Grey by E L James

kittencub wrote:

Won't bother not interested the thought of reading badly written drivel does nothing for me I've better things to do.

I cannot +1 this post enough. Personally, I think it's a cynical attempt to cash-in on 'Grey's - albeit baffling, to me - success and to basically just tell the same story from a different point of view confirms it. It wouldn't be so bad if Christian came across as a particularly interesting character, but he's so shallow, Peppa Pig would scarcely get her wellies wet, were he a puddle. I really can't envisage the reader being able to glean anything noteworthy about that spoilt, self-absorbed, self-indulgent brat!

At the very least, I hope Ms. James can afford a decent editor, as to avoid the litany of grammatical errors that rendered the first book practically unreadable to me!

Just seen the movie last night it was a bit meh to be honest but I do want to read this book, i'd love to know his point of view on things, I just hope the writing style has improved!

I hope for the sake of all you ladies out there that it is better than the film. I didn't read the books (Mrs Yorkie read them all) but the film was perhaps the worst movie I've ever witnessed.

I hate the books. Bloody hate them. But I've still ordered Grey because I'd feel odd if I didn't read the last one! Haha! Hate the story and hate the writing style. And the film was a big bag of pooo

magicnumber69 wrote:

kittencub wrote:

Won't bother not interested the thought of reading badly written drivel does nothing for me I've better things to do.

I cannot +1 this post enough. Personally, I think it's a cynical attempt to cash-in on 'Grey's - albeit baffling, to me - success and to basically just tell the same story from a different point of view confirms it. It wouldn't be so bad if Christian came across as a particularly interesting character, but he's so shallow, Peppa Pig would scarcely get her wellies wet, were he a puddle. I really can't envisage the reader being able to glean anything noteworthy about that spoilt, self-absorbed, self-indulgent brat!

At the very least, I hope Ms. James can afford a decent editor, as to avoid the litany of grammatical errors that rendered the first book practically unreadable to me!

![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)

magicnumber69 wrote:

kittencub wrote:

I gave up after three chapters it didn't hold my interest ahe came across as a drip he wasn't attractive in my head at all now Malcolm Tucker mm different again I wouldn't mind being handcuffed spanked then roughly taken by him.

Picked up a copy with my groceries this morning.

I've started reading it and so far ? Boring as hell :(

I'm halfway thrugh reading it & I'm pretty plesed seeing his his side, he's more emotional than I thought.

I can't wait to get a copy, hope its just as good as the rest.

Ordered my copy tonight.

kittencub wrote:

Totally agree. Absolutely no idea what the appeal is about these books, or even the film to be honest.

Someone showed me the first book and I thought it was atrocious. More like a randy teenager having cybersex than a work of literature.

You'll be shocked how many people don't care about this release. I work in a bookshop and upper management were expecting us to be swamped with people buying it. As if.

Two days of selling it and I've sold maybe a dozen copies. I think people are seeing it for what it is, an obvious, cynical cash in because the writer doesn't have the imagination to write something new. She'd prefer (I assume it's a she writer although I don't know for sure) to hash out what is basically a rewrite of the story rather than try to begin a new, interesting franchise.

Imagine if JK Rowling released the first Harry Potter book from Snape's point of view? Everyone would of gone "Meh, who cares?" and rightly so. Don't understand why this book is getting a free ride on this. It's the same way video game companies, or movie companies, can't think of a new, interesting concept so just do a rerelease of a film/game that did really well.

I never liked the 50 Shades of Grey books, but I respected people's opinions. However, in this case, I simply can't see why this book exists other than an unsubtle attempt from the writer to make a bit more cash. I hope it flops miserably.

/rant :P

Kinky J. wrote:

kittencub wrote:

Totally agree. Absolutely no idea what the appeal is about these books, or even the film to be honest.

Someone showed me the first book and I thought it was atrocious. More like a randy teenager having cybersex than a work of literature.

