Frenum Piercings

Hi everyone šŸ˜Š

Iā€™ve been thinking about getting my frenum pierced for a while now (Iā€™m currently being a chicken haha). Iā€™m considering a bar that rests just under the head and nothing too big. Thereā€™s no real reason I want it other than I think it looks cool and Iā€™m curious.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with this piercing? Or have you had a partner thatā€™s had one? My main concern is it accidentally getting ripped out or infected!

Let me know your opinions and have a good day šŸ˜Š

Hey Thongs

Whilst I don't have the piercing myself (or a penis frenum for that matter!) I did used to be a body piercer so may be able to offer some insight.Ā 

As you know, the skin here is very thin which means a couple of things.Ā 

1) The piercing (the procedure) is very quick

2) It heals quicklyĀ 

3) The needle and jewellery they use will be a little thicker than you may be expecting. Most body piercings (like the belly button or nipple) are pierced with a 1.2mm or 1.6mm needle, penile piercings should be done with a needle around 2.2mm-2.4mm. This is so that itĀ doesn'tĀ rip out :) (Thin needle and jewellery = cheese wire effect.)

Things so consider are:

- a frenum piercing is a surface piercing which means it can grow out over time, regardless of whether you've ever caught it or ripped it. The best way to think of surface piercings is as 'non-permanent piercings' as they do usually need taking out eventually (potentially years down the line though.) That way, if yours lasts a long time, its a bonus!

- You'll need to abstain from sexĀ  and penile masturbation for a while after it's pierced (anything between 2 - 6 weeks) but peeing etc is totally fine.Ā 

- The jewellery they put in initially should be a straight 2.4mm titanium barbell for the best healing experience - no rings or curved bars, no stainless steel, gold or any other fandangled fancy metal.Ā 

Infection wise, as long as you go to a reputable body piercer who knows that they're doing, and you follow the aftercare instuctions, your chances of infection are extremely low. Don't over clean (twice daily is plenty) and only use a very mild saline solution (or savlon) - nothing more potent than that.

Genital piercings have one of the quickest healing rates and as long as you keep on top of your personal hygeine post-healing, you shouldn't expect any complications.Ā 

Does that help a bit?Ā 

Hi Jess,

Thanks very much for taking your time for all that info! I was not expecting that haha šŸ˜

Iā€™ve never had any genital piercings before so obviously I have a bit of nerves about it although that makes complete sense what you say about not having the jewellery too thin, I would not fancy cheese grating my most prized possession! Haha!

How would you go about finding a reputable piercer? Iā€™ve had a little google search of ones in my area but I donā€™t often have any luck. I want to find someone I trust fully and has a good reputation - for obvious reasons.

Once theyā€™re healed are they okay to have with whilst theyā€™re in?

Thanks so much for you advice (:

No problemo! If there's one thing other than sex I'm geeky about, it's piercings (and guinea pigs, but that's another subject entirely!)Ā 

Once you're all healed, you'll be able to change the jewellery and enjoy regular sex whilst it's in. It might be worth wearing a condom for anal sex just in case a ball came off the jewellery though.Ā 

As for finding a reputable body piercer, your best bet is to pop into some studios, and gather reviews by word of mouth.Ā 

*You'll be able to tell a lot by simply walking into a shop. It should be clean, professional and should smell strongly of Dettol. If it smells of anything else, walk out!

*Don't go to any chain body piercers (I'm thinking most specifically of Blue Banana here) - they're usually crap.

*Ask the body piercer as many questions as you want. A decent piercer will be happy to answer your questions and will know the answers without having to look anything up. Test their knowledge.

*Ask the piercer how long they studied piercing for and how long they've been qualified. If it's anything less than a 1 year apprenticeship, walk out. (Blue Banana staff get a 2 week 'course' using sausages, would you believe)

*Ask around and look on Facebook. Most body modding studios have Facebook and Instagram now, so take a look at their reviews online and also images of their work.Ā 

*You can always email/message them ahead of time to ask what to expect on the day. They should reply with something along the lines of: "You'll arrive, tell them what you want and where. They'll book you in (you'll usually need to go away and come back once the jewellery is sterile) and you'll sign a consent form saying yes you agree to have the procedure, that you're not under the influence of drugs/alcohol/medication, and that you're over 18 years of age. Then you'll have it done, discuss aftercare and that's that."

*Most decent piercers will offer a follow up appointment to check its healing and offer to change your jewellery for you the first time.

