Extremely disappointed Lovehoney are selling NFTs now

Eh still not sure what an NFT is lol
Looked at the Twitter post and all I could get was they’re now selling fetish artworks?!

Disappointing in that it’s a massive fad/ bandwagon that they just seem to be jumping on, but I’m not sure how it can be considered ‘foul’?! Why such a strong reaction?

Check out the previous comments, it’s not innocent, it’s very damaging to the environment.

1 Like

Great colab of info from us @DanceswithPenguins we must do more lol :joy:! Think we’ve managed to sum that up between us both!
Steve.

On this topic, at 1 point they genuinely tried to start an NFT based dating website but it had to stop because of a lack of women wanting anything to do with it so a lack of potential matches :joy:

2 Likes

There’s also a common association between them and a type of person commonly referred to as ‘neck beards’ which is also a reason for the dislike (though obviously not as major as the environmental and criminal implications)

1 Like

Yeh agreed, dont see the enviro/criminal angle. More just a waste of money if anything else

Me to i must be old

1 Like

Guess if i have to ask what the abbreviation means then the post is aimed at a younger audience than i?

Damn, that’s really disappointing. Don’t they know how damaging they are? :frowning:

Non Fungible Token. But that name still is pretty cryptic so to understand what it is you should read the explanations above.

For anyone asking or still confused.

This essentially means the LH is not an environmentally friendly company, or they are at least supporting incredibly unfriendly practices.
NFT’s can also be used by criminals to very easily launder money and potentially hide way more nefarious crimes.

It’s certainly a bad image for the LH brand.

Isn’t it just that they (LH and their associate) are selling the ‘right to own’ a digital image that doesn’t really exist as a physical thing (but you can print them off)? Lot’s of ‘celebs’ jumped on the band waggon with other NFTs, have paid millions of dollars for bored ape NFTs which have now crashed in value. There are companies out there who will give credit based on an NFT image (a pawn shop).

The issue might be that a lot of the NFT images is that a lot of them are paid for via virtual money.

Surely the environment issue is the mining of things like bitcoins which take huge energy resources (and the materials for the computers). As for the other pretend ‘currencies’ - fools rush in where angels fear to tread, they generally are generated by ‘mining’.

@Quiet_ones_are_worse , I always have to try very hard to remember what NFT stands for and I’m no Spring chicken.

1 Like

Hey All, I’ve got a direct response for you from the Lovehoney team that organised our Metaverse event:

Firstly, thank you for sharing your concerns about the NFT auction in the metaverse, we are taking your feedback seriously. We always respect your opinion and would like to share a bit more information on our Decentraland activities.

The NFT artworks that we show in our Metaverse space have not been created by Lovehoney and are not sold by us – we are simply providing a stage for artists to showcase and eventually sell their work. We want to support their mission to raise awareness and educate on topics like sexual wellbeing and menstruation. None of the profits from the auction is going to Lovehoney, but directly to the artists.

NFT artists are always able to decide which rights they give away for the piece of art, so they will remain to be the original creator. The purchaser just becomes the owner, just like a physical piece of art. In fact, in Europe, where a lot of the artists are from, it’s not possible to give away full rights of the artwork.

The chosen artists used other blockchains then Bitcoin to create their work, like the Solana blockchain, which is much less energy consuming than Bitcoin. In fact, a transaction on Solana takes less energy than two Google searches, and 24 times less energy than charging your phone1.

Lovehoney has been working hard to become an environmentally friendly brand. We are a member of a climate action roadmap, we are reducing the use of single-use plastics (with an aim to be single-use plastic-free by 2023) and our delivery boxes are made from 98% recycled materials and are 100% recyclable. It is one of our biggest challenges, but we have started many steps in the right direction.

If you’re interested in reading more about sustainability and crypto, we recommend this study from Cambridge University: 3rd Global Cryptoasset Benchmarking Study - CCAF publications - Cambridge Judge Business School

References:

*1 “Solana’s Energy Use Report by Robert Murphy 2021”

*2 “3rd Global Cryptoasset Benchmarking Study 2020 by University of Cambridge”

1 Like

Love the idea of an auction of actual art work, paintings and sculptures as “a stage for artists to showcase and eventually sell their work” and “support their mission to raise awareness and educate on topics like sexual wellbeing and menstruation”. Pass on the NFTs.

I really would love it if Lovehoney started selling, absolutely not sexually explicit, but suggestive erotic art… might just pop something in Pander to Me.

2 Likes