Falling off the bookshelf

Everyone's got a favourite book that they love but no-one has ever heard of. There are some really good authors out there who have published a book but then it has fallen off of the bookcase, never to be seen again.

This thread is for those forgotten books to be recognised again!!!

So, what's your favourite book that everyone goes "Never heard of it" at?

PS I quite like Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, and the Darren Shan Saga by Darren Shan.

PS I quite like Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman,

Thats a blast from the past!!! (I have a signed copy at home haha)

most of f my books are either course specific or classic literature or cookbooks

It used to be A Game of Thrones and the sequels but now almost everyone has heard of it because of the TV show! Now perhaps Temeraire by Naomi Novik.

Noughts and Crosses! I haven't thought about that book for a long time.

I read The Giver by Lois Lowry when I was 11. It's a children's book, but it's just... ah! I loved it and still do.

It's more commonly read in the US. :-)

The Ascent of Man by Dr J Bronowski, it was the book about the TV series a present from my wife to be in 1986 it still baffles me how one man can be so damned clever.

My favourite book is called Wormwood by G.P Taylor, it's aimed at young adults but I love it

A series about sgt Jack Crossman by Garry D Kilworth. A bit like Sharpe but set in the Crimea and India
He really knows the history as well as writing a gripping story

Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn and The Night Angels Trilogy by Brent Weeks are two series I enjoyed.

I used to love the Adrian Mole 13 3/4 Diaries one of my 1st books I read as a child

I love the Immortals After Dark Series by Kresley Cole, and my teen favourite was The Vampire Diaries by L.J Smith. the tv series they did ruined it >_<

I read Noughts and Crosses (Malorie Blackman) back when I was a teen. Loved it, was one of my favourite all-time books.

I remember reading the series: Chronicles of the Cheysuli (Jennifer Roberson) when I was younger too. I had read every single one of them aside from the last book.. Was really annoying at the time. I might start reading it again. Was a nice read. I used to read so much when I was at school.. Was friends with the librarian and everything lol.

In a Land of Plenty by Tim Pears - it was made into a BBC series about ten years ago which I saw first, then read the book but it's a really engaging story about one family over a period of 40 years. Has stuck with me long after reading it.

I've started reading Jacqueline Wilson again haaa! I don't read as much as I'd like to as my concentration isn't great. Hence starting small with the childrens books to get me back into the swing of things.
Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my favourites though, I'd recommend it -so easy to read and you learn so much from it. It has a lot more depth than the film. xx

Totally agree about Geisha - really loved the book but the film is no where near as detailed - doesn't draw you in.

Indeed. It is beautiful film though, but if you know a little about Japan already, you will create the scenery through reading the book. The ending is nicer in the book too I think. Just makes it more rounded. Plus the film misses out the gross bit with Dr Crabb! :) xx

I can't remember the film much, but it possibly really rushes or kinda ignores the war too if I recall correctly?
Argh it's suchhh a good book, read it before you watch!!!

Any My Sisters Keeper fans? If so, do you hate the film as much as me!? xx

Going off topic a bit but I'm always really wary about book to film adaptations - does anyone else insist on reading the books before they see the films? I'd much rather have my 'image' of the world and people in the book than someone else's idea - otherwise I can't stop picturing the actor/actress from the film rather than what I imagined the character looked like etc.

Back on topic - I like a lot of classics - Jane Eyre has been an all-time favourite since I was about 13 - still love to re-read it.

I do try when I can. Attempted to Read Life of Pi in prep for watching the remarkable looking film but not sure if I'm going to manage it!

It's been a while since I read Life of Pi but I did really enjoy it. Might have to dig it out for a re-read before the film comes out!

I remember reading my first Stephen King book when I was eighteen, I picked it up at a book sale for 50p - it was "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon".

I can safely say that this book is the only book to have actually frightened me to the bone and made me shiver and feel sick at the same time. It is actually plausible that this could happen and although I read it in one sitting and then gave it to a charity shop I have never read it again, I think it would ruin it.

I liked the book My Sister's Keeper and also enjoyed the Mallory Towers books when I was younger, I always wanted to go to boarding school :)