Coconut oil as a lubricant

I couldn't find this question or answer on the forum. Sorry if it's been asked/answered before.

Does anyone know if it's safe/advisable to use pure coconut oil with rubber/pvc/silicon dildos as a lubricant? (Not condoms, just the toys themselves).

Thanks in advance. 😃

Rubber (at least TPE) is porous, so you probably want to stay away from coconut oil in that regards. PVC is similar (and generally not a great material to be putting inside you). Silicone is all gravy though.

Thanks Pegguin. I do have water based lube - but have a big pot of pure coconut oil from Costco and was just wondering.

Provided its extra virgin raw coconut oil you're fine with glass, metal, silcione and treated wood.

It should be fine with the silicone. The best bet is to do a small spot test somewhere on the base of the toy (that won't be inside you) and see if it reacts.

I wouldn't use coconut oil as lube though, as the oil can cause problems internally (both vaginally and anally) and can be hard to wash off your toy properly, meaning it can leave a coating to harbour bacteria. Some people swear by it, but hey. The potential for issues is always there when you're coating your insides (and toys) with oil.

I'd stick to actual lube. But that's just me!

Thanks Lovebirds.

Don't want to risk getting an infection - so think I'll steer clear.

Whereas I wouldn't use oil in my vagina, my anus - and the skin around it - just feels better with oil-based lube (I'm using udder balm because it doesn't drip and I happen to have it at hand).

I wonder, however, why everybody is raving about coconut oil - what's so special about it? As compared to, say extra virgin olive oil...

As for oil and silicone toys - wouldn't a degradation of the toy prove that it's not made from silicone (regardless of what the label says)? Given that kitchen tools made from silicone survive oil just fine (like the brush I use to oil my baking sheets)...

Coconut oil is generally cheaper and easier to find in extra virgin unrefined form, it's also solid easily which makes popping some inside you easily. It also just feels better than other oils. I agree though, keep it away from a vagina, wrong ph and all that. Anally I've had zero issues and I've never heard of it causing infections for that.

I think coconut oil is popular because it has so many uses (I use it to polish my furniture and cook with - and it also makes a great body moisturiser). It's also supposedly anterbacterial - but I think this is possibly one of the reasons why it's not recommended for vaginal/anal use, as it interferes with the body's natural bacterial chemistry.

I should have googled this properly before asking the question in the first place!

I've used it on a silicon dildo recently - and it does feel great because it gives a super-smooth lubrication - but in hindsight, the antibacterial properties mean I'll stop using it, as I don't want yet another UTI!

Provided you keep it away from your vagina it'll be absolutely fine honestly. It's no different to a commercial oil based lube, just feels great.

+1 pegguin

I have seen the first post was about rubber / tpe toys. These are pouyrous and can harbour bateria leading to infections. Please please please use an alternqative material silicone, glass, wood are still realtivly cheap and sometimes cheaper than TPE products but i have heard that coconut oil is a great lubricant ovbiously i would be werary of putting it near mu vulva but anally i suppose its ok i would choose to use lube over coconut oil as a rule

I've seen you pop some things about wooden toys about, have you used any? I've always been interested in how they feel, of they're porous etc (I think not due to the varnishing and sealing) but I can't really afford a beautiful custom made one yet

Could be a real pain to wash out of the sheets/towels etc? but works well as a lube.

Lovebirds_x wrote:

It should be fine with the silicone. The best bet is to do a small spot test somewhere on the base of the toy (that won't be inside you) and see if it reacts.

I wouldn't use coconut oil as lube though, as the oil can cause problems internally (both vaginally and anally) and can be hard to wash off your toy properly, meaning it can leave a coating to harbour bacteria. Some people swear by it, but hey. The potential for issues is always there when you're coating your insides (and toys) with oil.

Coconut oil (unrefined, virgin) is great to use as lube and vaginally, it is perfectly safe and definitly better than something that has this in it, for example:

Ingredients: Glycerin, Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Hydroxide, Flavour, Dimethicone.

Coconut oil is nonpolar so has no effect on the PH level of your vagina, It's also supposed to help against yeast infections as well (source here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080)

"It is noteworthy that coconut oil was active against species of Candida at 100% concentration compared to fluconazole. Coconut oil should be used in the treatment of fungal infections in view of emerging drug-resistant Candida species."

It also doesn't block your pores, as long as you buy the unrefined version it is actually really good for your skin. We've been using it awhile vaginally and anally and had no problems. Just make sure your hands are super clean when taking it out of the jar so you're not contaminating anything.

And remember that it can leave marks on sheets so get an old towel out if you're going to spread lube everywhere!

PBLove wrote:

Lovebirds_x wrote:

Coconut oil (unrefined, virgin) is great to use as lube and vaginally, it is perfectly safe and definitly better than something that has this in it, for example:

Ingredients: Glycerin, Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Hydroxide, Flavour, Dimethicone.

Coconut oil is nonpolar so has no effect on the PH level of your vagina, It's also supposed to help against yeast infections as well (source here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080)

"It is noteworthy that coconut oil was active against species of Candida at 100% concentration compared to fluconazole. Coconut oil should be used in the treatment of fungal infections in view of emerging drug-resistant Candida species."

It also doesn't block your pores, as long as you buy the unrefined version it is actually really good for your skin. We've been using it awhile vaginally and anally and had no problems. Just make sure your hands are super clean when taking it out of the jar so you're not contaminating anything.

Absolutely this!

Used it for a few yeas now as lube and as moisturiser and it is great and never experienced problems whatsoever.

PBLove wrote:

Lovebirds_x wrote:

Coconut oil can cause issues in the vagina, the antibacterial nature (arguably good thing elsewhere on the body) can mess with the balance of bacteria and there have been reports of women getting bacterial vaginosis after using coconut oil. Not all vaginal issues come from PH levels.

It also absolutely can block pores, as it is a comedogenic oil. Being unrefined or virgin doesn't change that. Different sources rate it from fairly to moderately or even highly so, but the fact is it can and does block pores. You get plenty of people who have no problems with it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is recognised as being comedogenic.

Coconut oil is one of those unfortunate products that for every story you read of how amazing it is, there will be one saying the opposite. There also haven't been any studies on whether or not it is safe to use as a lubricant, so whether you use it or not depends on whose opinions you chose to believe, and since there are both positive and negative experiences out there I would personally err on the side of caution and avoid.

It's also worth noting that unrefined coconut oil is exactly that, unrefined, and can contain dust particles and such. It's not as hygeinic as refined coconut oil, which to me again equals not going in my body. The advice I have read on 'raw' coconut oil is that it needs to be heated well before consumption to eliminate any contaminants (raw consumption is not reccomended) and that it is best suited to extrenal use, i.e. not lubricant. Sure, it could just be companies trying to cover their ass and it's not that risky, but why take the risk at all?

Also, a good quality lubricant wouldn't contain anything harmful like glycerin. The list of ingredients you have copy/pasted is an example of a poor lubricant ingredients wise. I wouldn't use poor quality lubricants either! :p