Copper IUD!!

So I have been on the Depo injection for 3 years. It's stopped my periods which is great but the hormones have made me sleepy, gain weight, sad and have ruined my libido!

I've booked a consulation to speak to a nurse about the IUD to see if it's right for me but I'm wondering if any ladies on here have experience with it. I've read some awful horror stories so I guess it's just peace of mind!

immy - I have in IUD but it is the Mirena and is not copper. Everyone's bodies are different but I have like many of the benefits of the IUD. Others may be able to be more specific here. Getting off the hormonals and the pill was one of the best things I ever did.

Hi IMMY, I gained lots of weight on the injection, I felt starving hungry all the time and just ate too much. I now use the implant. Mine almost always stops my periods, I get the odd day or two now and then, but not a real period. I'm not moody and it lasts for 3 years before needing replacing.

I didn't have a coil (IUD) because my OH is a larger than average man, and he said that one of his preciouse girlfriends had a coil, and on two separate occasions he was left with it attached to him after sex. I don't know the woman but I can't think of any reason this would not be true. I found the whole idea a bit scarey so the implant was my choice.

The implant is a hormone based contraceptive but the dose is small and constant, not like the injection.

I hope this is helpful

I've had the copper IUD for 2 years and everything is fine with me. Periods are a bit more painful than when on the pill, but apart from that, no problem.

I know that some women experience some very annoying side effects (bleeding without interruption, heavy periods, cramping, etc) but it's not everyone, so in my opinion, the copper IUD is just like any other birth control method: you can't know if it's for you until you try it.

Fun Louise, your OH's story is one of a kind, it does sound scary but I've never heard of something like that before! In fact I cannot imagine how this could happen, unless the strings of the IUD were very long... which can be resolved by asking your doctor to trim them.

I know it makes your periods more painful and heavier, that was a no no for me. I've just been to the CASH clinic for a vaginal ring, I like that I don't have to go to the doctors if I want to stop using it. I hate hormonal contraceptives but I'm hoping since its local it won't be too bad. Otherwise I'm going for a diaphragm.
Good luck, don't forget it's all about trial and error, if you don't like it get it out and yay something different

I've also had the hormonal Mirena coil, so I can't comment on the copper one exactly but I know what it's like to have a coil in situ. For me it was a horrible experience, it made sex very uncomfortable even months afterwards and the strings used to irritate my partners penis. I also experienced constant menstrual cramps and a feeling of pressure & heaviness in my uterus which was so uncomfortable, I put this down to the fact that I had never had children so my uterus was quite small. I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant now and I still haven't felt pressure like I did from the coil! I did have hormonal side effects too but of course those won't be a problem with the copper coil.

My best friend had the copper coil and she experienced very heavy periods with it, which I think is a common side effect, but some people have said that it eventually wears off after a few months so it could be a case of sticking with it. I don't think it's recommended for women who already have heavy and painful periods though.

As with anything, it's trial and error. Some women get on really well with these things and others don't, so although I've shared my bad experience I wouldn't let it put you off trying as it might turn out to be a great method for you :)

I have a copper IUD. I got it about 1.5 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I did have heavy periods for a few months, but they were also shorter; they leveled out over time and are pretty light again now. I have not experienced any increase in pain, even at the start, and rarely even get much cramping now. The heavier bleeding at the start was only slightly annoying- no real big deal though since I had also switched to a large menstrual cup and reusable cloth pads/tampons.

I didn't even find the insertion particularly painful and was fine from that day on, but I have a high threshold. It was like a bad period cramp which faded fairly quickly. I spotted a little on the day, and maybe extremely rarely after that- doesn't happen now. I've never had any breakthrough bleeding either. I did have an increase in mucusy discharge for maybe up to 6 months or so, though. That's quite common and totally normal. An increased occurance of thrush, especially in the first year, is also common.

Yes, as everyone is saying and you surely already know, it does effect people differently. Don't worry too much about the horror stories. I read my share of them before getting mine, too. Keep in mind that people are more likely to take to the public (and loudly) with their traumatic experiences than their okay experiences. The really bad things are firmly in the minority. And the kind of bad things are mostly temporary.

If your nurse sees no problem with it, I vote go for it!

I think the Mirena is very similar! I'm just curious on the pain and things as I'm a huge wimp hahaha :)

Fun Louise wrote:

Hi IMMY, I gained lots of weight on the injection, I felt starving hungry all the time and just ate too much. I now use the implant. Mine almost always stops my periods, I get the odd day or two now and then, but not a real period. I'm not moody and it lasts for 3 years before needing replacing.

I didn't have a coil (IUD) because my OH is a larger than average man, and he said that one of his preciouse girlfriends had a coil, and on two separate occasions he was left with it attached to him after sex. I don't know the woman but I can't think of any reason this would not be true. I found the whole idea a bit scarey so the implant was my choice.

The implant is a hormone based contraceptive but the dose is small and constant, not like the injection.

