disasterous surgery consultation

I am interested to know if anyone has been to a consultation at a cosmetic surgery clinic.

The reason i ask is because i today went for a consultation at a very well known supposedly reputable clinic to see about getting a £5000 breast lift. By the time I left 25 minutes later I felt completely devasted about the state of what i had until now considered an acceptable body, and had been quoted £16000 worth of surgery that the sales consultant felt i needed.

Just to give you the full picture, I am a size 10 with 34e breasts.I dont have saggy breasts but am concerned that as i get older they will start to sag which does bother me. So i went for the consultation and was asked to remove my top and bra and stand in front of the saleswoman and a nurse. I was shocked when the salewoman gasped and said 'oh yes. definite candidate for an uplift' she proceeded to tell me that my breast had sagged already and were mishapen because of this. She then held them up almost under my chin and told me this is where they should be. I honestly cant ever remember them ever being there and really wouldnt consider that a natural look. I was quoted £6000 for the uplift.

The saleswoman then said 'can i ask you about the scars you have' I said 'yh'. She asked where they had come from and i told her from an accisent i had as a teenager. She then said to my amazement ' i can always tell national health scars' and then she and the nurse laughed. She then said 'we can get rid of those for you, you know MAKE YOU BEAUTIFUL!!!!' I have scarring around my middle including a long vertical one on my stomach and lower back/buttock, and indented ones on each hip. While obviously i am bothered by these scars, i accept they are there to stay! I never realised that people with scars cant be beautiful!!!

She proceeded to tell me I could have a tummy tuck at the same time as having my scars reduced to almost invisable. I only have a 29 in waist anyway so I realised then that they were just playing on peoples insecurities to up their sales. I told her i would have to discuss any surgery with my husband because he didnt think there was anything wrong with my body to which she replied 'maybe he doesnt want you to get it done cos hes insecure and doesnt want you to look amazing'. I had to then tell her that my husband does think im amazing and i didnt think i was ready for any surgery especially not with a company that blatantly try to destroy peoples confidence in order to boost the profit!

I am 32 and quite worldly wise but this experience has really worried me as young impressionable girls or women with real body confidence issues could be so easily drawn in by the BASTARDS!

Im really tempted to complain or report it to someone but am worried i may be bein alittle hypersensitive as she hit a raw nerve with my scars.

Has anyone else here experienced anything similar.

OMG, I have never had any sort of consulation, but this sounds terrible it sounds to me like she was a complete sales person and that she was just trying to make as much money out of you as possible, I would seriously consider complaining if I was you.

Never had this happen but that is awful! No one has the right to tell you waht you should look like,or that you're anything but amazing for any reason,least of all to make a quick buck.

personallly I would complain. You went in there for a consulation on getting a breast lift,not to get a hit list of what some money driven cow wants to do to you.

Besides that ....i shudder at calling her a woman,what woman could say that sort of thing to another I dread to think,obviously forgets that real beauty it withint,her has proberly long gone under £ signs.

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/sex-tips-and-talk/162378-beautiful-scars-whats-your-story/

Scars can be beautiful.

What vacuous prats! They clearly have a warped sense of appearance. Imperfections are wonderful - they make us unique and interesting!

Adxx

SELL SELL SELL!!!

It's sadly their agenda to sell you surgery under the premise that you need it to feel good about yourself. In the same way that insurance salesmen will try to terrify you into buying their products, the cosmetic salemen will convince you that you are ugly without it and pick at every flaw - especially those that create genuine insecurity.

The sad fact is that these tactics work a lot because insecure people are going in for procedures they think will make them feel better, and in these situations it is easy to manipulate them and make them feel bad about other things and upscale the surgery for a fatter profit margin.

You are right that it's a crap attitude. Maybe you should hunt around for a more understanding and less exploitative company if you are definitely set to proceed with a lift.

i would make a complaint against them to the health commission if i were you!

yes they are selling products but this is irrisponsible and downright rude.

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/when-cosmetic-surgery-goes-wrong.html

I would be honest that it's unlikely a complaint will have any action taken against them.

Maybe complaining to them direct might illicit a response and have them consider the impact of their sales techniques, but from a professional viewpoint they really haven't done anything wrong.

Morally they are scummbags, but they have not tried to force surgery on her, they haven't used any unsafe practices, they even asked permission to discuss her body in further detail allowing them to put her in that position.

I repeat that they do suck as people, and if you complain it's more likely that a complaint to the company will have a better chance of making a difference. But given they are scum, I wouldn't bet on it.

Trashing them online might help too, as people do Google companies when considering these options

What a horrible, money-grabbing, soul-less b*** of a woman. Good on you for walking out. Don't let that witch (or anyone she represents) anywhere near you with a scalpel!!

FWIW: I have a big scar which goes right across my throat. Its from surgery that I had 20+years ago because I had cancer when I was 17. You can't miss it; its there for all to see but I've never tried to hide it. It wouldn't be possible in any case. It tells its own story; I reckon its earned its place so we co-exist quite happily

I would love to go to that clinic and watch the look of horror on that wretched womans face when I tell her that the scar stays. Stupid cow that she is....

Really sorry to hear you've had a horrible experience. I know it's no excuse, but you have to remember that these people make their money on the insecurities and low body confidence of others.

I would at least make a complaint to the company. If you're still looking to get surgery done, I'd definitely go with a different company.

That is terrible, but really, what did you expect? Their livelihood depends on people feeling as ugly as possible and being desperate to change themselves. They will help this along any way they can.

