Getting rid of that "new toy" smell?

(I'd kind of hoped this'd be a FAQ type question)

This is kind of a n00b question - what's the best/safest way to get rid of that "new toy" smell of plastic that you get with ... unsurprisingly enough ... a new toy?

I notice some folks saying about washing in soapy water, but I'm presuming the soap concerned isn't Fairy Liquid. So is there any danger in using normal shower gels, face cleansers (not spot removers, I'm talking about face washes - like the Body Shop Tea Tree one that I use) to at least tone down the reek?

I've tried hand soap in the past and that works for a very short time - but basically once the "implement" has been dry for a while, the original smell returns. I've also got that LH "toy cleaner" which also seems to dilute some of the smell. The Fleshlight I got recommended using baby talc after washing, and that worked spectacularly well, but I'm unsure whether that'd work/be-advisable for other toys.

Speaking of the toy cleaner - how come none of the operating instructions for these recommend washing them first? Or is this one of those "common sense" things that are assumed?

Hot soapy water is fine to clean most toys in, and so long as they are waterproof you can clean them in the sink like you would anything else

As for getting rid of the smell I can only recommend cleaning them, the smell will go with time, I do know what you mean though, that new toy smell is really annoying I have one at the min that is the same.

Yeah I had the same problem with a fleshlight too! but use it afew times and leave it warm water for 5 min everytime then smell well go away! plus warm toys are fun! Try and not use soaps that are heavy detergents, it could start to perish the toy!

Of course make sure your toy is waterproof too!

I can't really suggest anything for new toy smell as I tend to go for silicone, but I would really not reccomend talc for you or the toy. Using corn startch/corn flour is a much better solution.

It does depend on the material. If it's something that can be boiled, then boil the fuck out of it. Dishwashers are apparently great for that, but don't have one myself so can't verify it personally. But just filling a sink full of boiling water and dunking the toy in until the water cools, then emptying and re-fillling with more water, repeat as much as you can stomach (but be careful to air out the room, as the fumes will get horrific the more you do it. It seems almost like it burns off the smell: there's some sciency tripe I don't quite follow, but end result is that the heat makes the smell turn to fumes which you can let float out the window.

I've also brought stinky toys into the shower with me, as the steam from that has the same effect, with the added bonus that all the female gloopy products I use overwhelm the stinky fog so fumes remain minimal!

Does take a loooong time to steam it off, but after a few dunkings it should be noticeably less pongy, and requires nothing more than some water, and possibly a kettle if you're feeliung flash.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Yeah, if it is safe with the type of toy/material, then boil it, heat it, steam it as BashfulBabe says. Heating it with a hairdryer or near a heater, but be careful if it is ok to do so and doesn't melt or damage the toy.

Airing it in an open space can help.

Covering it in cat litter, or have it in a bag of cat litter or sawdust can help absorb the smell.

Washing with soap should be ok if rinsed well afterwards, but I tend to avoid that as some toy materials are porus and can harbour the soap. Though it shouldn't cause problems on the toy, it may cause irritation or thrush when the toy is used.

I had a dildo that had a really horrid smell on it. I tried all the above but nothing worked. Had to throw it out in the end. :-(

If its just the new toy smell, then it should be fine, but if it is a horrid chemical smell that reacts with the air then there is little hope unfortunately.

I wouldn't use cat litter as most contain added pesticides. Woodshaving do help soak up oily things, so if the smell is greese related it would help, but again I personally wouldn't advise it. Also woodshavings get everywhere and kinda get stuck to things easily.

I have never found the smell of a toy to put me off. (i can't smell it if i am bouncing on it )

as for why it never tells you to wash before use well yes sweetie that is kind of common sense especailly if your inserting a toy somewhere sensitive.... like a virgina

in the case of a dong or vibe why not slip a condom over the smelly phalis?

we have found that taking out of its packaging a little while before using it helps too, or give it a good wash. But like MsG, once its being used the smell of the toy is the last thing on my mind

The smell, especially with some of the rubber ones, can be horrific. I had one that would fill my bedroom with fumes and I'd get headaches from sleeping in there, until I burned the stink off.

well dick is also smelly pmsl x

M & A wrote:

we have found that taking out of its packaging a little while before using it helps too, or give it a good wash. But like MsG, once its being used the smell of the toy is the last thing on my mind

sounds like an invite

Amykins wrote:

Sweetie if they have a smelly cock shove them out of the door and use a dildo..... poor hygiene major turn off!

anytime Msg, not seem you chatting for a while!

I Tried messaging tonight you weren't responding :(

MsGirth2011 wrote:

Amykins wrote:

Sweetie if they have a smelly cock shove them out of the door and use a dildo..... poor hygiene major turn off!

Women can be smelly too, sometimes!

Julie_L wrote:

MsGirth2011 wrote:

Amykins wrote:

Women can be smelly too, sometimes!

tis true but no one with those issues would be getting close to me to having sex....

I always used to wash toys only after use, but then realised that whatever leaches out of the toys over time (particularly with silicone toys) I found mildly irritating and was limiting my play sessions (in terms of length of time or size of insertion).

Things are much better since I started washing all toys immediately before as well as after use with antibacterial handwash and plenty of warm water. At the same time this gets rid of most of the smell, so clearly whatever is leaching out = smell = irritation.

How did I find this out: tried an insertion with a condom over the toy once and realised I could go bigger that way.

Finally I have read about but not tried the dishwasher thing. Am a bit worried about the temperature causing damage.

Happy New Year,

Steve x

I use warm water and mild soap.

It depends on the material of the toy;

• Glass has no odour
  • 100% silicone has very little if any odour
  • Silicone mix has low to moderate odour
  • Most other materials have moderate to high odour, some may contain phtalates

The materials that do have odour will probably never go away, it will decrease over time but never go.

The two things you can do is wash them and secondly put some scented dryer sheets in your toy storage.

peeholepirate wrote:

I always used to wash toys only after use, but then realised that whatever leaches out of the toys over time (particularly with silicone toys) I found mildly irritating and was limiting my play sessions (in terms of length of time or size of insertion).

Things are much better since I started washing all toys immediately before as well as after use with antibacterial handwash and plenty of warm water. At the same time this gets rid of most of the smell, so clearly whatever is leaching out = smell = irritation.

How did I find this out: tried an insertion with a condom over the toy once and realised I could go bigger that way.

Finally I have read about but not tried the dishwasher thing. Am a bit worried about the temperature causing damage.

Happy New Year,

Steve x

This only works on some glass and 100% pure silicone, neither of these can contain a motor or any electrics.

It's surprising how smelly these things can be sometimes. What do they put in them?

Admittedly, I can't smell them when they're inside me, but altogether it's very off-putting, as the scent is definitely not a sexual one.

I remember one toy we had was so smelly we just had to abandon it. I'm not very squeamish but my partner was less tolerant - she would gag when she smelled it and hold her nose, which hardly helped the mood.

Glass ones don't smell, but with others, I haven't found anything more effective, unless they're suitable for washing, than leaving them out of their box in the open air for a couple of weeks. One trick is to put them in a bowl of bicarbonate of soda, but make sure of course that you dust it all off very thoroughly before using it.