Contraception

I have the Mirena and I love it!
Whilst it is a hormone method it's only the equivalent to 3 mini-pills a week so is a lot lower dose of hormone. Its also the hormone having a local effect because it is already where the hormone has to act so its not a pill being swallowed, digested, and then the hormone being taken around the body to where it is needed.

I've had no problems with the Mirena. Sex drive hasn't reduced at all and love the fact it's there and I don't need to worry about it. After 6 months of having it in I haven't had any periods, no headaches, no mood swings and no stomach cramps.

I would recommend a Mirena over a copper coil because even though it's hormone its such a low dose. Copper coils can cause heavy bleeding and stomach cramps.

My OH came off the pill for a break and we were using condoms. Major puncture, hence youngest daughter. Absolutely no regrets. Vasectomy soon after, tadpoles without heads now.

I started the pill when I was 18, a specific one to cure acne. I was happy at the start because my period became regular, my skin was gorgeous and my boobs got a little bigger ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif) well, not only my boobs, actually, but I've never had issues with my weight and gaining a little did not bother me. The only problem I had with it was that I sometimes forgot it and it could bring me a lot of stress.

But two years ago, there was a sanitary scandal in France (where I was still living at the time) and they decided to stop selling my pill because it was considered "dangerous". So my doctor gave me a prescription for another one and all my acne came back... I was gutted and I decided that if I was to have acne, I'd rather stop the pill so I would not have other side effects, like mood swings or bloating.

So I stopped the pill and as my man was away for a few weeks, I waited a bit before getting a copper coil. And that's when I realised that being on the pill had actually lowered my sex drive. When I was on the pill, I was rarely in the mood for sex, I never initiated it and have had endless discussions with my man who thought it was his fault... now I am always happy to have sex and every other time I am the one who initiates, when it's ovulation time I get horny as hell and I have a very happy man in my bed now

Of course, getting a coil is not pain-free, but I now have peace of mind for five years. And acne, but it will eventually go away, I'm sure!

I've tried plenty of different hormonal contraceptions and never found one that completely suited me. I didn't mind microgynon as it probably had the least side effects for me and didn't harm my sex drive, but I had to come off of that as it was dangerous to take with my chronic medical condition. The mirena is by far the worst contraceptive ever, and I didn't get on with the implant etc either.

The mirena really put me off trying the copper coil as I found it so painful and uncomfortable all the time, plus my OH could feel it during sex. A friend of mine told me about fertility awareness so I bought a book called 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' and it's been my bible ever since!

I've been practicing FAM since April 2014 now and it's so simple once you get into it. All I have to do is take my temperature first thing in the morning and monitor my cervical fluid throughout the day to determine when I'm fertile. I've been able to get my partner involved in it too and it's brought us closer together and now contraception is more of a shared responsibility. We choose to use condoms during my fertile period (about 10 days a month), although people who are really against pregnancy usually abstain.

For us, this means we get to enjoy unprotected sex without consequences or nasty side effects for about 20 days a month, which is pretty good! The symptothermal method we use from the book is over 99% effective, so as good as using the pill or patch.

If you're interested I'd recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility, it's great :) We wouldn't use any other form of contraception now.

I have the implant, apart form the recent pregnancy scare, put down to stress, I've had no problems, don't even know it's there. Altough being a biologist I don't like messing with the body, something made to hit one receptor hits loads of others too, so when this runs out I'll have it removed and either use condoms or have a baby then get sterilised.

I was taken off the pill when my mother was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. My family history with breast cancer (grandmother had it but survived, she's been cancer free for 23 years, her sister and my mom died because of it) kind of forced me to back away from hormonal contraceptives as they are belived to raise the risk of breast cancer in people with a familiar history like mine.

So we're back to good ol' condoms (the discovery of bulk packs saved our wallets) and my OH pulls out every time, just in case. Better safe than sorry, at this point of our life.

Hey everyone!

Sorry. I know this is an old thread but I just had a specific question that no one seems to be able to answer!

