Ceiling sex swing installation

Hey people! I’m looking into getting a cheap ish sex swing as me and my partner are on a very tight budget. I did want the bondage boutique over-the-door swing but that’s out of stock right now and now I’m thinking of the freedom a ceiling mounted swing could give us. One concern though is how to install one. I’m currently looking at the “Bondage Boutique Deluxe Fetish Sex Swing”. Does this come with everything you need to install it (although I will buy a different eyebolt that will be sturdier)? Does it come with an instruction manual? How do I know where the joists in the ceiling are if I can’t see them? (I’m moving soon so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to or not) and does the eyebolt absolutely NEED to be drilled into a joist?

Neither me nor my partner are too good at DIY and I’d rather not have to ask my dad to help me install a sex swing, since he’s got the DIY knowledge and he hasn’t taught me well :joy::joy:

1 Like

I don’t have this swing but one of the reviews states:

“Straight out the box it’s almost ready to use (you need to put the hook into a joist). I ordered this and immediately went into my attic and strengthened my joists (paranoia), got down and made my pilot hole, then the waiting game… delivery. Opened the box, very neat and tidy, found the hook and screwed it in (it’s not easy, make sure its in tight). Then connect the other parts. There is instructions if required.”

100% though, YES - it must go into a joist if you’re hanging it from the ceiling otherwise as soon as you sit on it it will come away from your ceiling bringing a whole lot of plaster board with it and leaving a much larger DIY project that you will definitely need your Dad’s help with! (There are alternative frames for it available but obviously these add quite a bit to the cost and required storage space.)

2 Likes

Haven’t done a sex swing but have done other installations.

You definitely need to be mounting the swing through a joist in order to take the weight and the best way is to drill completely through the joist and use a nut and large washer on the top kif it’s wide enough) rather than screwing into the joust.

You may be lucky and find a joist by tapping on the ceiling and listening to the sound difference but personally I would be working inside the loft to make sure I got the exact position.

3 Likes

This is great, thank you! I was looking through the reviews but I guess I didn’t see that one or gave up looking before I got to it :joy:

1 Like

Thank you!! Knocking on the ceiling makes a lot of sense, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that :woman_facepalming::joy: I will definitely try getting into the loft though, I just remember that the opening was very small and I’m not sure if there was a ladder to get into it :joy:

Same as installing a chandelier, need to go up in the loft.
What you can do if the joist is not in the right place for where you want your swing is fix a good (solid) piece of wood between the joists you have and then attach the swing to that in the position you want. I drilled a small hole in the ceiling (having made sure there were no pipes near) where I wanted and then fixed the new ‘joist’ and hung it from that.

2 Likes

Hi @SkyePCock I have a ceiling swing, more info in link below from a thread very recently.

Best thing to do is go in loft an drill a small pilot hole next to the beam you want to hang from through to the room below and also measure from this hole to the cente of the width of the beam so when you drill up from the bedroom you are using this measurement to find the centre of the beam.
You can also put metal beam strengtheners up on either side of the beam you have used in loft too for extra peace of mind. Don’t cost much and are just screwed or nailed to the beam.

Ours has held up all this time.

Good luck and enjoy

3 Likes

This is great information, thank you so much!!

@SkyePCock the swing comes with a suitably strong eyelet ring which is fine so not the need to buy another one. Ours is just left in beam permanently.

The swings are definitely worth their money if you do purchase. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I haven’t installed but have enjoyed a ceiling mounted swing. It was amazing.
I have also been lucky enough to try a self standing sling (ie in it’s own frame) this was equally amazing and when ‘giving’ had the added advantage of being able to hang on to the frame as well as the chains. I don’t think either were cheap though

4 Likes

Knock on ceiling until you get a bigger thud, try a pilot hole to make sure you hit wood…

1 Like

“make sure you hit wood…”

Sid James and the Carry On crew would (wood?) be proud of you with that one :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Del boy and rodders come to mind :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Should come with everything but id personally updrage the hardware from from the likes of toolstation as it will cost you less than £10 and give you peace of mind but up to you. If you are able to put up a shelf then its basically the same just vertical and into a joist :slight_smile: I’m not sure how you can go about private messaging me but im an engineer/builder of sorts so can help you though it if you get stuck. Maybe just post in her and ill turn on my notifications

2 Likes

@SkyePCock had one at one time. I went into the attic and added extra boards in between the rafters to make sure it did not pull the roof in. Drilled a hole through the sheetrock ceiling and put a eye bolt in it with large washers and nut on other side. Then I bought a smoke detector and cut out the back to hide the eye bolt so that the kids did not say what is that in the ceiling? : ) I usually go beyond what something calls for when building etc…

3 Likes

That’s great, thank you so much!

I don’t really mind if people see it or not, it should only be me and my partner in the upstairs part of my house since the toilet is downstairs and we don’t have a spare room, so if they see it, they can mind their own business :joy:

2 Likes

@SkyePCock My kids were about 10 or so at the time and did not miss anything.

1 Like

You need to get in the loft, where you want your swing bolt, drill a small 3mm hole in the ceiling poke a long metal wire(like a metal coat hanger straightened out ) in the loft see where it pokes up remembering it might be under your “stuff” in the loft, move the insulation to one side being careful you don’t fall through the plaster board.
Use the nearest beam to your small hole, drill in the center of the beam ell the way through into the bedroom, poke your long bolt through with a large flat washer on it and tighten the nut in the loft, ideally tie 3 beams together with a plank across the top to strengthen them to stop it twisting with any swing motion?

2 Likes

a friend of mine installed one using climbing rope wrapped round a joist they hid it by taking the guts out of an old battery smoke alarm, they cut a big enough hole in the bottom of it then screwed that up and tucked the rope inside when not being used

1 Like