Cleaning corsets

So we've recently moved house and a lot of clothing has been in storage. I've dug through it all and put it all to be washed as they've been on the floor and got dusty and stuff. In the pile was two corsets, one of which is plastic boned. I want to wash them but don't know know if I should. Would a hand wash cycle in the washer be gentle enough or should I wash them by hand in the bath? They're not dirty just musty.
Thanks!

Hey Young and fun95

Ideally, you don't want to immerse your corset in water. Plastic boned corsets are okay-ish to immerse as there is nothing to rust, but best practice is still not to. 

It's also not advisable to wash in the washing machine, even on a hand wash cycle.

The best thing to do is mix some non-bio detergent in some luke warm water, and then use this water with a sponge to clean the fabric on your corset.

Focus on the armpits and the inner side which makes contact with skin. You can un-lace your corset too and pop the laces into a lingerie bag (or a sock!) and pop those through the washing machine to freshen them. 

Then leave your corset to air dry in a warm-ish room (the airing cupboard is great) but don't lay it on or too near any heaters which could damage the boning. 

I hope that helps! 

Is it bad that I have never washed mine 🙈

Maybe I should get them out of storage and do that too, thanks for the info Jess! 

I would personally hand wash them in the bath. I wouldn’t risk them in the machine as the bones could become damaged. Laying them out afterwards flat between a couple of towels will help them to dry quicker - good luck :) xx

Thankyou! I think I'll go with the sponge idea. Part of me was just going to shove them in the washer and hope that they'd be washing machine safe. I thought they wouldn't be too hard to wash since even if you're not having fun in them people must get sweaty in them with them being quite tight so they must get washed regularly... but apparently not 😂🙊

Baby wipes 👍

Sum Sub wrote:

Baby wipes 👍

YUP! My kids haven't been babies for years but still buy baby wines. Great for wiping down clothing, getting dust off the TV, removing make up... Endless list!

My OH has some beautiful corsets and the advice from LH Jess is what she does. She did once hang one on the washing line to air. That got a stern look from the neighbour.

If you do happen to get some fluid ( ![](upload://kym5tZ5EfyJxs6TKHB1Q2HtGSpK.gif)) on the material then do try to get it off as quick as possible. As suggested above, a baby wipe would ideal.

Sum Sub wrote:

Baby wipes 👍

I always wipe my Beyonce corset with baby wipes......works really well xx

Corsets are usually dry clean only, so I take mine to the dry cleaners. They will unlace them and replace them when done. You can choose a light clean/refresh, which will be cheeper.

Please don't ever put the. In a washing machine. My corsets are steel boned and therefor not to be wet. I hope this helps.