Contraception... Implant ?? The snip

Morning all we are after some advice ..

We don't have kids having been told we could not conceive,as we can't have kids we have never used contraception in 17yrs of marriage .Despite this over the past 10 years we did fall pregnant twice but had miscarriages at 8 weeks. The most recent one being in August
With the emotional roller coaster these have brought as being told 100% medically you can't conceive then to find out we were expecting and then to miscarriage, my wife has decided enough is enough and we have to use condoms now so there is no risk of falling pregnant and going through another miscarriage and the emotional pain and hurt this brings..we have an amazing life and happy to face the world as just the two of us..

She is 41 and does not want to go on the pill as she did this many years ago and struggled with it. I do struggle with condoms as they are a barrier to being completely intimate as a couple if that makes sense ... So can anyone give any info on the female implant contraception ? Is there an age limit ? The other options may be for me to have a little snip down below... Any advise suggestions greatly received... Thanks all
X

I currently have the depo injection, been on it for over 7 years now. Not had any complications or side effects. You do have to go for the injection around every 12 weeks though.

My mother is around the same age and has the injection every 12 weeks. I'm so sorry for your losses. x

My wife and I got together when we were both 41, originally she was on 'the jab' (depo).

When it became obvious that we both felt we were too old to start our own family I went for the snip.

It took a few weeks for my appointment to come through, during which time she was still protected by her last injection, and the procedure took less than 30 minutes, pain free.

They advise you to relax and do nothing for 24 hours, but there was none of the side effects people had been telling me about (I'm sure they were just wind-ups).

72 hours later I was in the mood and masturbated with no different feelings than before, and 48 hours after that we made love a little bit more gentle than usual.

You have to provide two more sperm samples after the op to make sure it worked, but thats just filling a test tube and posting it off.

Seriously, unless you're planning on involving another man bareback, I would say it's by far the easiest method. You still produce liquid at ejaculation, that remains, it just has no sperm in it.

I have been on both the implant and the injection, both of which I bled profusely on and made me depressed.I went onto the pill and was fine, I have since had 2 children and tried to go back onto that pill yet it didn't agree with me at all this time.

I've been advised to go down the coil route (there are 2 options one with hormones and one without) they last upto 10 years so you can forget about them, although they can make your periods heavier, more painful or stop altogether (dependant on her body and how she reacts to hormones etc)

I however, would rather my husband had the snip as we know there's no worries about any side effects etc.

It would ultimately depends if you'd be happy to have the snip, if so, I would say that would be the best and more reliable option if you definitely don't want any more children

I'm really sorry for your losses, that's so awful.

Regarding the implant. It will still use hormones, that the same of a pill, so if she cant take the pill it would be best for a copper (hormonal free) coil. The best things with the pills is you can stop any time, whereas you can't with the implant and have to wait for the injection to get out of your system. This was told to me by a doctor, and have stayed away from the implant and injection myself, and really considering a coil.

Best of luck and hope you find something that works for you two soon :)

the implant has so many side effects and can make you super hormonal, I think it's behind a lot of my problems.

it is different for everyone and as long as you read into the side effects properly, I think I posted them on here somewhere , then it shouldn't be any different for her age. It only lasts 3 years though and I think it's advised that you take a break after each but it's not essential

As others have said the snip has the least side effects, even less than female sterilisation, some experience ED either psychologically or through a messed up op, but I think it's pretty rare

Hi guys thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I am toying with the snip option. I am mindful of all the tests and stress and emotions my wife has gone through over the years around being able to conceive and the losses.

I think she is happy to have her body back minus any drugs etc and as you say one snip and its forgotten :-) oh and it means I can milk the operations and insist on being waited on hand and foot.

But in all seriousness thanks again.. One questions to arrange a snip do you just pop to the docs and start the process ?

cg22 wrote:

Hi guys thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I am toying with the snip option. I am mindful of all the tests and stress and emotions my wife has gone through over the years around being able to conceive and the losses.

I think she is happy to have her body back minus any drugs etc and as you say one snip and its forgotten :-) oh and it means I can milk the operations and insist on being waited on hand and foot.

But in all seriousness thanks again.. One questions to arrange a snip do you just pop to the docs and start the process ?

Yep, probably your best course of action. For your info, after my snip I went for a pint at night and was shovelling ready mix concrete the following day for my new garage floor. Good luck.

I had the female sterilisation done in February after being on the pill since I was 16.

It was so easy was done in an hour , just took 1day off to recover .
Was the best thing I did , still needed protection for 3 months after but now is great no fumbling with condoms or pills .

Only side affect I've had is feeling more hornier than before but not a problem !!! .

