.

Follow the guidelines on the box, store in a cool dry place (I imagine it says) and stick within the use by dates. Follow the age old rule of "If in doubt, throw it out" when it comes to condoms.

I've had small black 'smudges' on my Doc Johnson dildos, but I know for sure it's down to the dildo left resting on the black harness. I use a sterilising cleaner after soap and water, so I don't expect any trouble, and I use a condom on it anyway.

We recently bought a couple of realistic dildos and silk pouches from Lovehoney and one of which hasn't been played with yet. Both were thoroughly washed, air dried and covered in talcum powder before being put into the new pouches, but the colour of the pouch has leeched into the dildo in places. I assume this is still safe to use once I wash it again before use?