*Ask them if they are members of the UKAPP (UK Association for Professional Piercers)

*If you have any friends with piercings, ask them where they went, what the experinence was like etc

*Don't go for the cheapest place. You should be looking to spend around Ā£30-50 on this piercing. Anyone charging less than that is likely to suck, so don't go there. You DO get what you pay for. Good work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't good.Ā 

*Check out the Body Jewellery Shop Forum - it's a lot like this forum, but all about piercings! And very helpful.Ā 

Key things to look out for in a bad studio:

- it smells of anything but disinfectant (food/perfume/anything else)

- they pierce using guns (no decent body piercer will pierce anything with a gun including ear lobes - all piercings should ALWAYS be performed with a needle)

- they use numbing cream/freeze sprays (no decent piercer will ever numb/freeze you)

- they suggest tea tree for aftercare (never use anything stronger than saline)Ā 

- they don't suggest aftercare (they should always tell you how to look after a piercing)

- they don't check you've eaten that day (most decent piercers will check you've eaten to make sure your blood sugar levels are a-ok)

- they tell you they'll do it for a tenner. As tempting as it is, don't risk it. Seriously.Ā 

Where about's are you? I may be able to recommend a few studios :)Ā 

If you're near the Bath/Bristol area I highly (HIGHLY) recommend Broad Street Tattoo in Bath. Mike is a genius and even more anal and geeky about piercings than me.

If you're near London, Cold Steel in Camden is one of the best studios in the country.Ā 

Hello again Jess (:

Thanks so much for all the info - I really didn't expect someone to be so helpful so please know your comments and the time you've taken are very much appreciated!

Funny enough I am located Bath/Bristol ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif). I'm definitely going to have a looking into Broad Street Tattoo based on your recommendation, I've never heard of them before but considering the amount of knowledge and detail you've gone into I'm sure they will be brilliant!

Funny you mention chain piercers, when I was 16 (gosh 9 years ago - seems like it was only yesterday ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)) I went to one to get my ears pierced and they were so vague I actually decided not to go ahead!

Once again I really appreciate your help, this is the type of info I've been looking for, for ages! I'll give the studio in Bath a message sometime soon and pluck up the courage (hopefully soon) (fingers crossed) :D

Will keep you upated!

1 Like

Anyone remeber The Cage record store down the Kings Road,Chelsea ? it used to be in the middle of an indoor market type place.

Well about 1980 i was interested in having a nipple pierced and for some reason decided this was the place to go,found someone to do it and he was going to do that with a gun needless to say i decided against it,but did have an ear piercing and had no end of problems with it.Never did get my nipple pieced.Wish i had been able to get advice back then like Jess is able to offer now.

Thongs wrote:

Hello again Jess (:

Thanks so much for all the info - I really didn't expect someone to be so helpful so please know your comments and the time you've taken are very much appreciated!

Funny enough I am located Bath/Bristol ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif). I'm definitely going to have a looking into Broad Street Tattoo based on your recommendation, I've never heard of them before but considering the amount of knowledge and detail you've gone into I'm sure they will be brilliant!

Funny you mention chain piercers, when I was 16 (gosh 9 years ago - seems like it was only yesterday ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)) I went to one to get my ears pierced and they were so vague I actually decided not to go ahead!

Once again I really appreciate your help, this is the type of info I've been looking for, for ages! I'll give the studio in Bath a message sometime soon and pluck up the courage (hopefully soon) (fingers crossed) :D

Will keep you upated!

You are very very welcome - I'm glad I could help. 

If/when you see Mike, you won't be disappointed. He is fab, really knows his stuff and uses the best methods for piercing. 

And yes! Do let us know if you go ahead, and how you found the experience/healing. I'm sure it will be really helpful for anyone else thinking about getting a genital piercing. 

1 Like

Onlyones wrote:

Anyone remeber The Cage record store down the Kings Road,Chelsea ? it used to be in the middle of an indoor market type place.

Well about 1980 i was interested in having a nipple pierced and for some reason decided this was the place to go,found someone to do it and he was going to do that with a gun needless to say i decided against it,but did have an ear piercing and had no end of problems with it.Never did get my nipple pieced.Wish i had been able to get advice back then like Jess is able to offer now.

Wow.... Terrifying! 

It's never too late to get a new piercing, if you're still hankering after a nip-poke :) 

Hello from 2021 :laughing: Did you end up getting it pierced? How did it go?