pill - is it just her

Hi Guys

simple question .. OH went off the pill and we used condoms instead cause we found the pill was effecting her sex drive .. sex drive has come back but so with it has her apprehension and mistrust of condoms (one or two mishaps in the past) ... she wants to go back on the pill and to be fair i think it best to as then she will be more chilled out at the best of times ;) so the question is which one least effects your sex drive ???

I think it's a fairly common side effect that the pill can alter your libido, but I'd say distrust of contraception will hamper your sex life more! Talk to her and see what she is really the most comfortable with, because if there is an inherent distrust of condoms, she's never going to be 100% comfortable using them.

Depends on the person.

Unfortunately it's trial and error. Could be worth considering other alternatives though.

yeh well she is ok with the pill 4 years and mishaps .. the condoms have been touch and go she has had to take the morning after pill twice cause of this and that (rather not go into it lol) the pill is i think her wn choice and her most comfy choice so now i just need to find the one that effects her libido the least

Its a very common sid effect, she should talk to her dr about it and he should be able to prescribe a different brand that hopefully wont have that effect on her, it may be a bit hit and miss as every womans hormone levels are different so she will need to find one that suits her xx

Has she considered the implant? I think it has a lower level of hormone than the pill as it feeds directly into the blood stream, so may effect her libido less. Also, you don't have to remember to take it, and it is unaffected by any tummy upsets.

missorgasm wrote:

Its a very common sid effect, she should talk to her dr about it and he should be able to prescribe a different brand that hopefully wont have that effect on her, it may be a bit hit and miss as every womans hormone levels are different so she will need to find one that suits her xx

this is excellent advice. the doctor or family planning clinic should be able to help.

It's best if she goes to her doctor or a GUM clinic to discuss other methods of contraception and what may be suited to her- that is if she thinks the pill has too much of a negative effect.

It is trial and error, as WandA says. Different methods affect individual women differently.

I'm currently on the 3-monthly depo injectiion. I hated it at the first shot because it made me incredibly lethargic, incredible emotional and I kept "spotting/bleeding". After the second shot my body got used to it and my periods stopped altogether (very happy side effect) and I was much more upbeat. The point I was trying to make is that any hormone related contraception may take time for you partner's body to get used to.

Good luck!

sweetlove666 wrote:

missorgasm wrote:

this is excellent advice. the doctor or family planning clinic should be able to help.

Ta External Media years of pill probs myself lol.

WandA wrote:

Depends on the person.

Unfortunately it's trial and error. Could be worth considering other alternatives though.

This.

It really does vary - you can ask your doc for a good place to start but it really is just a case of trying a few out - take them for 3 months to let the side effects settle before writing them off though.

As WandA said might be worth researching other things but many are more permanent if you don't like it (you can't remove an injected substance for example and the implant is a little more difficult to remove than just stopping taking a pill - same with the coil).

A good place to start looking is the fpa website: http://www.fpa.org.uk/

Adx

missorgasm wrote:

Hm, I didn't know different brands have slightly different side effects.. Although different concentrations of hormones is what matters.. Interesting though. I'd generally be put off by the pill if I had a negative effect to it- wouldn't have thought to try another brand out.

I agree completely with WandA and Alicia.

I've been on 3 different pills since I became sexually active and I've finally found the one which doesn't affect my sex drive. My first two pills made my sex drive drop and it quite badly affected our sex life for a few months, and because my pills didn't give me any other side effects, I stayed on them and left it a long time before I realised what an effect it has had on me. What suits me, may not suit her, but her nurse will be able to provide the best information about what contraception is best, and as WandA said, it is trial and error. It took me three tries to eventually find the contraception that suited me, but if she is wary about the use of condoms, the trials will be worth the long term reassurance.

Good luck x

guys your all geniuses i will check out the site AD and many thanks all again... dont think she will go for the implant she's a girly girl lol will try the docs but last time i asked the question i got a vauge answer .. the docs could lear from you lot to be honest!!

I've tried *counts* 1, 2, 3, 4 different pills and I'm about to come off number 4 to try a different one.

I wrote this on another thread:

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Mine was low on ovranette and microgynon, improved on yasmin, seems to have declined a little on my current pill but too early to tell.

No period change on ovranette, lighter and more predictable on microgynon, light but less predictable on yasmin and I've not had on yet on my current one.

Moods were fine on ovranette, slightly increased on microgynon but not really noticeable, fine on yasmin but I seem more emotional on my current one but again it's too early to tell.

Dryness increased on ovranette and microgynon then increased even more on yasmin and it's too early to tell on the current one.

It really does vary for different people - I'm looking for one that 1) doesn't make my joints worse as yasmin did 2) doesn't dampen my libido as they all did (but yasmin was a little better) 3) lightens my periods/means I can take many packets in a row and miss periods/makes my periods more reliable and less painful and hopefully less dryness but I can live with that one.

Adxx

Though I've now decided my current pill isn't right for me either as I'm dryer, moodier and my sex drive is lower than it's ever been.

Using microgynon as an example - I had absolutely no mood change on it, but some people have very extreme mood issues. It really does depend on the person.

Adx

Ad see now thats the sort of answer the GP should give !!!

ok she is currently on /will be on microgynan ... which i am dead against cause it caused her libido to nose dive like a kamakazee bomber !

from your research as she doesnt have the joint thingys you have yasmin seems like a good choice

whats the current one called ??

Yasmin might be a good one to try - it was the one my doctor switched me too when I said I was sick of microgynon (and that's the one that *everyone* is prescribed 'cause it's cheaper). Worth asking the advice of the doc though - what works for me mightn't work for her.

Hmmm...I forget....I think it's Brevicon.

If it is here's a case in point:

According to this http://contraception.about.com/od/thepill/l/bl_choosingapill.htm Brevicon is a good switch if your current pill makes you feel depressed and yet I've been miserable on it (though I *am* also incredibly stressed right now) so all women respond differently!

adxx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Yasmin might be a good one to try - it was the one my doctor switched me too when I said I was sick of microgynon (and that's the one that *everyone* is prescribed 'cause it's cheaper). Worth asking the advice of the doc though - what works for me mightn't work for her.

Hmmm...I forget....I think it's Brevicon.

If it is here's a case in point:

According to this http://contraception.about.com/od/thepill/l/bl_choosingapill.htm Brevicon is a good switch if your current pill makes you feel depressed and yet I've been miserable on it (though I *am* also incredibly stressed right now) so all women respond differently!

adxx

Scratch that.

It's Brevinor.

Adx

cool will look into yasmin and will let ya know ... i guess the moral of the story is as all us blokes know women are funny creatures and well their hormones play a big part :) so well i'll get the jug of water ready and she can start popping pills

jav_ski wrote:

cool will look into yasmin and will let ya know ... i guess the moral of the story is as all us blokes know women are funny creatures and well their hormones play a big part :) so well i'll get the jug of water ready and she can start popping pills

It really is worth trying a few different ones to find the best - no point putting up with lousy side effects!

Adx

I've just checked on the bedside cabinet, and wifey's current is ovranette.

Current sex drive is too low to measure, lol! To be fair, I don't think its ever been much higher, except when we were trying for a baby, so no pill.