Extremely disappointed Lovehoney are selling NFTs now

After nearly 8 years of being a huge fan of Lovehoney, being a secret tester, and on an account attached to an old name enjoying countless hours on these forums, we’ve hit a breaking point. I can’t imagine anyone here was asking for NFTs and I can’t imagine anyone at Lovehoney involved in making this decision is unaware of what a foul move this is. Sorry to rant, but this really caught me off guard and is extremely disappointing to see from such a favourite company. (The LH twitter post in question)

4 Likes

Glad i’m old and don’t understand them!

6 Likes

I didn’t even know what NFT’s were! I had to google them :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Im in your club ! lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

From the comments on Twitter, it seems you’re not the only one a bit shocked by the move.

I’m with you though, I don’t think this was the best idea for them unfortunately.

When I first clicked on the link I thought, “Oh, Lovehoney are going to sell erotic art, what a great idea”. Still think that would be a great idea.

NFTs though, nope, agree with you, absolutely not. Not a breaking point to me using the company but certainly a bad move.

1 Like

Can someone ELI5 - why exactly are NFTs bad? I still don’t understand what they even are?

Just for people who are asking what is an mdf please see below.

An NFT — short for non-fungible token — essentially allows its buyer to say that they own the original copy of a digital file , in the same way you might own the original copy of a piece of physical art or the master file of a music recording. Think of it like a deed to a house.

That’s if this NFT is the same NFT that I know of there maybe some younger slang for it now lol ( no fucking time) :joy: I can’t get one of them I’ve already got no time lol

I’m not for or against it won’t stop us shopping with LH.

1 Like

I googled and I still don’t understand. I ended up in some Sims type video. I’m grand not getting it.
Some people will love whatever it is and thats the thing with business, there is a market for everything and I just see it as there are some things on LH that I’ll shop for and other things I’ve no interest in.
If anyone wants to spell it out in laymans terms what is so wrong with NFT, then I’ll read it but as of now, I don’t care :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had to look it up and still don’t understand what it is :crazy_face::joy:

5 Likes

Taken from a website

1. They are bad for the environment, as they rely on cryptocurrencies that cause huge amounts of carbon emissions. They will continue to rely on these systems for security reasons (despite claims to the contrary about moving to other systems).
  2. They are only valuable as tools for money laundering, tax evasion, and greater fool investment fraud.

There is zero actual value to NFTs. Their sole purpose is to create artificial scarcity of an artwork to supposedly increase its value (it doesn’t do this, but the pretense that it does can be used for illegal purposes by those who recognise that fact).

Apparently scammers use it to plagiarise artists work and NFT’s at a higher cost.

@Steve_Laura69 explained what they are supposed to be used for.

3 Likes

Thanks @Steve_Laura69 and @DanceswithPenguins that’s the closest I’ve ver got to understanding these

1 Like

I’m just sitting here shaking my head. I thought better of Lovehoney.

How do cryptocurrencies, which don’t exist any more than NFTs do, cause carbon emissions?

They rely on massive, and I mean HUGE, computing power to generate the security coding that is needed to maintain the unique identity. This power generates lots of carbon.

I have seen a documentary on this, there are huge warehouses as big as football pitches filled with computers for this stuff, the power used, and the heat generated by the computers, which needs to be cooled is immense.

One thing for sure: a partner who is into nfts would be a big turn off for me.

I am very uneducated when it comes to NFTs. I thought they were just an intangible assest like crypto, so I dont get the disappointment around LH selling them?
Is it as innocent as LH keeping up with digital trends, and i guess with any business diversifying into new revenue opportunities?

1 Like

Whenever i read about NFT’s and Cryptocurrency i think “Emperor’s New Clothes” :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve got no idea what you are on about. I must google things once I come off the site.

1 Like