I know you feel you want enhancement surgery, but from your own description there's nothing wrong with the way you look. Even if there was, would surgery really help you in the long term?

Just think what else that money could do to help you feel confident and sexy - nice clothes, hairstyle, jewellery, pampering, holiday, and so on.

Leave these charlatans to their despicable trade, and go find out what else you could enhance your life with!

What a disgusing attempt at 'service' - hope you're not too upset by these 'professionals' - they are disgraceful!

I would complain to the Health Commission and to them direct. However, I wouldn't expect to much to come from it. There's every chance other people have/will complain too, so whilst I expect one letter on it's own may not have much of an impact, I would still say it's worth doing, incase other people have/will complain too.

I'd write a letter to the Health Commission or any other regulatory bodies you can contact, and then send a copy of this letter with a cover letter to the company you're complaining about.

It's sounds as though you have a beautiful body and a strong head because you've caught them out at their game. If you have the strength, do whatever you can to put a dampner on their reputation!

Good Luck!

MrsPx

Make a complaint!!! They are terrible.

There is no way you should have been put through this as you have a trim figure and to be homest I would also reconsider getting the breast lift... at least for a while. To me, you sound as though you have a great figure so DO NOT allow them to make you feel as though you need more 'work' doing, they are there to sell and if they can make you feel insecure with your looks so much the better for them.

As you mention, they will come across women (and men) who are less well balanced and strong than you are and they will take advantage of them. If people such as yourself make a complaint they will be less inclined to treat people so poorly.

Good for you for being outraged rather than allowing them to brow beat you into something you clearly do not need.

Best of luck in finding a better clinic if you decide to go ahead with the uplift. I'm sure you'll find one that will treat you fairly and wont try to con you into unnecessary surgery.

sweetlove666 wrote:

i would make a complaint against them to the health commission if i were you!

yes they are selling products but this is irrisponsible and downright rude.

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/when-cosmetic-surgery-goes-wrong.html

I totally agree... they shouldnt be pushing loads of surgery... complain she isnt selling cars!

You have to wonder at the sort of person that chooses to do that for a living. It's just authorized bullying under the cover of salesmanship. ¬_¬

hornster wrote:

Perhaps a complaint to the company plus a letter to Which or similar consumer organisation would be in order?

As for the comment about NHS scars I'll simply say the NHS may not be perfect but it's patched me up a few times and the scars are no better or worse than those obtained in a private hospital!

H

Hear, hear. I have the greatest of respect for the NHS. I know it has its troubles and it's not perfect, but we get all that healthcare for free. If there is anything wrong with you, they'll help. Other countries, it's a case of pay up or live with it, even with major injuries in need of immediate attention or fatal diseases.

I love the NHS, we're so lucky to have it :)

boobaloo wrote:

OMG, I have never had any sort of consulation, but this sounds terrible it sounds to me like she was a complete sales person and that she was just trying to make as much money out of you as possible, I would seriously consider complaining if I was you.

Soo agree this is not how anyone from the medical profession should behave.

I have a rule, don't trust people trying to sell you stuff. You'd be surprised how often I have to mention it to people...Pricks.

As for surgery, I really don't see the point in most cases.

I have a rule, don't trust people trying to sell you stuff. You'd be surprised how often I have to mention it to people...Pricks.

As for surgery, I really don't see the point in most cases. I did recently hear someone died getting bum implants!

Thing is, it is a sales pitch: it's not necessary surgery, it's a 'luxury' and is in the same rank as fancy cars or a designer salon hair-do, rather than getting patched up after an accident or some other non-elective medical procedure. If you're going in for a consultation, it's only to be expected that they try and wrangle in some 'little' extras, same as if you try to buy a new car they'll try and get you to go for fancy hubcaps or metalic paint or some other pish that you never said you wanted and certainly don't need to be able to enjoy the originally intended purchase as you'd asked for it.

The official complaints procedure seems to be for people who have had surgery done, and found the procedure was badly done, or was treated badly during/after, or regretted succumbing to a pressurised sales pitch, or whatever. Being offered - however agressively - more options, and not being forced or pressurised to the point that you signed up for it against your better judgement, doesn't really fall in the same bracket: they've not actively done anything wrong, only used words which could potentially have caused you to let them do something wrong (performing surgery you didn't want).

They are dicks or the highest order, obviously, but everything seems to be in line with what officially is allowed to happen. The only damage done, aside from you feeling bad (which is horrid, but nothing to base a legal slapping on), was that they lost themselves six grand's worth of customer: pointing that out to the managerial types might make them re-think their salespeople's tactics, but that's literally as much as anyone in any power is going to care. Sucks, but that level of dickery isn't breaking any rules, aside from those of polite society.

Sorry you got put through that, although good seeing that you're angry and indignant on behalf of those who may not be so strong, instead of letting their silly sales pitch upset you. I'd say for anyone else in a similar situation, be steadfast about what you went in for (when they asked if they could discuss the scars, saying "no, I'm here for the uplift, and not interestedin discussing anything else" would have made them unable to discuss anything further), and try to be firm that any refusal is from you, not bringing in a partner or other easily-attacked reason (saying "I'm already beautiful and don't want or need anything else, so please fuck off" is harder to poke holes in than "I can't afford it" or "I have to ask my OH"). Obviously, if you have low confidence, then that's much harder to do, so it is a kind of spider's web for the insecure to walk into, but that's the entire basis for the trade, and I can't see any way to change it to be any more socially responsable.

These people are terrible...I would take all they said with a pinch of salt and look on it as them trying to make a lot of money out of you.

I would go and look to another company to as these people do not deserve your money or custom.