Going to Amsterdam!

Hi Everyone,

I'm visiting Amsterdam soon and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on places to visit. Other than the red light district!! lol I've been looking and there are loads of museums. So any help on wheres best would be great.

When we (my and my OH at the time) went we got a museum pass, which gave us entry to loads of different museums for one price. I don't think the van gogh museum was included though.

You should definitely go to a place called the Banana Bar in the red light district. Can't remember how much entry was, but you get in there for an hour, all you can drink (this is included in the entrance fee) and you are served by sexy ladies on a bar that is on a platform waist height, so you get a good view of everything, literally everything. Some are nude, most wear nothing more than a thong. And the reason why it's called Banana Bar is the various shows they perform with Bananas! I'll leave it up to you what they may entail ;)

Sadly we didn't indulge in many shows, we were too scared! just got a postcard that was signed by one of the lovely ladies. Only made the more special as she had stuck the pen up her lady bits before signing it! To be fair, her 'hand'writing was actually neater than my normal writing!

Definitely worth checking out

yehah go for it boys

Difficult to recommend plaqces when I dont know what your tastes are but there are loads of places of interest. Away from the red light district it is an all round nice place to be, as a guy in the red light district was a pain, poeple asking if I wasnt to meet their sister or buy drugs, i was with a male at the time it doesnt happen to couples.

A few of the things I enjoyed.

- Free walking tour of Amsterdam (unfortunatly I can't remmeber the company).
- Sex museum
- Having a stroll through Vondel Park
- Having a joint at a coffee shop
- Markets
- Anne Frank museum
- Various art galleries
- Just walking around the canals and enjoying the atmosphere.

Have fun!!!! It's a beautiful place filled with friendly people.

Oops I forgot to say have a great time I am sure you will its a fabulous place, whatever you like I am sure you will find something.

Me and the OH went at the beginning of June and had a great time. Unfortunately we didn't see many places, we only saw the red light district and the amsterdam dungeons (which is great). It is a beautiful place however and is great to see by boat. I hope you have a wonderful time xx

All I can say is I'm very jealous. Very. I went twice last year, I love the city.

Have a cheese burger in the Grasshopper (the Grasshopper is easy to find - on the edge of the water just before you enter the RLD) they're amazing. Have chinese food in China Town, again..amazing..China Town is next to the RLD and is an amazing place, absolutely make sure you at least walk through it. If you're going when they're on and it's your kinda thing look for the flea markets, they're very cool. The second time I went we had a hot chocolate in this really cute cafe down by the canal can't remember the name sorry.

Visit Abraxas if that's your thing, not been actually, a place I must visit next time. Sex mueseum is quite fun and very cheap to get in.

- Just walking around the canals and enjoying the atmosphere

This absolutely, Amsterdam is just a place like no other.

One tip: if you go into sex shops in the RLD, steer clear of the bondage and 'alternative' DVD sections unless you have a very strong stomach....s'all I'm saying.

The Van Gough is def worth a visit

We also very much enjoyed just wondering around town along the canals. Found a lovely bookmarket too.

If you're a foodie you have to check out a restaurant called Humphrey's. Absolute delicious, lovely atmosphere and not as expensive as you would think. Can't remember the exact location but a quick google should point you in the right direction

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. We've got a few weeks until we go but when I get back I'll post some pics up.

Although I think we'll give the Banana Bar a miss! Not really our type of thing but the restaurant recommendations are great. Everyone seems to have only great things to say about Amsterdam! I can't wait!

I dream to see Amsterdam... Have fun there! I envy you. 

Also a fun thing to eat is a Kroket (you can find them at any snackbar) just try them, they are tasty ;)

When do you go ? Must be soon now... Theres a few of us going to Holland October half term ( with kids ) at a large campsite about 15 miles outside Amsterdam. We've already sorted out when the wives can visit ( during the day ) and the Dad's ( of course its an evening visit ) So then the kids are well looked after etc. Cant wait to hit it again as its been many years since my last visit

Boat Trip on the canal

Anne Frank museum......go early.

Van Gogh museum

Red light district. I went with my OH and we were offered a family discount for a live strip show LOL.

Best bit is just chilling, walking around and enjoying being there.

I'm back and I LOVE Amsterdam! Anne Frank was a bit disappointing, you can't go in the actual house anymore so we skipped it. But the erotic museum and tortue museum were good. Got to love the Dutch woman on the bike!!! The Hemp museum wasn't exactly great either. But it was interesting. The Dutch Resistance museum was amazing. A really moving and educating experience.

The sex shops were ok, it's all out on display but to be honest you can get all of it right here on Lovehoney. Without all the hassel of customs. (If you go, pack your metal handcuffs in the main bag) The red light district was exactly what I thought it would be like but not really my thing!

Found a lovely restaurant on Beethoven Straat called Barone Italian. Lovely chocolate shop 5 minutes up the road as well CitizenM hotel Amsterdam City Great hotel, massive bed, sound proof room (always a good thing) English speaking staff and helpful. A 30 minute walk to the main town but it's beautiful. Passed all the canals and quaint little shops. If you haven't been you must go. Trying to sort out a few pics to post but not sure how yet!? Help with that would be great! Thanks for all your info everyone

Glad you liked it.. Cant wait till October when we go.... Did you do any coffee shops

I go to Amsterdam frequently and have just returned from there.

Would definately recommend:
Sex museum
Torture Museum
a coffee shop called the Jolly Joker
The market place
Madame Toussauds
Go to a chip shop and order a Frite Oorlog and a Frikendel

Labyrinth wrote:

Go to a chip shop and order a Frite Oorlog and a Frikendel

I'm intrugued ??

We skipped the coffee shops......did enough of that when we were teenagers. We didn't get time to do everything we wanted back I would really like to go back. The pedal boats on the canal were fun.

Spocket.....So am I?! What is it Labyrinth?