Doc Johnson UR3 dildo smell - Allergies?

Hi everyone, first post here but I've been a member for some time. I recently received the Doc Johnson Blush UR3 dildo. I had read about the distinctive smell in the reviews, but figured if anything it may just be a distraction, no big deal. However, I found that about half an hour after I'd held and examined it (and had it in the same room, so that I was aware of the scent) I was having what I might consider an allergic reaction - mild sneezing fits, watery eyes, painful throat, congestion, and so on. I didn't bother to actually try out the dildo yet, in case it causes an even stronger reaction.

I do have a sensitive nose when it comes to perfumes and so on, and I do get hayfever etc. So I was thinking maybe it was just me, but... I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Or better yet, any idea for combating this, bar sending it back? Maybe washing multiple times? Shoving a condom over it? (My concerns with these two options would be having read various things about UR3 being slightly porous and reacting badly to various liquids. I have water-based lube at the moment, for reference.) I'd hate to have to ask for another LH refund, as I've had to submit quite a few lately. I'd just feel really bad! Also the size/make/feel of the dildo itself seems like it'd be a great fit for me so I'm just really disappointed at the moment. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with an anal dildo of theirs, never used it due to the horrible smell giving me hayfever symptoms! I'm sure Lovehoney will happily refund you.

I had a UR3 masturbator a while back, and after a few washes the smell lessened, but didn't go completely. No allergic reaction for me though!

Toys that will upset my hayfever

Also have an anal toy of theirs and thought mine smelt like strawberries? Maybe its just me.. anyway had no allergic reaction so it doesn't affect use for me!

I have a couple of toys by them, and do find them to have a sort of chemically-sweet smell, I have a seriously sensitive nose and often get nauseous from smelling nasty things other people don't even notice, but I don't really find the scent to be that strong. Never had an allergy to any of them either...

Maybe it's worth taking it out again just to see if the same thing happens, as it could have been a coincidence or something else entirely, before you use it... If it does happen again though, I'm sure Lh will happily refund you!

You could also try soaking it in warm water (just the main part if it isn't waterproof) or cleaning it a few times with toy cleaner... I wouldn't want to risk it though, if I found I had an allergy to a toy!

Oh, and welcome to the forums! =)

We had their Juli Ashton kit and the dildo and plugs certainly had a powerful smell. Washing would reduce it for a time but it always returned. The kit got pensioned off and sat in the back of the toy drawer in a plastic bag (as one of our children had enquired about the 'funny smell' and we didn't fancy answering that!). After some years the surfaces were quite sticky. I guess that the plasticiser was gradually working its way out of the material. We binned it.

Anyway, we have long since given up on any toy that wasn't silicone however interesting it might look.

If you and others are sneezing, etc then some component is being released into the air and your body is trying to expel what you're breathing in.

I had a go at understanding the chemistry of UR3, but it's left me a bit baffled. I did find a page that says most synthetic rubber is made of petrochemicals. UR3 seems to be from a class of materials that are some sort of composite of synthetic rubber and plastic (more petrochems), perhaps with additional plasticizers (phthalate is a plasticizer).

In general, softer plastics and other petrochem derivatives tend to be worse for this than hard ones because they release more molecules.

(If anyone is confused by that last part, imagine holding steam, water and ice near your nose and how much of each you'll breathe in. Softer plastics are more like steam than ice.)

Plasticizers (to make the material softer and more flexible), other additives and the processes used to manufacture the material affect its volatility, how much is released into the air or into substances in contact with it (like food, liquids and our skin). From what I've managed to pull up, I wouldn't be surprised if UR3 was quite volatile.

If it's inherent in the material (and not added to the surface), then it won't wash off or go away. The best you can hope for is that it will diminish enough that you don't notice it. But right now, your body is telling you that it doesn't like some component of the substance - that won't change, only the amount released into the air.

Btw, anything that says 'parfum' or 'fragrance' is a petrochemical derivative, which isn't something our bodies are designed to be taking in. Everyone reacts to it, some of us just do so in more noticeable and traceable ways.

This seems a good time to thank everyone who comments on the smell in reviews and to thank Lovehoney for setting their site up in a way that makes such information accessible. Buying from here is far less risky for me than elsewhere.