This technique however is permanent so don't recommend if you have any doubts

I had the snip done about 4 years ago when we were still in the UK. If i remember corretly i went to see my local GP who asked me a few questions to make 100% sure it was what we wanted (was not yet 40 and they are not to keen on doing it if you are younger than 40). The procedure was done through Marie Stopes International. I think i got there for 9, was out by 9;30 and that was that. There was a little bit of tenderness after but I didn't even take any painkillers afterwards.

I am commenting only because I am in a similar boat, in that I've been considering the snip on and off for a few years now.

Worht noting that the snip is NOT without risk of complications, some of which are untreatable and can happen years down the line. I've done a fair amount of reading on this and in most cases the doctors do not know what causes the pain, and therefore cannot do anything about it.

Of course the internet is always full of scare stories, but to be honest, at the moment the 'inconvienience' of condoms for me is still favourable to developing long term pain issues.

Spoke to my doctor about it (when I was considering the snip) and he actaully recommended the latest forms of female steralision (which apparently can now all be performed vaginally so no need for surgery type cutting), or of course to continue using the condoms.

If you search for "post vasectomy pain" (aka PVP) then there is plenty of information around, also:

http://www.postvasectomypain.org/

Not trying to put you off, or recommend either way as I feel strongly that it needs to be down to the individual, but just putting that information out there for consideration.

Im so, so sorry for your losses.
Personally I will never use hormonal contraception again, years on the pill and then the implant masked some fertility issues which have ultimately left me infertile, these could have been treated/better monitored if I'd had proper investigations in my teens rather than being stuck on contraception by the Dr for the problems I was having.
The pill gave me acne and it was a pain having to remember to take it every day.
The implant really lowered my sex drive and made me quite moody although it stopped my periods altogether.
Since coming off contraception I have lost nearly 3 stone, I always just thought I couldn't lose weight, turns out I could but the hormones I was taking were affecting my weight. Quite a few friends have had weight gain on the injection too.

I'm not saying the snip is without its downsides too but I'd think very carefully before messing with either of your hormones.

I have had the implant , the coil, the pill and recently have had my tubes tied.

I suffered severe bleeding with the implant

The coil, my OH could feel the strings and due to a medical issue, I could also feel coil move around. I had the mirena and unproven would have kept it if I didn't have a medical issue.

I got my tubes tied last year, was told we could have sex whenever I felt ready as they were double clamped. Since I came off hormonal contraceptive my heavy periods returned so I was recommended to have a thermal ablation done ! Since then , I have has very light periods !

I can highly recommend FS but I am 29 hence why I opted for it at only 27 ,I had enough of hormonal contraceptive.

My opinion is go for the snip ! It seems the best solution especially if ur happy to do so. No matter how much pleading I did with my husband, he wouldn't do it

Sorry for yer losses and Whatever ye decide, I wish ye luck...Xxxxx

LSB if you dont mind me asking, did you struggle to get the doctors to agree to it at a young age? We have both looked into it but have read that it would be very unlikely for us to be approved partly due to our age and also because neither of us have children already.

JM88 wrote:

LSB if you dont mind me asking, did you struggle to get the doctors to agree to it at a young age? We have both looked into it but have read that it would be very unlikely for us to be approved partly due to our age and also because neither of us have children already.

No, not all hun. I'm happy to answer questions that help :). Firstly, my gynae is wonderful man who listened to me. Secondly, I have kids and was a million per cent certain I didn't want more. Women over here do struggle with it too so I was kinda surprised he listened to me. Multiple choice contraceptive, kidney issues requiring antibiotics and a duplex kidney system causing strain on coil was enough for him to agree to do it. Though, if I rem correctly, he didn't need much convincing. The big thing is neither of ye having children I'm guessing. Is there not an option to pay private for it ? I luckily was covered on health system here but had to bide my time x

Thanks for your answer :) there is the option to pay private but that still says youre unlikely to be accepted if you are young and have no children (or few children). The nhs is almost 100% a no unless you have very good reasons and i understand that.

JM88 wrote:

Thanks for your answer :) there is the option to pay private but that still says youre unlikely to be accepted if you are young and have no children (or few children). The nhs is almost 100% a no unless you have very good reasons and i understand that.

:( it sucks though as there is couples out there who are definite they dont want children.

LittleSwitchBitch wrote:

JM88 wrote:

:( it sucks though as there is couples out there who are definite they dont want children.
With you both on this, I've recently seen my doctor about FS and they were pretty much adamant that I couldn't have it or that I'm going to change my mind. Hubby doesn't want to get sterilised as he hates the idea of someone messing with him lol, but we know we don't want any more children. Yey the doctors said I'm too young to be certain... I'm sure I know what I want! . Grrrr