I hope this is helpful

I talked about the implant with one of my friends, but hers snapped in half and they had to cut it out, and that to me makes me more sqeamish than having the IUD! If your OH could feel his ex's IUD, maybe the strings were too long, as I did a bit of research on if the male could feel it. I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions at my consultation :) thanks

RubyDarling wrote:

I've had the copper IUD for 2 years and everything is fine with me. Periods are a bit more painful than when on the pill, but apart from that, no problem.

I know that some women experience some very annoying side effects (bleeding without interruption, heavy periods, cramping, etc) but it's not everyone, so in my opinion, the copper IUD is just like any other birth control method: you can't know if it's for you until you try it.

Fun Louise, your OH's story is one of a kind, it does sound scary but I've never heard of something like that before! In fact I cannot imagine how this could happen, unless the strings of the IUD were very long... which can be resolved by asking your doctor to trim them.

Yes, I thought the strings must have been too long!

In regards to your experience, I think that sounds about the normal reaction to the IUD. The nurse said at the time I could trial it for 3-6 months and if Im bleeding too much etc then I can revert to something else. I just thing the benefits outweigh the cons so far!

Boogaloo wrote:

I've also had the hormonal Mirena coil, so I can't comment on the copper one exactly but I know what it's like to have a coil in situ. For me it was a horrible experience, it made sex very uncomfortable even months afterwards and the strings used to irritate my partners penis. I also experienced constant menstrual cramps and a feeling of pressure & heaviness in my uterus which was so uncomfortable, I put this down to the fact that I had never had children so my uterus was quite small. I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant now and I still haven't felt pressure like I did from the coil! I did have hormonal side effects too but of course those won't be a problem with the copper coil.

My best friend had the copper coil and she experienced very heavy periods with it, which I think is a common side effect, but some people have said that it eventually wears off after a few months so it could be a case of sticking with it. I don't think it's recommended for women who already have heavy and painful periods though.

As with anything, it's trial and error. Some women get on really well with these things and others don't, so although I've shared my bad experience I wouldn't let it put you off trying as it might turn out to be a great method for you :)

Yes I've heard about the cramps! I know a lot of clinics will offer meds for the first few months as it settles because having something foreign in your uterus can be very uncomfortable. These are the effects that worry me a little, but I don't want to comletely disregard the coil in case it ends up being better than expected. I can always trial it, like you said

KitsiKiki wrote:

I have a copper IUD. I got it about 1.5 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I did have heavy periods for a few months, but they were also shorter; they leveled out over time and are pretty light again now. I have not experienced any increase in pain, even at the start, and rarely even get much cramping now. The heavier bleeding at the start was only slightly annoying- no real big deal though since I had also switched to a large menstrual cup and reusable cloth pads/tampons.

I didn't even find the insertion particularly painful and was fine from that day on, but I have a high threshold. It was like a bad period cramp which faded fairly quickly. I spotted a little on the day, and maybe extremely rarely after that- doesn't happen now. I've never had any breakthrough bleeding either. I did have an increase in mucusy discharge for maybe up to 6 months or so, though. That's quite common and totally normal. An increased occurance of thrush, especially in the first year, is also common.

Yes, as everyone is saying and you surely already know, it does effect people differently. Don't worry too much about the horror stories. I read my share of them before getting mine, too. Keep in mind that people are more likely to take to the public (and loudly) with their traumatic experiences than their okay experiences. The really bad things are firmly in the minority. And the kind of bad things are mostly temporary.

If your nurse sees no problem with it, I vote go for it!

This is very detailed and helpful actually! I know my periods will be odd for a while anyway as I haven't had one for three years since the injection.

I think I can tolerate the discomfort and possible pain if it is to better my life overall. I've done so much research that I think I've convinced myself it will be good to trial anyway so if it works out great, then all should be well.

I'm sure hormonal methods cause more issues than things like this so in the long run, it sounds more promising. Thanks :)

I've experienced types. I had the copper coil for a couple of years but it did make my periods very heavy so I had it removed and replaced with the Mirena.
The insertion is a little uncomfortable and I had some cramping for a few hours but after I wouldn't have known it was there. Didn't have any side effects for me and with both types you can ask for the strings to be cut a bit shorter if they get in the way.
If you're looking for a non hormonal type then give the copper one a try ,everyone's different and it won't affect all periods in the same way, plus if you don't get on with it then you can always have it taken out .

Hormonal birth control aren't all the same with regards to side effects etc. I got put on the pill at 18 due to PCOS and extreme cramps and heavy irregular bleeding. The first pill i tried (celeste) left me in A+E with a suspected blood clot in my heart or lung after just one week of use, could never have that one again. The second pill (yasmin) only lasted 3 days because i had a constant bad headache, severe nausea and such a heavy diuretic effect i was in the bathroom more often than i was out of it. The third (loestrin) was a lower dose pill with less estrogen, and it did make my periods more regular and lighter, but the cramps stayed the same and if i didnt take it exactly 24 hours apart and was a couple hours late id start bleeding that awful sludgy type blood and it wouldnt stop until i took my 7 day break and kicked in to a full period. I put up with the loestrin for a year or so then just went cold turkey no birth control at all for the next few years. The nexplanon implant however has been a total godsend. In the 20 months i've had it i've had one, very light period, and a few occasions of very light spotting with no accompanying cramps. I've had zero side effects, despite the awful side effects of previous hormonal methods. Progestogen only seems to be exactly what i needed, and for as long as it works like this i'll keep having it replaced every 3 years.

