Confused about silk lube

I bought this the other day (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25001) and noticed afterwards that the tube says safe to use it solo, with a partner, or on a toy, and is condom safe, which I assumed to mean it was safe for internal use.

However, I read further and it said "for external use only". At that point, it was too late, but I don't think I'm suffering from any reactions or infections thus far, although it's been less than 24 hours. Other people's reviews on the product infer that they've used the lube internally with no problems either. Just was a bit confused about this. Perhaps the description should be revised somehow?

I'm also curious about this!

I have the FSOG silky caress lube and it's basically like moisturiser, it does say that you can use it on sex toys though so I assume it can be used internally :/

It did burn on my clitoris though - yowch!

To put your mind at rest the wording for "for external use only" normally refers to creams and other ointments for external use only. Ie you don't drink them or ingest them .

I think is just a safety precaution like you see on packets of peanuts when it says "this product may contain nuts" under the allergy information .

Nothing to worry about just enjoy. ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

mysteron wrote:

To put your mind at rest the wording for "for external use only" normally refers to creams and other ointments for external use only. Ie you don't drink them or ingest them .

I think is just a safety precaution like you see on packets of peanuts when it says "this product may contain nuts" under the allergy information .

Nothing to worry about just enjoy. ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Awesome, thanks!

I've noticed this on a few lubes and often wondered as well

dont go spreading it on your toast or smothering it over your chips!

tomorrowneverknows wrote:

I bought this the other day (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25001) and noticed afterwards that the tube says safe to use it solo, with a partner, or on a toy, and is condom safe, which I assumed to mean it was safe for internal use.

However, I read further and it said "for external use only". At that point, it was too late, but I don't think I'm suffering from any reactions or infections thus far, although it's been less than 24 hours. Other people's reviews on the product infer that they've used the lube internally with no problems either. Just was a bit confused about this. Perhaps the description should be revised somehow?

Hi!

The warnings on lubes and sex toys are a formalilty (and legal requirement) which is needed for patenting, shipping overseas and stopping silly people doing silly things. You'll notice that pretty much all vibrators also say on the packaging 'for external use only' or 'novelty product'. In addition, lubricants are classified as a 'cosmetic' and therefore, legally, we need to add this to the packaging. It may well be safe for use in/on intimate areas, but this does not mean it's ok to ingest in large quantities. Look at your toothpaste - it'll say the exact same thing. Even though it's designed to go in your mouth, it's technically a 'cosmetic' so carries the same warning.

Although it can be a little confusing, this warning does not mean it's not safe to use internally - it effectively means 'don't be a pillock and drink this!'. The warning is basically there to 'cover our as**s' in legal terms and stop people from eating a whole tub of lube!

Having said that, you should always scrutinise the ingredients of anything you intend to put on/in your body. As long as you're not allergic or sensitive to anything on the list, using it internally will be perfectly safe. We would never sell anything which is not body-safe. 

The lube your specifically referring to is designed more specifically for male masturbation simply because it contains some sugars, but this shouldn't cause any problems for most women. There is debate as to how much of an issue sugar really is in relation to yeast infections anyway, but if you/your partner is extremely sensitive or prone to UTI's, I would reocmmend using a lube with no sugars in whatsoever. The ingredients for this lube are:

Aqua (Water)
Propylene Glycol (Humectant and preservative)
Glyceryl Stearate SE (
emulsifies liquid and helps it glide - contains small amount of Glycerine which *could* cause an issue for women who are very prone to yeast infections)
Hydroxyethylcellulose (Gelling agent derived from cellulose)
Phenoxyethanol (Preservative)
Carbomer (C2 expansion)
Ethylhexylglycerin (Deoderiser -  also often used in the treatment of eczema)
Disodium EDTA (Stabiliser)
Sodium Hydroxide (Slippery Alkali)
Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract (Seaweed known for its nourishing properties)

If you're ever in doubt though, please always get in touch and we'll be happy to explain everything you need to know :) 

Cheers! 

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi!

The warnings on lubes and sex toys are a formalilty (and legal requirement) which is needed for patenting, shipping overseas and legal reasons. You'll notice that pretty much all vibrators also say on the packaging 'for external use only' or 'novelty product'. In addition, lubricants are classified as a 'cosmetic' and therefore, legally, we need to add this to the packaging. It may well be safe for use in/on intimate areas, but this does not mean it's ok to ingest in large quantities. Look at your toothpaste - it'll say the exact same thing. Even though it's designed to go in your mouth, it's technically a 'cosmetic' so carries the same warning.

Although it can be a little confusing, this warning does not mean it's not safe to use internally - it effectively means 'don't be a pillock and drink this!'. The warning is basically there to 'cover our as**s' in legal terms and stop people from eating a whole tub of lube!

Having said that, you should always scrutinise the ingredients of anything you intend to put on/in your body. As long as you're not allergic or sensitive to anything on the list, using it internally will be perfectly safe. We would never sell anything which is not body-safe.

The lube your specifically referring to is designed more specifically for male masturbation simply because it contains some sugars, but this shouldn't cause any problems for most women. There is debate as to how much of an issue sugar really is in relation to yeast infections anyway, but if you/your partner is extremely sensitive or prone to UTI's, I would reocmmend using a lube with no sugars in whatsoever. The ingredients for this lube are:

Aqua (Water)
Glyceryl Stearate SE (emulsifies liquid and helps it glide - contains small amount of Glycerine which *could* cause an issue for women who are very prone to yeast infections)
Carbomer (C2 expansion)
Ethylhexylglycerin (Deoderiser - also often used in the treatment of eczema)
Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract (Seaweed known for its nourishing properties)

If you're ever in doubt though, please always get in touch and we'll be happy to explain everything you need to know :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the excellent info - hopefully this will put everyones mind at rest :) x

mysteron wrote:

This cracks me up everytime. 

I always think "Well, it better!!" :P 

The whole may contain nuts should be on lube as it may have touched nuts! Lol!

Vampiror wrote:

The whole may contain nuts should be on lube as it may have touched nuts! Lol!

![yes|20x20](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif "yes")

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

Hi!

The warnings on lubes and sex toys are a formalilty (and legal requirement) which is needed for patenting, shipping overseas and stopping silly people doing silly things. You'll notice that pretty much all vibrators also say on the packaging 'for external use only' or 'novelty product'. In addition, lubricants are classified as a 'cosmetic' and therefore, legally, we need to add this to the packaging. It may well be safe for use in/on intimate areas, but this does not mean it's ok to ingest in large quantities. Look at your toothpaste - it'll say the exact same thing. Even though it's designed to go in your mouth, it's technically a 'cosmetic' so carries the same warning.

Aqua (Water)
Glyceryl Stearate SE (emulsifies liquid and helps it glide - contains small amount of Glycerine which *could* cause an issue for women who are very prone to yeast infections)
Carbomer (C2 expansion)
Ethylhexylglycerin (Deoderiser - also often used in the treatment of eczema)

Cheers!

Thanks for the amazing info! To my knowledge, I'm not allergic to anything, so reading ingredients/instructions/disclaimers is just a pasttime, although I should be reading those *before* use, not after!

Just Jenson wrote:

dont go spreading it on your toast or smothering it over your chips!

Hah!! ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

mysteron wrote:

This cracks me up everytime.

I always think "Well, it better!!" :P

Imagine the look on someone face if they opened up a bag of KP and it didnt?!

Thank you Jess! I saw this post and had a panic attack haha!

Btw your photo is beautiful!