I got my implant removed yesterday morning. I've taken off the pressure bandage and am now leaving on the plaster for another 24 hours. I'm absolutely desperate for a relaxing bath and was wondering if anyone knew when I'm allowed to? I asked the nurse but I've just realized she only told me not to get the pressure bandage wet and I'm now unsure of what to do. Thanks!x

Bex you should be absolutely fine, I was only told now to get the bandage wet so once that's off I assume you're good to go xx

My current pet hate...contraception. an interesting thread as I am currently looking at my options.

Up until a year ago I was on the combined pill which was great, light periods and if need be I could avoid having a period by not having a 7 day break. For a few reasons I was put on the mini pill still had light periods but now every 2 weeks and noticed a lot more spots on the face.

I was totally peeved off and so decided sod this, I'm not putting hormones in my body anymore which I have done non stop since I was 15.

Like RubyDarling i have noticed that since coming off the pill my sex drive has rocketed, whereas as before I was never interested and very rarely instigated it although when I did have sex I did enjoy it.

However my problem is that condoms aren't working for us, as soon as my hubby puts a condom on he starts to lose his erection which never happens when a condom isn't used. In the long term he is going to have the snip but in the meantime we need contraception that isn't going to affect my libido. 

Usedworkshoes wrote:

Bex you should be absolutely fine, I was only told now to get the bandage wet so once that's off I assume you're good to go xx

Thanks! I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so I just needed some reassurance.x

Time4fun wrote:

My current pet hate...contraception. an interesting thread as I am currently looking at my options.

Up until a year ago I was on the combined pill which was great, light periods and if need be I could avoid having a period by not having a 7 day break. For a few reasons I was put on the mini pill still had light periods but now every 2 weeks and noticed a lot more spots on the face.

I was totally peeved off and so decided sod this, I'm not putting hormones in my body anymore which I have done non stop since I was 15.

Like RubyDarling i have noticed that since coming off the pill my sex drive has rocketed, whereas as before I was never interested and very rarely instigated it although when I did have sex I did enjoy it.

However my problem is that condoms aren't working for us, as soon as my hubby puts a condom on he starts to lose his erection which never happens when a condom isn't used. In the long term he is going to have the snip but in the meantime we need contraception that isn't going to affect my libido.

I just came off the implant for similar reasons. Last year when I was hormone free I lost just over 30 lbs. Since being on it again I've gained most of it back with no diet change. My skin is worse and my periods last longer. We're going to use Skyn condoms for a while until I'm happy with my weightloss and can use less intense hormones like the patch. It is so frustrating that women have to pump all of these hormones into our bodies! It's been 24 hours and I feel healthier already.

As far as your situation, the only non-hormonal option I can think of (which might not impact your sex drive as much) would be the IUD. It wasn't an option the nurse recommended for me as I have never had children and have a slightly tilted cervix but could work for you. I've also heard good things about localised hormonal contraception like the nuvaring. Good luck!

My wife was on the pill for many years and eventually she came off it and we have been using condoms since. She feels it took approx a year for her body to get back to normal after 10 years on the pill. Now for the next stage I am going to go for a vasectomy as the condoms are a bit of a hassle sometimes when you just want to go at it. A vasectomy is a lot safer and less intrusive than a female getting her tubes tied for the same end result.

bex1213 wrote:

Time4fun wrote:

I just came off the implant for similar reasons. Last year when I was hormone free I lost just over 30 lbs. Since being on it again I've gained most of it back with no diet change. My skin is worse and my periods last longer. We're going to use Skyn condoms for a while until I'm happy with my weightloss and can use less intense hormones like the patch. It is so frustrating that women have to pump all of these hormones into our bodies! It's been 24 hours and I feel healthier already.

As far as your situation, the only non-hormonal option I can think of (which might not impact your sex drive as much) would be the IUD. It wasn't an option the nurse recommended for me as I have never had children and have a slightly tilted cervix but could work for you. I've also heard good things about localised hormonal contraception like the nuvaring. Good luck!

i have the nuvaring, its ok, i dont feel as hormonal as i did with the implant, im much less paraniod which was a real problem for me, i had a few month off after having the implant out and felt loads better, since having the nuvaring i havent really noticed anything change. i still go through my natural rhythm and have a period in the week its out. the only problem is that becuase i still go through my natural rhythm my cervix still moves up and down, and when its low theres not a lot of room for the ring so it can get in the way during sex but not so much that it makes it difficutl, OH can just feel it