Thought I'd give my thoughts.

So I've seen a lot of people questioning about the devices.

Copper IUD are just as it says on the tin, a little t- shaped plastic thing which has copper on the arms. It kills the sperm stopping you getting pregnant. The benefit of this is its thee longer lasting of the contraceptions out there about 5 years.

If you want something that ygives you straight away cover and dont have to think about contraception this is the one. Its also has a fast turnround if you want to be fertile again after its removal.

The downsides are usually when putting it in: infection, the sensation of it being there, or perforation but thats usually avoided with experienced staff.

Everyday life with it you can get cramping, and in some cases some increase in the amount you bleed during your periods.

You may also want to look into the Mirena, which is the hormonal equivalent, or an implant in the arm or try the different pill regimes.

More advice ask your friendly GUM teams who I'm sure will be glad to help. Hope this helps. ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Not helpful but Ive had my tests done for the copper IUD and they advised coming in during my period as that's the best time to have it done (cervix is more open during that time). However it'll be delayed by another 2 months as I'm due a minor operation in that area at the end of the month. I'm hoping it all goes well for you, i know of lots of people who seem to have no issues with the coil but one that had to have it taken out. Think it's like all contraceptives, no one thing fits all method here.

VirginAngel wrote:

Hormonal birth control aren't all the same with regards to side effects etc. I got put on the pill at 18 due to PCOS and extreme cramps and heavy irregular bleeding. The first pill i tried (celeste) left me in A+E with a suspected blood clot in my heart or lung after just one week of use, could never have that one again. The second pill (yasmin) only lasted 3 days because i had a constant bad headache, severe nausea and such a heavy diuretic effect i was in the bathroom more often than i was out of it. The third (loestrin) was a lower dose pill with less estrogen, and it did make my periods more regular and lighter, but the cramps stayed the same and if i didnt take it exactly 24 hours apart and was a couple hours late id start bleeding that awful sludgy type blood and it wouldnt stop until i took my 7 day break and kicked in to a full period. I put up with the loestrin for a year or so then just went cold turkey no birth control at all for the next few years. The nexplanon implant however has been a total godsend. In the 20 months i've had it i've had one, very light period, and a few occasions of very light spotting with no accompanying cramps. I've had zero side effects, despite the awful side effects of previous hormonal methods. Progestogen only seems to be exactly what i needed, and for as long as it works like this i'll keep having it replaced every 3 years.

Oh my! What a tie you've had, sounds awful! The injection is working for me as I get no periods and such but I think that it's really affecting my mood so none-hormonal seems to be better for not interrupting your sex drive and things like that!

rainbowbaby wrote:

Not helpful but Ive had my tests done for the copper IUD and they advised coming in during my period as that's the best time to have it done (cervix is more open during that time). However it'll be delayed by another 2 months as I'm due a minor operation in that area at the end of the month. I'm hoping it all goes well for you, i know of lots of people who seem to have no issues with the coil but one that had to have it taken out. Think it's like all contraceptives, no one thing fits all method here.

Yeah, I think I'll give it a try, could go one of two ways I guess!

I'm having the same problem with hormonal, it made me really paranoid and i felt horrid. I'm trying the ring hoping that if it is more local it wont afect me so much. straight onto the diaphram if not though.

it sounds like you're pretty happy with your descision and have done a lot of research so just be fussy and if it isnt right for you change it

jackador123 wrote:

The benefit of this is its thee longer lasting of the contraceptions out there about 5 years.

Actually 5 years is the low end. You can get longer lasting ones. I chose to have the 10 year one fitted. It's so great knowing I'm covered for an entire decade!

Young and fun95 wrote:

I'm having the same problem with hormonal, it made me really paranoid and i felt horrid. I'm trying the ring hoping that if it is more local it wont afect me so much. straight onto the diaphram if not though.

it sounds like you're pretty happy with your descision and have done a lot of research so just be fussy and if it isnt right for you change it

Yeah, I have heard plenty of women say the more localised delivery works better for them. It does still get into your system, of course, but in a much lower dose. I did consider the hormonal IUD for that very reason, but because I had become so fed up with and mistrustful of hormones by that point, I decided to just ditch them cold turkey and go pseudo-natural with the copper one.

If the ring works for you, you could always take the extra step one day if you feel like it and get a hormonal IUD. I do think the diaphragm is a largely forgotten/underappreciated form of non-hormonal contraception for people in a steady and trusting relationship, though. So I have to raise my glass to that one.