Electrostim health risks?

I’m thinking of using my reinstated birthday bonus to buy an Electrastim EM60 M pack.

I’ve never used electrostim toys before but I’d like to give them a try.

Are there any specific health risks that I should be aware of. I’m old (69) but healthy with no heart or BP problems.

Anyone with a heart condition, epilepsy, has a medically implanted device or is pregnant should avoid electrostim but other than that as long as you follow the safety advice, you should be fine. If you have a lot of broken or irritated skin where you intend to use the toy, you should wait for it to heal first.

As with anything, if you start feeling unwell (or just not right) then stop.

1 Like

…and even if you don’t have any of the health issues @Calie has mentioned, nobody should ever position the electrodes in such a way that the current could pass across the chest (for example: positive on one nipple clamp, negative on the other) as it could disrupt the normal rhythm of the heart.

I first discovered electrostim when it was prescribed to help me walk. My nerves don’t work well on my right side but the electrical impulses attached to a footswitch allows me to walk so it’s a powerful tool. It’s also an addictive feeling! The clinic did warn me not to ever try it out above the waist, though.

After discovering I liked the feeling I also bought the Tenscare iTouch for kegel exercises and was gifted a Mystim Truman. Be warned, it’s addictive. I do get irritation on my skin where the pads have been on for a while but you can get replacements for sensitive skin if you need to. Don’t use on broken skin.

Using the electrode pads can take a bit of patience as you might need to move them around a few times to get the best placement. Rinse the pads and keep them on the backing between uses to keep them in good condition for as long as possible. Keep them in a sealed plastic bag if possible. They don’t like drying out. The wires also need replacing quite regularly and can be a pain as they’re a bit fragile.

Without stating the obvious, always check you’re starting low. E-stim is great but whacking it on high unexpectedly isn’t the best idea unless you’re really into pain.

If you know of anyone who has had a stroke or has a degenerative nerve problem tell them to ask their GP/physio/clinic about Functional Electronic Stimulation. It’s not widely known about but is a life-changer just as e-stim can be a fantastic enhancement to your sex life.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 Like

It’s interesting what @VR is saying about the other uses of electrostim. I’ve had problems with tension headaches ever since I developed post concussion syndrome 18 months ago now and I must say using the e-stim pads during sex helps to almost ‘reset’ my head, kind of distracts me from the tension in my temples. :woman_shrugging:

@Gosig - have you seen someone about that? You really should try to follow up and not get fobbed off.

E-stim is the same thing as TENS for pain relief. It works on the nerves so you may have a trapped nerve somewhere - possibly your neck if you took a bash on the head. I rolled a car (twice - though the first time I wasn’t driving) and have taken quite a few bashes from horse and motorcycle riding. My neuro is convinced this is the reason I have a nerve degeneration disease. I think I agree with her!

An osteopath may also help. I see a good one that makes me feel almost new for a short while. Acupuncture may also help but you’d need to find a good one. I’ve tried a few but the best was a woman I saw on the NHS that worked at a local hospital. I was quite surprised to find that treatment on the NHS as although it gave me a little respite, my osteo gives me more relief that lasts longer.

Yes my dear, seen a Neurologist. Apparently it’s unusual, but not unheard of, for symptoms to last 18 months.
Much like being mental, it’s tricky when you have hidden health conditions, because I look well, I always worry that I’m not believed when I say how hard doing basic stuff is. But husband says that just the anxiety joining forces with my concussion! Brain malfunctions being effective team-workers dammit!

Ugh! Hidden health conditions. It’s so frustrating knowing your body doesn’t work like it used to but no one believes you (especially if you ‘look well’).

It took them 18 years to get a diagnosis for me so I missed all that window of opportunity for a delaying treatment. My brain was scanned when they suspected MS but there was nothing showing (not even a brain :grin:). No one thought of a similar condition, TM, that affects the cord lower down. Until we paid to go private, that is!

Even with all that, though, my biggest struggles have been with my mental health. That’s stopped me doing more than any amount of physical disabilty has (so far).

Add fatigue to the mix and I could really punch someone’s lights out when they give me that disbelieving look (I’m sure you’ve come across ‘the look’) when I say I’m exhausted just doing something very basic.

My thoughts are with you.

1 Like

As a general rule, no electrodes above the waist.