Embarrasment at the Post Office

That individual must have been having a bad day to give such awful customer service! Fair enough, ask if there are any hazardous items in the box, but on a day like that, when there's a heatwave and a long queue, why does she need to know what's in the envelope when it's none of her business? That not only makes you feel targeted, but people behind you are getting held up in the queue too! Silly woman!

Make a formal complaint against her personally, not the general Post Office (well, as long as your Post Office is generally well-behaved normally) and say you felt victimised, pressured and made to feel silly in front of others due to her stupid insistent questions. Her customer service was obviously not up to scratch.

I'm sorry this happened to you today - but it has given me some ideas as to what to say if someone ever asks me what is in my LH returns box! ;)

"None of your business"

OK

Royal Mail now scan a lot of post as it is flown instead of going by rail, new rules mean that some items which used to be postable are now prohibited.

If the parcel was going through a Post Office, rather than being dropped in a postbox, any errors they make are tracable. So accepting parcels which are oversize or overweight for airmail gets them penalised as would accepting items which are prohibited. Some sub POs are struggling to stay in business so any penalties are going to hurt.

They can ask you what is inside a parcel and they can refuse to accept it if you tell them it is none of their business. It is simplier to say ' returned gift'.

If the toy contained batteries which have been removed from the packaging the new rules mean these cannot be posted details are on the RM website

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

xGGx

Well, they've just brought in new rules which means you have to declare whether it's prohibited or not. We do a lot of post at work and this message now comes up every time we book the postage in. The new rules covers some batteries - whether the types of batteries used by various sex toys are included or not, I'm not sure.

Whether she should be asking you specifically what was in there I'm not sure. I doubt that she should have!

"Is there anything prohibited"

And

"What is it"

Are very different questions

That has never happened to me before! I've never been asked about the contents of a parcel when posting with a pre-paid label. They usually don't care so I do think the woman was just being difficult because she could probably see you were getting a bit embarrassed and was just being a ...female dog about it.

About the complaint - you should definitely complain but don't get your hopes up because Royal Mail just don't give a damn and ignore all complaints anyway.

KebertXela wrote:

"Is there anything prohibited"

And

"What is it"

Are very different questions

Would you know if something in a parcel was prohibited?

I run a mail order business so I do know what can and cannot go, but I talk to a lot of other sellers who have no idea that the vintage zippo they just sent out is going to be destroyed even though it was sent empty.

Or the seller who has angry customers because RM have destroyed a parcel with nail varnish in it.

The Post Office is a different company from Royal Mail and a PO will be penalised if they let things through. It may seem like shite customer service but it is going to be more common. It is possible that the PO involved have just been pulled up for accepting a parcel that did contain prohibited goods.

As a business owner I do what I have to in order to protect my business, that now means telling customers I cannot post out certain items. I get some who try the ' just for once' or ' can you bend the rules?' routines and they may feel that the customer service is lacking but there is nothing I can do to change that.

Complaining to Royal Mail will not have any effect, if you want to complain it needs to be to the Post Office if it was in a Crown PO or to the Postmaster if it was a sub PO.

I have never been asked that when I have been returning a parcel to Lovehoney. I think anyone familiar with Lovehoney know they use '** Trading' on their labels, and it's possibly this woman at the post office knew what was inside and was just trying to make you nervous. If that's the case, it's a very rude way to treat a customer.

This happened to me once! I thought on my feet infront of OH who looked horrified and just said its a toy. i didnt need to say what type it was just accepted and that was it. but she had no right to quiz you! x

This has made me chuckle, don't buy stuff if you're ashamed of it lol

its no wonder people using the post office is declining, with service like this and rediculous prices, i would of told um where to go!

ghostgirl wrote: Would you know if something in a parcel was prohibited?

Perhaps not, but it would be just decent manners to ask first. The lady comes off as ignorant and insulting to begin with, then to clearly pursue and harass the customer is unacceptable, at the very least!

I'd like to think I'd write a complaint in that situation myself, but the reality would be exactly the same!

The same thing happened to me the other day. Went to return a lovehoney parcel and was asked what was inside. I was lucky it was just lingerie so I simply said 'clothing'. If it had contained a toy I know I would have stood there struck dumb lol! Sounds like a horrible experience.. Though if I'm honest a slightly amusing read lol =P Bet you will be prepared next time with a good fib and they won't even ask haha x

If she asks again just tell her is a massive dildo or anal beads and watch her turn red! Nosey old bat!

Naughty nurse 85 wrote:

If she asks again just tell her is a massive dildo or anal beads and watch her turn red! Nosey old bat!

I have to say this would be my approach! But I am someone who quite enjoys winding people up. If it is said in a very matter of fact way they probably won't believe you anyway!

Hampshire Hogg wrote:

Naughty nurse 85 wrote:

I have to say this would be my approach! But I am someone who quite enjoys winding people up. If it is said in a very matter of fact way they probably won't believe you anyway!

I wish I was the sort of person that could do this. But I cringe just at the thought of it! I live in a really small village and get images of old people gossiping and than tutting at me as I walk down the street like I'm some sex pest lol How I wish I was the sort of person that doesn't care what they think..

xmorningxgloryx wrote:

Hampshire Hogg wrote:

Naughty nurse 85 wrote:

I wish I was the sort of person that could do this. But I cringe just at the thought of it! I live in a really small village and get images of old people gossiping and than tutting at me as I walk down the street like I'm some sex pest lol How I wish I was the sort of person that doesn't care what they think..

Last year my son's girlfriend tried to shock us all be talking about her sex toy birthday present that her friend had given her.

I look the wind right out of her sails when I asked her if it was the six speed version with the turbo boost!

Strangely enough she has not mentioned her toys in front of me since, I wonder why?

Hampshire Hogg wrote:

xmorningxgloryx wrote:

Hampshire Hogg wrote:

Naughty nurse 85 wrote:

Last year my son's girlfriend tried to shock us all be talking about her sex toy birthday present that her friend had given her.

I look the wind right out of her sails when I asked her if it was the six speed version with the turbo boost!

Strangely enough she has not mentioned her toys in front of me since, I wonder why?

LOL!! I bet her face was a picture hahaha

TESTING TESTING (trying to post a reply which my pc keeps blocking - fingers crossed this time!!!)

Crazyflower wrote:

TESTING TESTING (trying to post a reply which my pc keeps blocking - fingers crossed this time!!!)

OH yippee it worked lol