I am finding errotica on kindle with themes that interest me eg Roman times or kidnap ones something better written for a start I like using the sceneros as my own fantasies with my crushes.

Secretty wrote:

You'll be shocked how many people don't care about this release. I work in a bookshop and upper management were expecting us to be swamped with people buying it. As if.

Two days of selling it and I've sold maybe a dozen copies. I think people are seeing it for what it is, an obvious, cynical cash in because the writer doesn't have the imagination to write something new. She'd prefer (I assume it's a she writer although I don't know for sure) to hash out what is basically a rewrite of the story rather than try to begin a new, interesting franchise.

Imagine if JK Rowling released the first Harry Potter book from Snape's point of view? Everyone would of gone "Meh, who cares?" and rightly so. Don't understand why this book is getting a free ride on this. It's the same way video game companies, or movie companies, can't think of a new, interesting concept so just do a rerelease of a film/game that did really well.

I never liked the 50 Shades of Grey books, but I respected people's opinions. However, in this case, I simply can't see why this book exists other than an unsubtle attempt from the writer to make a bit more cash. I hope it flops miserably.

I take it you havn't seen the empty shelves at the supermarkets then, whereby they have been selling it at around half price.? One supermaket had around 5 copies left out of a 6 tier shelf unit another just had one. I think its going to be a slow burner perhaps unitl word gets around that its been released as marketing of this book compared to the others has been low key and also lack of a hardbacked copy which may put people off. Personally I am not keen on paper backs .

Secretty wrote:

Brilliant just brilliant laughing head off I couldn't agree more. Serves her right no one cares the film was ripped apart by everyone. My stories are not much but at least I get turned on by them which is more than this lot three chapters in I actually threw the first book out in the bin wouldn't give it away.

I still have the 50 Shades at home. I am thinking about selling it, but its in English, so not sure how easy it would be to sell it in this country, where lot of people have intermediate knowledge of English in many cases.

Or take it with me when visiting a friend this summer in the UK and donate it to the first charity shop I pass by

Laveila wrote:

I still have the 50 Shades at home. I am thinking about selling it, but its in English, so not sure how easy it would be to sell it in this country, where lot of people have intermediate knowledge of English in many cases.

Or take it with me when visiting a friend this summer in the UK and donate it to the first charity shop I pass by

I wouldn't bother dragging it all that way just bin it.

mysteron wrote:

Secretty wrote:

I take it you havn't seen the empty shelves at the supermarkets then, whereby they have been selling it at around half price.? One supermaket had around 5 copies left out of a 6 tier shelf unit another just had one. I think its going to be a slow burner perhaps unitl word gets around that its been released as marketing of this book compared to the others has been low key and also lack of a hardbacked copy which may put people off. Personally I am not keen on paper backs .

You must go to different supermarkets than I do. I work in quite a big bookshop and it's the only one in the town I live in and we've hardly sold any. I went to a big supermarket chain yesterday after work and they still had a huge stand full of them as well. I'm not saying it's a complete and total failure, but in my town, it's been a flop so far.

And where I work, it's been half price too btw, although you need a coupon for it.

EDIT: Oh, and I agree about the slow burner thing. It's actually flown under the radar and I've had a lot of people say, "Oh, I didn't even realise she'd written a new one". So maybe once people realise it's out it'll fly off the shelves. I hope not though.

Secretty wrote:

Must say I'd definitely read the Harry Potter books from Snape's point of view! ;) More chance of getting me to read that than the FSOG books.

----------

I tried to read the first FSOG because I really like the idea of being into erotic novels - I'm not immune to the charms of reading naughty things, but coudln't stand the writing style. It's so.... unsexy.

Read a little bit of the new book via someone live-tweeting it as they read it, so that's not a very fair overall view, but I was surprised at how similarly it's written considering it's meant to be from a different character's perspective. From how they both seem to think and talk in cringingly awful cliches, I guess the main characters are perfect for each other.

But I do also appreciate that some people love it, and good for them. I wish I could find an erotic book that I liked too!