Ceiling sex swing installation

As others have said, you definitely want to be using the joist and not the plasterboard.

I have often wondered about installing a swing but never wanted an eyehook left in the ceiling. I did laugh at the suggestion of having a smoke alarm hiding it, such a genuis idea. However, I don’t like the idea of laying in bed and looking at a fire alarm (we’ve already got a working one outside the bedroom).

I did hear one idea of putting a hanging basket on the hook when not in use. Creative but I suspect would also annoy me. Or block the view of the TV and annoy me :rofl:

If I want to hide it, we’ll probably do it with our pride flags or tapestries, honestly. Just out sticky back velcro on the ceiling and flag/tapestry and velcro the flag up when we want the hook hidden, pull it down when we want to use the swing :joy:

1 Like

You could hang a punchbag on it and leave a pair of boxing gloves nearby…

2 Likes

Hmmm Funnily enough :wink::joy: :boxing_glove:@Knottydevil

1 Like

This is definitely my next project. Never considered one until reading all the previous posts.

I’m turning a downstairs room into a gym and office room , so think this is ideal place to have the hook :hook:…. Plus putting mirrors on the wall for gym part :stuck_out_tongue:.

However not sure if possible with ensuring it’s secure :thinking: with being downstairs I will not be able to do it as if it was upstairs and go into the loft and ensure it’s all the way through joist…. So may have to do upstairs unless people have experience of just securing downstairs ?

1 Like

Hi @Daisy1982
Ours is upstairs amd screwed into the roof joist above our room and been solid with no flexing or roofs falling in.
I would not like to say on floorboad joists :grimacing: however if you were to proceed then could possibly lift the flooring above joists you plan to use and get some metal joist strengtheners for either side of the joist.

Again i am not advising you do this its off your own back if you pull your ceiling down :rofl:

If you purchase a swing hopefully we get some feedback from you :blush:

2 Likes

Just use some blu tac :slight_smile:

Ceiling joists in the downstairs (floor joists for the rooms above) are usually very strong to support the weight of people and furniture, while ceiling joists with lofts above can be quite flimsy.
Most floor joists will easily support a sex swing. The challenge is in creating a secure fixing to the timber joists

Having the diy skills and tools to hand, I’d be pretty confident fitting this, but if you’re unsure, a skilled builder or competent diy-er is always a bonus!

4 Likes

Just this, finding the center of the joist is the tricky part a stud finder and some small holes to work out where the edges are?

2 Likes